Options

"PopT@B" is home!

CodeJunkieCodeJunkie Member Posts: 50
Hi! My name is Debbie. I live in SW Mo, am a solo camper and new to pulling an RV. I still work full-time (looking forward to retirement in a couple of years) and have been a tent-camper for 40+ years. This past Friday (Memorial weekend) I purchased my first T@B from Moix RV in Conway, Ark. They got me all set up and I headed out on our maiden voyage for a 5-day get-acquainted camping adventure. I was not disappointed! "PopT@B" (her new name) and I traveled some 300+ miles on this first outting, fixed yummy breakfasts, rocked out on the radio, and slept through some rainy evenings. She was easy to pull, easy to hook-up to campground facilities, and all appliances functioned as they should. This is the beginning of a beautiful camping experience! I look forward to learning more from the T@B "family" on this forum. :)

Debbie
T@B S M@xx, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV is a 2002 Chevy Avalanche.

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx with wetbath, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Hi Debbie! Great to "meet" another female solo camper (although my T@B isn't purchased yet, I'll be retiring soon also and plan to "hit the road". Also good to hear you say it seems very doable alone (setting up, towing, etc). I'm looking forward to it! The folks on this forum are wonderful with lots of tips on all aspects of the T@B and places to visit. Welcome.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options

Thanks for the welcome, Michele!  Solo camping in the T@B is very easy and do-able for us ladies.  Hope you don't have too long a wait for your T@B.  See you down the road!

Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx with wetbath, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi Debbie and Michele,
    I am also going to be a solo camper, although my TV is a van and my friends have already claimed it as the second bedroom. There seems to be more and more of us ladies getting ready to hit the road.  I am also still awaiting the birth, my baby comes off the assembly line sometime in Aug/sept. I camped a lot as a kid and am looking forward to learning to camp (in T@B style) again. Thank you little guy for the bathroom!!  I live in California and there are many amazing places to see without having to drive too far for my practice runs. My brothers have HUGE RVs and I can't wait to pull in along side their gas guzzling monsters and park my little mouse house in their shadow. I could probably park under them even. Ha. This forum is a great place to gather practical advice and information. I have an ever growing list of things to check out with my dealer before I drive it home. And an even longer list of things to buy my T@Baby for it's first birthday. See you down the road.

2014 T@B CS-S white with black trim, TV 1990 Astro Van. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Hi Radren!  Sounds like you excited about your expected delivery.  The bathroom/shower and inside kitchen, in addition to overall size and weight, were what sold me on the T@B.  I've visited several areas in Calif, from John Muir Forest in the northern part to San Diego farther south. Pretty countryside anywhere you travel.  I hope to make it back again someday in style with my PopT@B.
    Debbie

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Welcome aboard Debbie and congratulations on your new T@B!   I don't own a T@B but do have a new Silver Shadow and they are fun since they are small enough to tow and very handy when you need to stop, make lunch or catch a quick nap wherever you are.  Look around either forum as you will find some great tips for storage and good information on camping, maintenance, food prep, etc.   The forum is a wealth of information as well as having many diverse and talented individuals as members.  

Happy Trails!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Hi Mike, and thanks for the welcome!  I looked at a SS before deciding on my T@B.  Nice, just not quite right for what I needed.  Looking forward to learning more about "minimal" spaces and how to make them function better.  Happy Trails!
    Debbie

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    What I like about the smaller Silver Shadow is that I can store it in my garage, out of the weather.   I've owned three of the Little Guys and maybe one day I will buy a standy unit like a T@B.  I did look at the T@B's but at the time I didn't have a vehicle that would handle the weight.  Only time will tell!   :D
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Hi, Debbie -- I am a female solo camper, too, and one of the attractions of the T@B was the deadbolt lock on the door!!!  Weird how women think of different options when looking to purchase a trailer!!!  I love my ClemenT@B!  I am an "outdoor cat," and I love camping, hiking, biking, exploring, and just hanging out in the outdoors. 

For storage of my clothing, I utilize the Eagle Creek storage cubes, one for each of the three cabinets in the back.  I also like the 3M Command Hooks.  I have about 10 Command Hooks in various places to hang my jacket, keys, a towel -- whatever can be gotten up off the seats to free up space.  I also have an over-the-shower hanger to stow dry food. 

I love my inside kitchen and the toilet/shower.  When I was tent camping on the Grand Mesa in Colorado last year, I had to drive 40 miles (round trip) for a shower!  I carry a knee pad so I can just use the shower attachment for a hair wash without utilizing the entire shower.  You will find your own little shortcuts, storage ideas, and enhancements. 

Welcome to the T@B community!

:)>-
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I love seeing more and more solo gal campers joining the ranks.  These trailers are made for us!  Camping is suppose to be fun not work and those monster RVs are just that!  Debbie, I live SW MO too, have had my T@b around 18 months and love camping in Northern and NW AR. Like Radren out in CA, we also live in an area that abounds with outdoor awesomeness with lots of places to go camping and we don't have to drive hours and hours!. Forums like this one and the Yahoo group (although that website is a little cumbersome) has tons and tons of info and ideas.  Comb trough all the past discussions (you probably already have) for tips and tricks and great adventures. The yahoo group has a great section on modifications too.  I love the fact that you jumped right in to a 5 day trip straight from the dealer lot!  :)  Go girl!
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    PS - post some of those photos that you took and left only footprints :)  We all love to see pictures of T@bs  in their natural habitats. :)
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Hi, Debbie, Welcome to the world of T@B. Happy camping. 
    We are leaving in T@BbyKay a couple of days for a long road trip so I will miss a lot of forum. 
    We will catch up with you in July. 
    Have fun. 
    Belva and richard 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    That should be a t@b brochure photo! Gorgeous.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Maybe I missed it before, but that's the first time I notices the window "awnings". Love the creativity, and always a new surprise.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Hi TABaker,
    I second the fabulous awnings, how did you do that?
    Waiting for my T@baby to come home
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    We ordered a couple of awnings from Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings in Chico, CA. One of the awnings is a 5' x 5' "overnighter" for which we are waiting on poles. The other "awning" - made from the same fabric - is shown in the attached photos. It attaches via two elastic straps with Velcro ends to the window when it is placed in an extended position. Besides jazzing up our little Serenity a bit, it also provides additional shade and privacy. We love it.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    Very cool! I'm new to travel trailers as well, Debbie. I put some money down on my new T@B last weekend. I'm having my trailer hitch put on this week and I'm picking up my baby next weekend. I'm super excited. I probably won't have a chance to go camping right away but I plan on getting at least one weekend trip in before stuff gets hairy at work. After that, I'm planning at least a week long trip. BTW, I'll probably be doing this solo most of the time as well (including my dogs, probably) since my significant other is not too keen on the camping stuff. Nice to see all the ladies camping solo!

Paula, love the awnings!
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    I agree, very very cool. My T@Baby won't roll off the assembly line until late in August but I MUST have some cool awnings to welcome him home. You can keep them on, flat for transporting, up at the campsite all the time? Thanks for the tip! Did you notice TaBaker has a little flower box attached as well? Lovely touch. I am probably going to steal that idea as well. Ha.
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    Welcome, Debbie! I'm new here too - we've had our baby, Lei-la, for a little over a month. I'm totally obsessed with her and camping, to the extent that I really do not want to work anymore! I just want to hit the road and go wherever I'm drawn. I'm married but planning on camping solo at least some of the time. I enjoy and need solitude and camping in a T@b is perfect for it. The folks on this forum as just wonderful and we are looking forward to meeting some of them at at the rally in August. Again, welcome and happy trails to you! Elaine
    Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain
  • Options
    Thank you all for the welcome!  I love all the creative, fun stuff you are doing with your T@Bs.  I spent the weekend glamping my PopT@B with new throw pillows and curtains. The awning and slip covers will be next.  Probably need to make a run to Lowe's for some shelving/storage items.  I'll post some pix after I have her all dressed out.  In the meantime, work takes priority...until the weekend arrives again.  Happy camping everyone!  
    Debbie

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    edited June 2014
    Instructions, measurements, etc., for window awnings are on the Yahoo owners' forum, as well as the T@B Facebook page.  It can be addictive. lol  I have the set pictured above, as well as Christmas, Packers, and a funky set.  You need to remove them for travel.  You can leave them on with the window down, but I don't fasten with window with them on.  I don't want to cause issues since the straps would be between the seal and the window.

See the bike pictured above?  I had to laugh when hubby and I were camping several weeks ago and riding the bike trails around this COE area.  It was unusually cool, so I was wearing a hoodie.  My shih tzu rides in the basket. As we were riding across the dam I realized I must look like Eliott with E.T. in the basket!  Never a dull moment....
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Here is my "overnighter" awning by Marti. I bought the poles locally.

And our Green Bay Packer window awnings :D
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Thanks TABaker,
    I have been talking with Marti and am in the process of getting some sample materials for the window awnings. Thanks so much for the information and sharing your tips. 
    Can't wait to be in my T@Baby
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    Crystal, I love seeing all of your various set-ups. Do you use your "Overnighter" awning very much?

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    Radren, you can make your window awnings from home decor fabric.  I just buy mine at JoAnn Fabrics.

PaulaK, thanks :D I sold my overnighter.  After buying the Visor, I didn't use it much.  The Visor doesn't have poles for my dogs to tangle in.

In the beach photo above, it looks like my T@B has a dutch door. lol  I wish!  There's a chair sitting in front with a yellow towel across the back.  Deceiving.

• Options
    Thanks T@Baker,
    I don't sew but my Mother is a whiz. So I got two awnings to start off and for a pattern and eventually will able to have some choices for where my T@Baby takes me. I don't have my T@B yet and already have too much stuff for it. I just ordered the BAL leveler and another battery monitor. I am going to ask my dealer to secure me an extra set of fuses to ship with my T@Baby. Thanks so much for all the help.
    Can't wait to be in my T@B 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    I don't sew either. lol  But I did make the window awnings.  They're easy peasy.  I did mine by hand at the kitchen table.  Good idea on extra fuses.  I need to pick up some to carry, as most do.  When does your baby arrive?

• Options
    My T@Baby should roll off the assembly line sometime in August and the stork should bring him to me in California,  late august to sept. It is hard to wait, I just bought a BAL leveler, this site always has such good information and tips, there is always great stuff I apparently NEED to be ready. Ha. The fuses seem to be a simple but important part of the T@B maintenance kit I want to build. Although I am still very confused about what fuses to get. There seems to be confusion about the actual kind of fuses to use. How can the fuses it comes with already be obsolete?  That seems odd. My dealer is almost 2 hours away from me and I don't think they even do repairs. The reason I chose them is that they regularly camp with their customers. That really impressed me. So I am trying to be proactive about as much stuff as possible. Your awnings (and your pictures) must paint such a relaxing and fun adventure each time you go out. I can't wait.
    Thanks so much!

The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy fuses until you get the T@B.  I wasn't aware of an issue with fuses, but I know most owners carry a spare.  Heck, I am on my 5th season and haven't replaced a fuse yet in my '07.  Okay, now that I just jinxed myself....

• Options
    Hi T@Baker,
    I am trying not to buy ANYTHING until I get the T@B but it is so hard!!  I agree, either you get lemon fuses or you don't. I am crossing my fingers and toes to unjinx you.
    Thanks so much for the advice and tips. 
    The Mouse house and me