Options

The Southwest - Where & Why?

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
Last year I was a newbie to spending the winter half of the year in the southwest so I know of some of the places to go and see but am interested in what others recommend. I kind of define the southwest as a horizontal line across the northern boarder of AZ west to the coast and east thru NM - an area of moderate temps, rarely below freezing (that would exclude higher elevations with snow -or the potential). There are a few areas thatescape the northern boundry though.
Am thinking the list could be in the format... State - Nearest Town - Area/Campgound (type: BLM, etc) - Why (the most important part)
Ok fellow snowbirds, have at it.

Comments

• Options
    CA - Lone Pine - Alabama Hills (BLM)
    Big old area not too far west of town where a lot of old westerns were made (movies/TV series). The main road is called Movie Road. You can set up back in the bolders, look out over the valley with a western view of Mt. Whitney. I didn't visit last year until Feb. The temps right now - while not extremely cold - are on the cool side. Nice little town also.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited November 2015
    Tonto National Forest, Cholla Campground. Solar toilets and showers. Absolutely no electricity there. Water available every few campsites. The Honey Wagon comes twice a week and you drive to it. 

Get camping passes at convenience stores in Apache Junction or other places. $3/night with Ole Geezer pass, $6/night for the kids. 

The campground is on Roosevelt Lake, lots of water sports, lots of really good scenery. 

Near the Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park which is dog friendly, by the way.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Coyote Howls Campground, Why, AZ. $9/night, or $40/week, or $120/month. No electricity. Bring your solar panels. Water spigots located throughout. You can park anywhere, as long as you don't damage plants or water spigots. There are 4 or 5 restroom buildings with flush toilets and showers. Hot water in shower 50 cents for 3 minutes. Hint: run hot water in sink before shower so you get full 3 minutes of hot water. You drive to the electrified Coyote Howls West to dump, I think. Laundry is available, but a bit more expensive than most. 

It's about 30 miles from Organ Pipe National Park. Take the driving tour through the desert-- it's educational. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Dateland RV Park, Dateland, AZ east of Yuma off of I-8. Full service campsites (electric, water sewer) at each campsite for only $18/night. I love the price, I love the full service campsites. Laundry price is reasonable and has clean bathrooms and showers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    White Tank Mountain Regional Park, west of Phoenix. $30/night with water and electric, dump station available. Clean restrooms and showers. Lots of hiking trails, great view of the Phoenix "bowl". Great view of the Luke AIR Force Base. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Lost Dutchman State Park, Apache Junction, AZ. This park is at the base of the Superstition Mountain, which I will once again try to hike part of the trails. There are many trails going up the mountain. Spacious campsites, water and electric or there are non-electric sites available also.  Dump available. Be sure to go to Tortilla Flats restaurant....great food, extremely twisting and turning road with lots of switchbacks. Good views of the Phoenix "bowl" also.   Lots of local attractions, shopping and laundromats. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks Verna - Anyone else got some recommendations/likes?
  • Options
    Verna - What's the camping pass for Cholla about? Something different than just driving in on your geezer pass?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - What's the camping pass for Cholla about? Something different than just driving in on your geezer pass?
    Yes, totally different than just our Ole Geezer Pass. I went to a gas station in Apache Junction, showed my Ole Geezer pass and she got out the Senior tickets. You need one per day that you are there. Fill it out, leave it and your pass on your dash.  Rangers come by periodically and check them through your window.  These tickets are for all of the campgrounds in the Tonto National Forest (to the best of my knowledge). There are some places closer to Roosevelt Lake that sell them. 

Why, you ask? There are no ranger ticket takers at the many campgrounds. The tickets I bought in March of 2015 are good into 2016. I bought 10 tickets, used 6 of them, so I have 4 left for this upcoming winter season. 

A couple I met had taken a beautiful picture of willdhorses in a meadow somewhere around the lake. I need to contact them when I get back out there to see where the horses are. 

And, there are also some BLM campsites (free), around the lake. Not many, according to the Ultimate CG, but first come , first serve. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    In addition to where to camp, here's some camping advice for State Parks in Arizona. 

As it gets warmer in Arizona in late February, early March, more and more people are camping. If you want to stay at a State Park and their campsites are full, ask if they have any overflow sites. These are normally in a parking lot, no electricity, and are charged at the dry/dispersed rate ($15+/ night). You are allowed to use water, but it's either at the restrooms or maybe at a campsite. You are also allowed to use the restrooms and showers, if available.  Their normal rules for generator use does apply.  It's better than trying to find a BLM campsite late in the day. 

And a a neat thing about Arizona State Parks is that they have dish washing sinks on the outside of their restroom buildings. Hot /cold water, deep and large sinks. So much easier to use than to use your own fresh water.  Take your dishwater soap, towels, dirty dishes, grill grates, utensils and be done quickly. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Ahhhhh - So you stop and get/buy a bunch making sure you're covered for whatever time you think you may be there (or more) - Ok, good to know. What happens if you show up not knowing about that?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Ahhhhh - So you stop and get/buy a bunch making sure you're covered for whatever time you think you may be there (or more) - Ok, good to know. What happens if you show up not knowing about that?
    Somewhere, it is posted at the campgrounds where to get the tickets. I asked Campers I met and one showed me what the tickets look like. 

And, there is a fine for not having an up-to-date ticket. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I like dead horse state park in cottonwood. . There's fishing, hiking, bird watching. (In fact there is a big birding festival in April).  Easy access to town. Old cottonwood has some neat restaurants and wine tasting.  Yep-AZ makes good wine and you're near wineries here. Plus-short drive to Sedona.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Oh, 2 other short day trips from dead horse: Montezumas castle park (Indian cliff dwellings) is not far and interesting to see.  Jerome-an old, deserted mining town on a hill taken over by free thinkers and artists. Neat shops and a good restaurant called Grapes and great views of the red rocks of Sedona. 
  • Options
    Cbarnhill, I've been to Dead Horse Horse and Montezuma's castle, but that was in May. I don't know what the temperature is like in Jan-Mar, plus what is the likelihood of snow?  I'd hate to drive to Jerome on snow!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2015
    If you make it up the mountain at least you can get a ghost burger Verna and some wine at the local shop to calm the nerves and white knuckles!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Verna:you're right to worry. I would not want to drive up that hill in snow. I did a search and the coldest temp is January from 33 to 55. I would check the weather on the day you head up there. If snow, hit the wineries. Mike-I understand they changed the "asylum" to an art studio.  :o
    Cindy