Options

Placing and Plugging In a CPAP - Dutchmen Clamshell - Need Ideas

MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
edited October 2015 in Modifications & Upgrades
OK folks, give me your ideas and pictures if you have them. It looks like I'm going to need a CPAP. I have a Dutchmen Clamshell and sleep wheel to wheel along the back wall. I'm kindof thinking put it on the top shelf above the inside back cabinets, and run the cord through the passthrough cabinets and plug it into the kitchen outlet. Another thought I had is build a "box" to slide it into up under the back cabinets and still run the cord through the passthrough and plug into the kitchen. I don't have the plug at the back like the new ones do. Hubby already has a CPAP. He sleeps in the front part of the T@B. We simply put his on top of the Cool Cat and plug in under the bench seat.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    Also if anyone has a small unit they take camping/traveling instead of dragging your home unit along, would like to see that too, as I travel for work a LOT
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I use a ResMed S9 unit and when I'm dry camping I just use the air side of the CPAP and place the humidifier side in my storage bag.  They do make a DC converter for this unit but I have not purchased one yet.  I use an inverter for mine but might consider it sometime in the future.  

If you do use a humidifier you'll want the unit lower than where you are laying as otherwise you will have moisture running down the tube into your nose.   I normally lay mine next to me on the bed and have not had any issues as I am just using air.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice about the humidifier. When I'm camping solo, shouldn't be a problem, as I can just lay it on the floor, but with both of us in there, need a place to put it. I guess I can go without the humidifier for a few nights.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Here is a photo of my ResMed 12 volt power supply.  I do use the humidifier.   I tried it with out one night and thought I had caught a sore throat.  Eachof us users have different experiences.  I turn down the heat. The power supply is more efficient than running through an inverter.  We have a 2007 non clamshell and I put the unit behind the stove on the counter.  I do not think it really matters so long that you don't knock it over.  Off of the floor would be better for less dust.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I have one like Michigan Mike and I worried about where I was going to place it at night and finally decided to place it on the floor.  That way it isn't pulled off of a shelf and mess things up and frankly, there isn't enough room int he t@B to put it any place else.
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    In my clamshell I put the cpap machine in the shelf above the bed after removing the trays that typically go there with spices in them. I place the trays on the stovetop and then pass the chord from the plug on the kitchen side through the door into the shelf and plug it into the machine. I then hook the hose up through the inside door and let it hang out on the bedroom side with the door leaning agianst the tube. I sleep on the left side so I turn it on and run it all night with no problems. In the morning when I get up to go make coffee I just pass the plug back into the bedroom and go on about my business.
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I've just used the air side of mine and put it on the mattress next to me.  Has worked out ok and haven't tangled myself in the tubing yet.

• Options
    CCPICC said:
    In my clamshell I put the cpap machine in the shelf above the bed after removing the trays that typically go there with spices in them. I place the trays on the stovetop and then pass the chord from the plug on the kitchen side through the door into the shelf and plug it into the machine. I then hook the hose up through the inside door and let it hang out on the bedroom side with the door leaning agianst the tube. I sleep on the left side so I turn it on and run it all night with no problems. In the morning when I get up to go make coffee I just pass the plug back into the bedroom and go on about my business.
    I'm glad to hear that works! Cause with hubby with me, don't really see any other place for it.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL