Options

Do you do the winterizing yourself?

With winter coming I knew the T@b needs to be winterized, but not having done it myself I took it to the dealer. Cost me $107, but that includes the de-winterizing next spring. Once I got home I removed the battery and put it in my garage and on a Battery Tender for the duration. But I wondered if I could have/should have done the winterizing myself. How critical is it to use air pressure to clear out the lines before putting anti-freeze in? Is the whole process difficult or I am just better off letting the dealer do it? 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    I just did the winterization for the first time on our new trailer last week.  I blew out the lines, and then ran RV antifreeze into the water system.  Very easy to do yourself.  I have not done the spring part yet, but it should be equally simple.

I like working on my own stuff, as I get a better understanding of how things work, and can inspect things for potential issues.  I've always done maintenance on my house and vehicles, whenever possible.
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Since I winter camp, I end up winterizing sometimes several times a season, it is worth it to do it myself, and it is a simple process.  I just use air pressure, with a T@B Q I have no bath to worry about, but even with one so long as you have the tanks cleared and antifreeze in the drains, you will have no problem with just air pressure to blow the water out of the system.

I drain my hot water tank (no Aldi, I have a hot water tank under the sink).

I drain the fresh water tank. 

I hook up a compressor to the city water inlet and set it for 25PSI.  I then open each faucet, which includes the sink, the outdoor shower, and the drain valve for the hot water tank, and wait for it to blow dry.  Once done, I put a little antifreeze down the drain to fill the trap, and I am done.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    I am a newbie also.  I winterized our 2015 Tab with the Alde system. The updated LG procedure was easy to follow.  We had to go 5 hours away for the dealership that sold Tabs. I figured I could do just as good a job as a local RV shop with no Tab experience. I did buy an air compressor for this. It was a good excuse for us to get an air compressor.  LG has a procedure that does not require an air compressor. For piece of mind, we wanted to blow out the lines and also use RV antifreeze. Please consider checking out generic Youtube videos on this topic and decide what is right for you next winter.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    A few people here have mentioned draining the glycol to the heating system when winterizing (or maybe I have misunderstood).  Anyhow, it seems the glycol should not freeze and doesn't have to be drained, just checked for proper level occasionally.  But, the water heater should be drained of water.  Basically, the Alde system has two separate and distinct areas, but only one has to be drained, the hot water heater.  Please correct me if I need more edumacation on this subject.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2015
    You are correct - You leave the glycol as is and just drain the hot water half.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Thnx PXLated.  The more I get to know about the Alde system, the better I like it.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    One of the big factors for me choosing the T@B was the Alde. Was used to quiet radient heat, couldn't imagine listening to a fan blowing all the time.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm so looking forward to no fan in the space heater this year!  But the space heater has its place in the underbed storage, as a backup. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Verna said:
    I'm so looking forward to no fan in the space heater this year!  But the space heater has its place in the underbed storage, as a backup. 
    Old habits die hard, mine is in storage too. 
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I am a girl, and I learned how to do the winterizing myself.  It is easy to learn how to do.  You can do it.  I love the Alde.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Wanderoo - That's amazing. I heard girls couldn't do stuff like that - except for all the girls I know that could of course ;-)
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hey, PXLated -- I followed my Dad around the garage as a kid and helped him pound nails and mud/tape drywall.  My T@B is my passion, and I love learning how to take care of her -- makes me think of my Dad.  Well, and this Forum is my T@B Bible.  :):)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    I have a sister-inlaw that could out do most guys I know at things mechanical or construction. Probably has more tools also :-)
  • Options
    Now guys, you really don't want to get into a contest on who has the most woodworking tools and knows how to use them!  

"She who dies with the most tools wins!"
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Especially not with you Verna.
    So, do you go into withdrawl and get the shakes when you hit the road and have to leave most of it at home?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Especially not with you Verna.
    So, do you go into withdrawl and get the shakes when you hit the road and have to leave most of it at home?
    No, but I'm trying to figure out how to take some with me ;-). I did get a bit, not really bored, but a bit anxious toward the end of my Southwest stay, simply because I had nothing to do other than camp, sightsee, read, watch DVD's and walk.  I needed some wood to keep busy, so I'm trying to figure out what I should take with me. Marquetry, carving may be out of the question this winter, hand fretsaw scrolling.....I'll figure out something.  I'm working on some decorative holes for heat in the back shelf now. Then to get the wood down for my tabletop. It's good to stay busy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Whittling - All ya need is a knife and a nice piece of basswood - duck decoys maybe :-)
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Yep, I winterize my self. A half gallon of the pink stuff in my water tank, pump it through the sink system until pink comes out, and done.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL