Options

First Winterization--Some Lessons Learned

Ok, I took several different approaches to my first winterization based on the different sources of information I had to pull from.

Based on all the information I received from the forum and the power point presentation from LG, here are some lessons learned.

First, I bypassed the Alde despite my dealer telling me to put antifreeze in it. I'm glad I listened to the forum, because I believe its best to not put antifreeze in the Alde.

My first attempt to get antifreeze in the trailer was to use a hand pump, and was informed on my other post that the antifreeze does not go through the water pump, so that is at risk for having water inside.  I will not be using the hand pump method next year.

Second, I bought the CAMCO RV Winterization Conversion Kit Part #36543.  It would not fit in the tight space unless you remove the water filter.  I removed the water filter and it fit fine, but I will be removing it tomorrow and putting the water filter back on. I will not be using the conversion kit in the future.  Also, the likelihood of dropping that little brass cap down into the abyss behind the toilet is HIGHLY probable. Also, I had trouble getting the jug of antifreeze to sit securely on the toilet seat so I could reach around and turn the water pump on and off, etc.

This is what I plan to do next year:

I'm going to get a small air compressor and the blow out plug to blow residual water from the pipes.

Then, put 2 gallons of antifreeze into the fresh water holding tank using a funnel and hose through the white flapper water inlet (even though I know its kind of difficult to get it out of the holding tank in the spring) then I plan to use the water pump to circulate the antifreeze throughout. 

This has been a very stressful process. I'm happy to say the trailer is winterized, and sad to say the trailer is winterized. Its going to be a long winter! I'm ready to go again and I've got about a four month wait!

Comments