Options

New here, Hello!

BluhollyBluholly Member Posts: 19
Just about ready to order an Outback. I will be down sizing from a Motorhome but feel the TAB will be perfect for our dog show hobby.  Usually it's just two pugs and my self.  I do not have hook ups about 50% of the time, I am hoping the propane will be easier to use, and last longer? Am I correct that a 2000 sized generator will run my air conditioner?  Sometimes shows last 5 days....in a field/parking lot....no shade- I do use an easy-up for shade.  Seeking the best advice on keeping cool or keeping warm for two spoilt little pups :) So much excellent advice on here, I have really enjoyed the research.  :)

Bluholly Pugs
2016 Silver & Black Outback
Kilmarnock, VA.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Welcome aboard.
    Yep, a 2000w will work fine for the air. Actually, the 2000w is just needed for the startup of the AC then it settles into less of a draw.
    Depending on temps, my propane lasts from one to three weeks when I'm heating it every night. If you don't need heat and just use it for cooking it lasts quite a long time.
    For those times without hookups where you don't need air, you might consider adding a solar panel. I pretty much do dry camping most of the time and live off solar. I only bring out the generator for rainy days or to run the AC.
  • Options
    I have only been getting 16 hours on one built in tank of propane on my motor home and supplementing with electric heater when on shore power, hoping the smaller space in the TAB will be more practical to warm up and cool.  Am I correct that I can pull the propane tank and pop in another easily???  Thank you PXlated!
    Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    I don't find it much of a chore to swap out propane tanks - Just did it this morning. If you bolt it in, it's more work but my tank fits the cradle fairly tightly so I just leave the bolt out and have never seen any sign that it's shifted/moved at all.
  • Options
    :) almost ready to commit.....but the 2016 I am looking at doesn't have the new tank level thingy or the digital Alde control.  Wait some more or take it off the lot.......pondering still, love the Outback S tho, very practical for kinda lumpy field camping...not rocky or anything-just un level.
    Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    Wait/Take - When do you plan on camping? Any idea how long a new order would take right now? Any way the dealer can add those options.
    Personally I don't feel any hardship not having them on my 2015. Ya kind of just get a feel for how fast you use water and how fast your tanks fill and the manual thermastat works fine.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

I've had my Outback for a few months now and have really enjoyed it.  However, I would NOT recommend this model unless you need the extra ground clearance.  There is a significant price difference between the Outback and a normal TAB.  The cool looking tire rack is just that - cool looking.  Others on this list believe it can only carry an additional 24 pounds of stuff.  Also, some have had bad experiences with putting a bike on it (like falling off while driving).  The aluminum platform is a must have for me, but can be easily purchased separately and added to a normal TAB.  Also, the two front stabilizer bars are too short to touch the ground because of the added ground clearance (very bad design). Just my two cents worth.  Again, I really enjoy my Outback and do not regret the purchase one bit.

Frank

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    They didn't make the Outback when I got mine a year+ ago and I've been in the boonies alot without the extra height of the Outback. Have only had a couple times where I've had to abort and that was out in some isolated BLM land. I can usually pick my way thru without much trouble. I have unhooked at the entrance to some remote stuff and gone surveying to see what route works.
    I've thought a lot about whether my next one would be an Outback or not and I'm not sure it would be.
    Also, you can have a regular T@B retrofitted with the T@B axel - Jenn here on the forums had that done. So, you could start with whatever T@B you like and if you feel you need the clearance, have it retrofitted.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Take a look at the T@B Max S and compare based on how you plan to uSe them...the costs .  We have a max s and just added the platform ourselves and no big deal and we are 69 and 67. And our Honda 200i runs everything. You can get the platform added in and order or have the dealer install one.  Plus the new table is coming out.
    Take a breath and re think
    "joho"
    good luck and have fun the Forum is a great place to learn from

John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Thanks!  The fields and Fairgrounds we set up at are not always level, hilly on some but not too bad. Yes, had thought of adding the front shelf to other models....I do like having that tire out of my way tho and a shelf to carry genny......Moho is low to the ground and top heavy so I really have to watch it...will not miss it.  It was cool at first cause whole family could go along.....they got tired of that....so it's usually just me and the dogs working on their titles.  The TAB was on my radar three years ago....back to it again :)
    Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    Looking at a  5 day cluster of shows....Jan. Fredericksburg VA. ( no hook ups).  Richmond VA later in Jan. with hook ups.  Freezing for sure.

Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I chose the Honda 2000i over others as there are dealers everywhere so if I had any trouble there'd be somewhere on my route no matter how small the town. The Honda seems to be the gen of choice on the camping circuit followed by the Yamaha.
    Also, not knowing if I was going to actually need it, I knew I could easily sell it - probably even one-on-one in a campground.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Bluholly said:
    :) almost ready to commit.....but the 2016 I am looking at doesn't have the new tank level thingy or the digital Alde control.  Wait some more or take it off the lot.......pondering still, love the Outback S tho, very practical for kinda lumpy field camping...not rocky or anything-just un level.
    There is a new table design coming next year too.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Looks like they're now shipping the Languna table mount.
    There's always something new coming/shipping. You'll never order if you wait for every new rumor/feature. And the minute you get your T@B there will be a new feature shipping.
  • Options
    I was close to buying the Westinghouse 2400 last week. Then a read a negative review on Amazon that said the unit will not work above 7,000 feet elevation. Just read all the reviews before buying.
  • Options
    I hear the factory will be offering a washer/dryer option soon.  And a wet bath jacuzzi. And oh yes, a propane pizza oven.  Maybe better to hold until then.
  • Options
    Agree on new things coming out all the time.....I will be ditching the big table and make a few slats up for hubby,  Have some tray tables.....but silly ol me wants to try the new table and cut a TAB shaped top for it!  Of course the dealer wants me to take their stock first, but y'all are giving me ideas!  Thank you!!!!!!
    Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Bluholly said:
    Agree on new things coming out all the time.....I will be ditching the big table and make a few slats up for hubby,  Have some tray tables.....but silly ol me wants to try the new table and cut a TAB shaped top for it!  Of course the dealer wants me to take their stock first, but y'all are giving me ideas!  Thank you!!!!!!
    I would love to find a retro type diner style tabletop made of modern lightweight material, but that sounds fun, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Just order some formica Aqua Dotscreen Laminate, glue down and you have a diner.  
  • Options
    But if I have a diner, then I'll need a gum chewing waitress.
  • Options
    Every time this thread pops to the top of the list, I think one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yL7VP4-kP4

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Cute JKJenn, I will also be using my JK as TV.  One thing I am curious about: the measurement of the side bench tops without the cushions(width x depth- just the plain plywood tops) and the height of the ply wood top to the window bottom.  There are times I have to have two puppy crates stored there. Passenger side best.  Don't worry, pups ride in jeep with momma when driving.

Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    Getting ready to hit the road, so, can't, measure now, but they would have to be tiny crates to both fit. Rocky's crate is 24.1" x 16.7" x 14.5" and takes up that whole bench. I couldn't fit two on the bench.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    My travel crates are 13.5 wide, 16.5 tall and 18 deep.  

Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    Passenger side bench on Max-S... 21" x 31" - 19 7/8" from plywood to bottom of window frame.
  • Options
    Thank you, thank you!  Looks good so far.  Those measurements had me wondering the most.  

Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    I believe it's because the air is thinner. I know on the larger generators on the A's I had to adjust settings on our gen set when in higher elevations.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    I remember back in the old carb days, if you were going to spend time in the mountains you'd stop in Denver and have everything reconfigured. Used to do 2-3 ski trips a year out west and the cars just didn't run that well at high altitude.
  • Options

Here is the Amazon review I was referring to:

21 of 25 people found the following review helpful

Seems to be an excellent inverter generator design

By David on June 16, 2015

Verified Purchase

Seems to be an excellent inverter generator design. I did have to re-gap the spark plug before it would start on one or 2 pulls as advertised. The specs called for .032 inch gap and the product came with the spark plug gapped at .028 inches. After re-setting the gap it starts easily. Now, however, I have to try and return it for a refund. Why? Well I purchased this as a source of power to go camping with. I live in the
    Denver area and it runs fine here. However, the camping is in the mountains and I just learned the reason it would not start this weekend was that it can't run above 7,000 feet! We were camped at 7,500, and most places we travel with our RV are 8,000 and as high as 9,500. Westpro Systems tells me there is no replacement carburetor jet to fix this mixture issue, and therefore it's of no use to me. It would have been nice if their product information on-line, or the specifications on-line made some note of this altitude issue. If you live or play at altitude, buy something else.

• Options
    Just never go west boo - of course you'll miss half the country ;-)
  • Options
    Am I correct if the genny has a 20 amp plug that you use a 30amp adapter?  What's the best way to carry extra gas safely?,,,,gas can type?  That Westinghouse sounds good for what I need it for...
    another silly question....If using propane to heat, is this using the battery to fire the furnace constantly, or just start up ignition?  :bee: 
    Bluholly Pugs
    Kilmarnock, VA.