Options

Do not dilute the glycol supplied by Pleasant Valley. Change glycol every 2 years

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
Thanks to an owner who called me, and sent a follow-up email, we have the official answer from Ed at Pleasant Valley. 

Do not dilute the glycol that is supplied by Pleasant Valley that goes in the Alde. It has already been diluted. 

Also, per Ed, Pleasant Valley recommends changing your glycol , every two years. 
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2015
    Verrry interesting news, Verna. Thanks.

I suppose that covers replacing it as well.

100% propylene glycol eh? The only info I've been able to find about it sez that it will offer freeze protection to -74°F at 100%.

That ought to be enough, even for Ontario camping.... B-/ !!!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I sure hope I never see that temp!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Did we figure out how to drain the resevoir?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I hadn't see that question before, Jenn. Just curious, why do you need to drain the reservoir? When changing the glycol? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    I hadn't see that question before, Jenn. Just curious, why do you need to drain the reservoir? When changing the glycol? 
    Chan mentioned that Alde recommends it every 5 years.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Isn't that tube sticking out the bottom of the T@B beneith the Alde with the plug in it the drain? Thought that's what was determined.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Jenn, I think I said 2 or 3 years. That's why I tested the ph and freeze point.

I think I can post a picture of the drain plug for it.

Odd that Ed says to use 100% glycol. The Alde manual specifies no higher than 50%.

I'll bet Ed is referring to the premixed 50% stuff.

Any chance you could confirm this Verna?

Deltaboy posted a bit from the Alde manual that conflicts with that, here's a clearer copy:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Chan, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this. Pleasant Valley answered in an email, they are the ones that have to stand behind the warranty, especially if the info is contrary to what Alde says. I have sent another email asking how often the glycol needs to be changed. I heard 2 years yesterday, but you guys all say 5+ years. I have to take Pleasant Valley's word for whatever they tell me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Unfortunately your warranty would be over by the time you need to chage it :-(
  • Options
    Verna, I heard 2-3 years, also.

I'll try contacting Ed via email, with a copy of this Alde manual page, and ask him if he was referring to the pre-mixed glycol.

Don't want you stuck in the middle, ever! :-)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Just checked the gallon of Prestone LowTox I bought.  It says not to use undiluted.  Mix ratios - 50% LowTox/50% water = -26 degree F.  67% LowTox/33% water = - 76 degree F.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    5 was off the top of my head, not saying it was accurate.

• Options
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited December 2015
    The Alde note above indicates that pre-mixed glycol should be used if possible. If the glycol is full strength it should be mixed with water. Seems pretty clear.

I checked Amazon and both pre-mixed and concentrated glycol is available. I suspect the factory has a supply of pre-mixed glycol available since they wouldn't want the workers mixing the glycol for every trailer. That may be what Ed's email is referring to. Probably wouldn't want to further dilute pre-mixed glycol.

It would be nice if that could be confirmed.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I heard back from Ed.

Photomom had it right. The Alde manual is what you should go by.

If you by non-diluted glycol, it should be diluted to the appropriate concentration.

If you buy the 50/50 premixed/diluted glycol, you should not dilute it.

The glycol at the LG factory is already pre-diluted, so should not be diluted further.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I heard back from Ed.

Photomom had it right. The Alde manual is what you should go by.

If you by non-diluted glycol, it should be diluted to the appropriate concentration.

If you buy the 50/50 premixed/diluted glycol, you should not dilute it.

The glycol at the LG factory is already pre-diluted, so should not be diluted further.

Thank you, Chan!  I will change the title to this thread. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Also, per an email from Ed this morning, the glycol should be changed out every two years. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Isn't that tube sticking out the bottom of the T@B beneith the Alde with the plug in it the drain? Thought that's what was determined.
    Do you pull the plug from inside of the reservoir? I am not certain I know exactly what you are referencing.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Sorry Jenn, I haven't gotten out to my Tab yet to snap a picture, but I thought someone else had posted a picture of the little stub of a hose, with a plug in it, sticking out the bottom of the Tab near the Alde. It would be about the same diameter hose as the rubber glycol "radiator" hosing is, that runs to each radiator in the Tab.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Jenn - When I was under my T@B, there was a tube coming through the floor (roughly beneith the Alde) that had a plug in the end unlike other tubes that did not. So, I just presume you pull the plug (stopper) out of the end of the tube and the Alde drains - Don't know if that's correct but that's my takeaway after being under there.
  • Options
    Thanks, @ChanW- I crawled under there this weekend and know exactly where it is.

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    And from page 4 of Alde Operating Instructions...

Confirming what Ed stated in email referenced above. Every 2 years on glycol exchange.