Options

Passport America

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited November 2015 in Camping & Travel
This discussion was created from comments split from: 5 Nights at Walmart. I found that this information could be useful in its own topic.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited November 2015
    The first time I traveled cross country, I used Passport America for the quick overnights.  Not only were they few and far between and very limited in terms of restrictions (sometimes only Sunday-Thursday or off season, etc), but many of those places were sketchier than a Walmart parking lot.  Different scenarios work for different people.  It's nice that we have options.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Lisa33 said:
    The first time I traveled cross country, I used Passport America for the quick overnights.  Not only were they few and far between and very limited in terms of restrictions (sometimes only Sunday-Thursday or off season, etc), but many of those places were sketchier than a Walmart parking lot.  Different scenarios work for different people.  It's nice that we have options.  
    Yes, I'm not renewing my Passport America membership for the same reasons Lisa mentioned. I have used it twice. One campground laughed because I complained about the lack of hot water, and I really didn't like the 2nd campground. I have many more options with my T@B for camping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I bought it in 2014 and never used it. Probably won't ever get it again. It seems like there are more dumpy than nice campgrounds in their network.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Everyone I know that has tried it never renewed - You gals confirm my observations.
  • Options
    I had a membership last year and did not renew either, though I more then made it worth it.

Most of the campgrounds I stayed at using it were OK, but I did some research on them before going, so I know what I was getting into.  I am thinking about renewing for next year as I will be doing another long trip and it does save money on campground that I am only stopping at for the night. 

There is also one in Williamsburg that accepts it that is actually a Christian campground, clean, well maintained, and only Friday nights are blacked out for some reason.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    One more thing that I'll add about Passport America is that I decided that it's best not to tell the campground that you are using Passport America until AFTER you've confirmed site availability.  I was driving through Texas on a Monday night in December a couple of years ago.  The Passport America locations along the interstate were about 50 miles or more apart.  I made the mistake of calling two in a row saying, "Hi, I found you through Passport America and was wondering if you have any availability tonight?"  Two places in a row told me that they were fully booked.  On a Monday night in mid-December?  I ended up driving more than 100 miles further to the third convenient location after I wised up and only told them about Passport America after they said they had sites available.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Yes, PPA campgrounds sometimes are not the best but in traveling across country and if it's on one's route and not too far out of the way it could be worth the nominal cost.  The wife has commented that a certain park was shabby but I told her that it's only one night and inside our T@B everything looks nice.  One great thing about the T@B is that it's not a huge trailer and like other posters have said, you can ask permission of a hotel clerk and park behind a hotel.  
    And I would imagine if one asked about breakfast and offered to pay that they'd let you partake of their breakfast the next morning.  I've never done that nor have I heard of anyone doing that but I'd be willing to bet that some have done that and are hesitant to admit doing so.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I let my PPA lapse also.  I used it for one campground, who still gives me the discount without showing my card.  AAA or Good Sam's gets a discount at most places.  Then, I'll stay one night at Walmart or Love's Truck stop out of 2 or 3 and save money too.  In the end, the average comes out to what you would pay for PPA campgrounds on a long trip.  Some truck stops have electric and/or dumps.  Plus, for a nominal cost, you can take a warm shower.  They supply the towels too.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Well, I decided to renew mine since they sent me an offer for a buy one year get one free.  That will pay for itself in visits to Williamsburg over the next two years alone, along with a long Texas trip planned for next year.

Sterling, VA