Options

Hail and snow

radrenradren Member Posts: 229
Hi Everyone,
I have a friend interested in getting a T@B but she lives in an area that damage to the undercarriage from snow and damage from hail to the body of the trailer has ruined other trailers she has had in the past. Anyone know about our undercarriage and how it holds up or how the trailer body would handle hail?
Wanna be in my T@B
The Mouse house and me

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    So far so good with mine in the hail we had a short while back.

The worst hail affected trailers are "stick and tin," which most would recognize as sided with aluminim panels. They dent with the quickness.

The sides of the T@b are similar to the filon laminated sidewalls on higher end trailers, and wojld take damage only from significant hail events... and I mean SIGNFICANT. Some states have that baseball stuff, you won't know until you experience it.

The roof and shape of the T@b seems relatively hail friendly... it's not flat, and the roof is alumaskin hardshell as opposed to what is basically a layer of rubber over paneling (which is what you'll find on stick and tins). In those, the rubber is usually ok, but the luan paneling underneath might get dimpled. Opinions vary on how much of a crisis this really is.

Skylights and roof structures are at risk... the tab has minimal, only a fantastic fan cover. The ac unit vents out of the side instead of being roof mounted, so that is a plus.

The bottom line? If she lives in hail country, carry a low deductible comprehensive insurance plan, and consider a carport to store the t@b beneath.

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the information Xpadrex. Do you have any additional info on the undercarriage and rusting issues from snow?

The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Salt is the enemy. If it's in storage, she can block the underneath... ...but rust never sleeps. The undercarriage WILL rust... ...but it can be sanded and hit with rust inhibiting paint from time to time. Moisture, rust... these are hazards all trailers face.

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Thanks Xpadrex, 
    I live in California and unless you go up in the mountains alot, we don't have those kinds of problems. However I am hoping my friend in Colorado gets a T@B and these have been concerns with other trailers she has had. This will hopefully give her some more information about the problems and how well our T@Bs can stand up to weather in general. 
    Wanna be in my T@B
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

I have a PahaQue cover which protects against hail here in Denver, Colorado.  As for the undercarriage issue, any damage could happen no matter where you live or tow your T@B to.  I would recommend inspecting the underside of the T@B every few months.

:)>-
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)