Options

Honda 1000i runs the A/C.

I was stunned to learn today that my old, decrepit, Honda 1000i generator actually ran the A/C in my 2016 Outback.  It also runs my Westinghouse 600W microwave (not at the same time obviously).  I was told by many that nothing below a 2,000 watt would run the A/C.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've heard it can run it but you can burn out the compressor because it's too low for the start up.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    I'm curious about this - which one of you is right? Details please.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    When I bought my 2000, it was because that's what "everyone" on this forum as well as others said - But, the AC doesn't ever kick my gen into high gear, even at startup. So I'm suspecting we'll have to let Frank run his alot and see what happens to get an answer :-)
  • Options
    Your 2000 has an "eco" type mode, that it senses the load and then changes it's output?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Always stays in eco mode. Never shifts up with AC like it does with a high-draw toaster.
  • Options
    I am curious because I have a Yamaha 1000 and have not attempted to run A/C but after visiting Indian Wells last week (not camping) I was wondering if I did attempt to camp, whether it would run my A/C.

I looked in my manual for the T@B and the Frigidaire manual and installation don't have any specs. I went to Fridigaire website, and looked at the 5000 BTU model FFRA0511R1:

Electrical Specifications

• Amps (Cool): 4.0
    • Watts (Cool): 450
    http://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Air-Conditioning/Window-Mounted-AC/FFRA0511R1/

Is this what would be installed in 2013 T@B Maxx?

If it's only 4 Amps and 450 Watts, then a generator rated at 1000 Watts would power it.
    What am I missing?

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Way back when, it was about the startup load (when the compressor kicks in), not the running load. Once running, everyone thought it would be just fine just under powered for that start up.
  • Options
    Don't compressors cycle on and off?
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    I would think they would but all that was ever mentioned was that original startup from dead stop - Twas 2.75 years ago when I was ckecking into generators.
  • Options
    Found this article: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=9191
    Seems to be possible.

Will have to run my own experiments unless @OutbackAZ has data?

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    No data from me. I never carry the generator. Use solar when shore power unavailable.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    The startup surge of air conditioner compressors, like your home refrigerator, can often exceed 3-4x the rating of the appliance. So if our AC is rated at 450w, startup is somewhere between 1500-2000w.  However, this can be reduced or eliminated if they installed one or more capacitors on the motors (known as soft start or hard start kits).  They may have done this already for ours, in anticipation that we use small generators when camping.

Hard/soft start kits can be bought inexpensively and added to the AC yourself, but you need to remove the AC from your RV and disassemble it to install.  You might need to call the manufacturer to get the right part number too.

The startup surge rating can sometimes be found on the label, listed as LRA (locked rotor amps).  It's optional info provided by the manufacturer so you don't always find it.  As long as your generator meets or exceeds this, you'll be fine.  Keep in mind too that higher altitude reduces your generator's output somewhat.

If you have an inverter generator, it's all but impossible to damage your AC if it's underpowered.  The worst that can happen is it will trip after a second or 2.  The real damage happens when your el-cheapo generator has insufficient power to start it up, and it just sits there trying to start for several seconds while the generator is struggling almost to a stall.  It can potentially burn out the AC motor windings over time!

I bought one of those super cheapo 1400w generators on a black Friday sale, and I'm planning to test it out this summer.  My expectations are low but it would be a nice bonus if it works.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Ahhhh ha - Thanks Wiz
    Betting these are stock AC units without the kit though.
  • Options
    elgolfoelgolfo Member Posts: 22
    My 2007 dm kool cat is 11500 btu and I tried the honda 1000ie,no luck,as per this forums info,purchased the westinghouse wh2400,fired up in a second! Noted when not using the ac ,with the gen on eco mode almost as quiet as my honda.Was very hesitant in buying something other than the honda as I have used it for over 9 years with no problems what so ever!The wh2400 after 10% off was delivered from home depot for 565.00,1/2 price of the honda 2000ie which per some reports would not run this unit due to the high start up needs.
    2007 t@b,no mods at all,2013 Jeep jk 4 door,Sedona,Az and El Golfo de Santa Clara,Sonora,Mexico,
    Tim & Jill
  • Options
    That cool Kat is an entirely different beast than the provided 5000btu AC.  I hear it can actually keep the T@Bs interior at 72 degrees on a 100 degree day! 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    Wizard 1880 I've been following this thread. I was hoping you wouldn't wait till summer to try the new generator and your AC as we have been debating getting one. Anyway, thanks for all the info and updates!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Here in Texas, I run my AC with the Honda 2000 all the time during the summer and I have never had any issues.  However, I don't have any data regarding how many amps the AC draws on startup.
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    Wizard 1880 I've been following this thread. I was hoping you wouldn't wait till summer to try the new generator and your AC as we have been debating getting one. Anyway, thanks for all the info and updates!
    I will see about testing it this weekend or next.  I wanted to break in the generator first before I flogged it and that's done now.  I can heat it up inside with the Alde to trigger the AC I think.  I'll let ya know soon!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    Thanks Wizard! That would be great, and I really appreciate it.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I have good news for you -- once I heated up the inside enough, I got the A/C to kick in with the generator!

It lugged momentarily to start it, not more than half a second, and off it went.

This generator will run for about 10 hours at half load, and the A/C is less than that, so I'd figure about 1 gallon will yield maybe 8 hours runtime with it's 1.3 or so gallon tank.

The generator is a Champion 1400w/1800w that I bought from Tractor Supply for $150 on a black Friday sale.  They normally go for $200.  Amazon sells the identical 1200w model for around $220 I think, which is basically the same generator.

Being a super cheap generator, it's not capable of reaching its rated power unfortunately.  I can get 1000w reliably, but once you get to 1100w and up it starts to lug badly and the voltage drops fast.  I figured this into the purchase, so $150 for a solid 1000w generator is a steal in my book!

Other downsides is it is louder than a Honda 1000.  Put it where the sound won't bother others too much.  It's also heavier but I can still carry it fine.  It is an open frame style generator.  The fit / finish / quality is impressive for this price range.  It looks well assembled.

I performed the test at sea level, and I don't know if it can do the same at higher altitude, say 5000 or above.  I plan to test it when I get the chance in the future. ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Couple questions...
    Will it handle a toaster? My Honda kicks into high gear the minute I drop the bread.
    Is it quiet enough to meet the dBs National Parks and some other campgrounds have. One of the reasons I bought the Honda.
  • Options
    If you have a standard 2 slot toaster, check the electrical ratings on the back.  Many of them are 850w which works just fine with this generator.  I wouldn't go any higher than that, or try a 4 slot toaster (maybe using 2 of 4 is ok).

Let me research the DB rating & get back to ya.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Seems every national park has different generator requirements, instead of one standard across the entire country.  Makes sense I guess.

A forum on the Yosemite site mentioned 68 db/25 feet.  Another one at Assateague Island National Seashore Park says 60 db / 50 feet.

This generator is rated 65 db / 25 feet, so this easily meets both minimums.

However, if you're someone accustomed to the small size and quietness of a Honda or Yamaha, you'll probably find this generator repulsive.  It's not obnoxiously loud, but it's definitely no Honda.  It's also larger / heavier in size though it's manageable. It takes two hands and a strong (ish?) back to muscle it.  It weighs 60 lbs fully gassed up.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, and perhaps how much you camp.  As an occasional camper myself (just a half dozen or so times a year), I can put up with it.  Plus we use it at home to power the fridge & freezer in case of a long power outage.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA