Options

Bedding for T@B's

PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
edited June 2014 in Tips & Tricks
The majority of the time we spend in our T@B’s is probably spent sleeping so it’s pretty darn important to optimize the quality of that sleep. Due to the space constraints of our tiny trailers we also can’t load them up with box springs and mattresses. I’d love to hear from you about the bedding options you’ve chosen along with any tips or tricks for making the transition from dinette to sleeping area easier.

Standard Bed Sizes:
Twin 39 in × 75 in
Full 54 in × 75 in
Queen 60 in × 80 in
King 76 in × 80 in

T@B Bed Sizes:
Q/S/U 70 in x 73 in (front to back or back to front)
L/CS 58 in x 70 in (wheel to wheel)

Sample questions:
a) Please identify which T@B model you own – or plan to own.
b) Which direction do you sleep?
c) Do you make up the entire bed as configured above?
Or alternatively do you make up only a portion of the bed?
d) How often do you switch between the bed and dinette?
e) Do you use the table for sleeping?
f) Do you also use the table outdoors?
g) Do you have slats and rails?
h) What type of bedding do you use?
i) What size bedding do you use?
j) How many layers do you use?
k) Where do you store your bedding when not in use?
l) Have you discovered any special tricks that work well?
m) Have you tried something that just didn’t work out?
n) Are you satisfied with the quality of your sleep in the T@B?
o) Still looking for a better solution?
p) Any thoughts or ideas that you'd like to share!

Thanks,
Paula

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN

Comments

• Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    Since I started the thread I'll go first. I have to first confess that we have not yet slept in our T@B.

We own a 2015 S model and plan to sleep with our heads at the rear (but hoping not to get too many bumps on our noggins by rising up too suddenly). It seems easier to get out of bed from that position. As there are two of us we will be making up the entire bed. It takes some time and effort to make up the bed so in nice weather we think we will leave the bed made up most of the time and eat and relax outdoors.

Our T@B is not outfitted with slats so we will strictly be using our table for the bed. We have a 20 x 40 tailgating table from Wal-Mart that we plan to use outdoors.

It is a bit bulky, but my initial plan is to layer our bedding as follows:
    - (bottom layer) queen size flat sheet
    - 2 inch Big One memory foam topper from Kohl's - king
    - old queen size lightweight comforter (mattress pad)
    - queen size flat sheet (bottom sheet)
    - queen size flat sheet (top sheet)
    - (top layer) queen size micro plush blanket

I am trying to roll up all of the layers except the blanket to be stored behind the seat. However, it's proving to be a bit awkward to handle. One possibility is to store the "bedding bundle" in our tow vehicle.

One thing I tried did not work out. I originally thought that a queen size fitted sheet would work perfectly. It didn't. There was nothing to attach the fitted corners to so I switched to queen size flat sheets laid side-to-side. Time will tell whether or not we will wake up tangled in sheets. LOL.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Paula & Larry...our 2015 S M@xx is only a few weeks, and two trips, old so we're not much behind you (BTW, I'm 6'1"" and my wife is 5'4"): Please identify which T@B model you own – or plan to own. b) Which direction do you sleep? we've tried both...and prefer sleeping with our heads "aft"...allows me (mr. tall) more lattitude over the edge. c) Do you make up the entire bed as configured above? we have a pre-sheeting 1-1/2in foam pad, then a queen flat on top, and a queen duvet/comfortor on that Or alternatively do you make up only a portion of the bed? we use the table a lot...and make up the bed each night d) How often do you switch between the bed and dinette? see above e) Do you use the table for sleeping? yes, the newer table is much sturdier and negates the need for slats f) Do you also use the table outdoors? no...we have a foldable table (from our outdoor/rafting supply store) we use g) Do you have slats and rails? no h) What type of bedding do you use? open cell foam (rolls easier)...but it's too woosy...we need more. next trip we're going to add our 1--1/2in thick, but firm, camping air mattresses underneath. i) What size bedding do you use? The foam is double (came from the back of the Tacoma camping); we have a 50# dog who sleeps on the "edges" Sheets and down comforter are queen j) How many layers do you use? we often sleep in high country (8-10,000ft.), so it's cool at night...layers vary. k) Where do you store your bedding when not in use? behind the tilt-up back/aft seating...there's a LOT of storage space back there! l) Have you discovered any special tricks that work well? we really like the feel of the thin foam on top of the air mattresses...both roll up nicely m) Have you tried something that just didn’t work out? thin, open cell, foam isn't worth much...either get thicker foam (the Kohls stuff gets good reviews), or memory foam...but that stuff is a pain to roll and takes a while to regain its "memory" n) Are you satisfied with the quality of your sleep in the T@B? yes...it's a real treat to not be in sleeping bags! o) Still looking for a better solution? we're close to a super solution...thin foam and good quality, thin, air mattresses p) Any thoughts or ideas that you'd like to share! I's a very personal issue...take some trial trips, or even sleep in the driveway, to see what works for you!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2014
    I have the L floorplan (sleep wheel to wheel) and bought a short queen set of RV sheets. With RV sheets, the top sheet Velcro's to the fitted bottom sheet, and once  I get it on the top sheet never untucks!  I have a 2 inch memory foam pad that split in half.  I still use it when I make the bed full size, but when I want to make the bed smaller, I just pile the two pieces on top of each other and I have a nice 4 inch foam mattress. I still use the short queen sheets and just tuck in the extra.  Mine did not come with slats, but had them cut out of 1" x 12"  spruce.  Much lighter than pine!  Once I set my bed up at the campground...it stays made up, so making slats are nice to have so I can use the table outside.  Other times I leave the table at home, use the slats for the bed and a wooden TV tray for a table inside and outside. 
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    We have a 2012 Q.  When we are both together sleeping in the T@Bpole, we sleep horizontally with our heads on the window side, her closer to the door.

We do use a memory foam topper over the cushions.  We have the collapsible table, but I still installed rails because the table wobbles otherwise.

When it is just me camping I leave the table in place and just sleep along the back of the bed where the couch is.  We almost never bring the couch upright, just leave it down. and roll the mattress, bedding and all, on top of it dduring the day.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    a) Please identify which T@B model you own – or plan to own.
     2007 Dutchmen Q
    b) Which direction do you sleep?
     Heads under the back cabinets when hubby is along.  Wheel to wheel on back cushions when I'm solo
    c) Do you make up the entire bed as configured above?
     Yes, when there's 2 of us.  No, when only me.   When It's myself and one of my grown children, we sleep in what we call "twin bed" configuration, i.e. heads under the back cabinets, body on twin memory foam that lays wheel to wheel, and legs on each of the dinette benches.  The whole bed isn't made down.  That gives standing space for changing clothes, etc.
    Or alternatively do you make up only a portion of the bed?
     Yes
    d) How often do you switch between the bed and dinette?
     Daily
    e) Do you use the table for sleeping?
     No
    f) Do you also use the table outdoors?
     If using the add-a-room.  If not, table stays home.
    g) Do you have slats and rails?
     Yes
    h) What type of bedding do you use?
     Queen Travasak.  It's one piece.  Roll it out and your bed is made.  When I'm solo, I use a fitted twin sheet on a memory foam topper and a twin blanket
    i) What size bedding do you use?
     See above
    j) How many layers do you use?
     See above
    k) Where do you store your bedding when not in use?
     We always keep the sofa back in the down position.  The 2 twin memory foam toppers slide part way up the wall similar to a futon mattress.  The bedding is folded lengthwise and rest on the memory foam
    l) Have you discovered any special tricks that work well?
      I prefer 2 twin memory foam toppers as opposed to a queen because they're much easier to move.  When I'm solo I can leave one at home.
    m) Have you tried something that just didn’t work out?
      I wouldn't mess with sheets for the full bed.  I love the Travasak.
    n) Are you satisfied with the quality of your sleep in the T@B? 
      Yes
    o) Still looking for a better solution?
      No
    p) Any thoughts or ideas that you'd like to share!
    I think I did :D
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
    Travasak? Sounds easy...
    Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This is a great thread, thanks for starting it. I plan on picking up my new 2015 T@b S next weekend (Hooray!). I will be mostly solo, so I am hoping that sleeping wheel to wheel works and that I can leave the bed made and utilize the benches and table as needed. I am hoping to not need slats, but open to using them if needed. For comfort, I am planning on starting with a Thermarest. I also have a newer Nemo sleeping bag I will start with. I bought the Nemo bag last summer and I totally love it!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Maybe we should get LG to print up some QR code decals that take people to the website or to a YouTube video tour.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn, Dutchmen T@Bs came with the website above the license plate.   It's this current site.

Benderenns, a Travasak is sort of a sleeping bag.  Our is a queen.  It has removable sheets for washing.  One side is "winter" and the other is "summer".  They're also called "sleep systems".  I love it.  Kind of pricey, but well worth it.  This will be the fifth season for ours.
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/travasak-full-queen-62-x-80-magic-blue/75169
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Oops... though I had posted my last comment in the Talkers and Gawkers thread.

• Options
    benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
    TABaker - Thanks for the website link ! Placed my order...
    Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2014
    We have tried a combination of sheets & sleeping bags but have been looking for a simpler solution. So we ordered and just received our RV Superbag and will use it for the first time next week. Similar to the Travasak which until very recently was no longer being made. The advantage is the same as TaBaker described above. In our Q, we have and will continue to roll the bedding into the couch area in the back so we can set up the table for use during the day. We do have slats as it stabilizes the table and we have the option of using the table outside if we desire. We are also considering an easily rolled foam pad, mostly to protect the cushion upholstery.

Also, the T@B Q bed is actually closer to 72 x 76 which makes it a King size bed (although kings are usually 80 long). We bought a King size RV Superbag and it fits perfect, the 72 width is wall-to-wall and the 80 length hangs over just a couple inches. This also gives us better coverage for those times that the little dogs con us into letting them sleep on the bed.
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    rverginiarverginia Member Posts: 21
    2015 Q-Maxx.  We got a California King 2" topper at costco.com and cut 10" off the bottom. Then wee took 2 - 750 thread count King flat sheets and made a 'pillow' case for the foam. This became our bottom sheet (reversible). We have a 3rd sheet that we use as a top sheet and finally a down comforter on top. It all rolls up and stores nicely behind the couch. Didn't have any rocking issues with the table so no slats needed.
    Bob and Pam, Martha Lake, Washington 2015 T@B Q M@xx PorT@Bella, Mercedes GLK-350, Shitake the Kayak, and our bikes - Chan and trelle.
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2014

Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    BellesMomBellesMom Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,
    I own a 2009 T&B with the U configuration. I sleep with my head aft. I make up the entire bed every night as I like to use the dinette during the day. I don't use the table outside - I do have a great folding camp table that I carry in my tow vehicle. I find the cushions too hard for my liking and so I use a queen size feather bed that is covered with a twin size duvet cover. The feather bed is about 2 1/2 inches thick and the duvet cover comes off for easy washing. I then use a queen size duvet with cover on top. Very cozy! The pillows and duvet are stored under the sofa seat and I leave the feather bed kind of rolled up on the sofa when I'm using the dinette. It also doubles as a very comfortable backrest when we watch dvd's on the laptop and stretch out on the dinette seats over the wheels. I keep extra blankets in the skinny storage space at the very aft. They're nice to have for wrapping up in front of the campfire.
    Kathy (Victoria, BC, Canada).
    Give me books, fruit, French wine, 
    and fine weather and a little music out of doors 
    played by someone I do not know. John Keats.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

NO MORE MEMORY FOAM:  NEW MATTRESS CAME TODAY.

When I first got my T@B, I read several posts recommending memory foam toppers for the bedding.  I had never used memory foam before, but I bought a four-incher and used it for several trips.  Tell you the truth, I did not like it.  I know it's personal preference, but to me it was very uncomfortable. 

Since I sleep wheel-to-wheel and leave my bed made up, I decided to try a regular mattress.  Not being able to find one that fit the space the way I wanted, I finally found a place on the Internet that custom makes them to just about any size and configuration imaginable.  They even will put a layer of memory foam inside the mattress if that is what you want.

Anyway, I ordered one to fit my needs and it came today.  I placed it in the T@B and tried it out.  Feels just like my bed at home.  Can't wait to give it a try on my next trip.  I now have an ample supply of foam padding material to keep things from bouncing together while traveling. (Your smiley face of choice)

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG, so you don't use the storage area underneath?

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Well, yes I do, but I don't have it packed full, and I store things in there that I don't use very often.  It's been so long since I've had the cushions up I'm not sure what all is in there.  I think a small vacuum, a couple of citronella candles, some MRE's that I hardly ever use, etc.  My spare tire used to be in there, but I mounted it on the tongue.

My tow is a truck with a cap, so I store a lot in there, and it is usually full. 

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    LojocamperLojocamper Member Posts: 30
    We are anxiously awaiting arrival of our 2018 320 CS-S. I would like to resurrect this excellent thread to find out what CS-S owners are doing for bedding. We are looking at a foam topper (mostly to eliminate the cushion creases and protect the cushions) and some type of bed sack (custom made by me if possible!). Has anyone made a bed sack?  Would like to hear how other CS-S owners respond to the questions in the original post. Thanks!
    BreakingAw@y
    Silver/black 2018 T@B 320 CS-S, Outback axle, AT tires
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

My Visited North America Map
    Adventures: 7
    States: 21
    Provinces: 5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    I made a duvet with sheets and sandwiched a heavy mattress pad.  It is more than enough to smooth out the cushion edges.  Just tuck in the top and bottom edges to keep it in place.  We use an alterd duvet for our top blanket.  If we need to breakdown the bed for the day both pieces fold compactly and store against the back wall.  Easy to launder.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Lojocamper congratulations and welcome to the Tab family! I’ve got a 2017 320S.  It’s mostly just me camping with friends, but when DH comes along we sleep two twins. Otherwise I sleep wheel to wheel. We use sleeping bags because they’re simple and no laundry afterwards. We also use self inflating Thermarest pads that I picked up at target. We bought the thin ones, there are thicker ones out there, but we found the thin ones work really well and we are happy with the comfort level And they are easy to pack and store. The first picture I’m attaching is not our trailer, but it would work with your model. This couple made extensions to widen their beds, and it also provided shoe storage. Have fun with your trailer!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    My set up 

Thermarest pads

• Options
    PinspotPinspot Member Posts: 14
    2018 CS-S. I just got my T@b this Feb so I have yet to take it out on the road. I have set up camp in the backyard though. I sleep wheel to wheel. My bedding starts with a custom made 2" topper then a custom made fitted sheet. Then I cover up with a alternative down comforter. The topper and fitted sheet fit perfectly. I have the slats so I don't need the table to fill in the gap. I did have a Lagun mount installed outside so I will definitely use the table outside. I will probably leave the bed set up full time as there is no storage in back since its a clam shell. I find the bed to be very comfortable so I don't have any plans on changing it. 
  • Options
    My set up 

Thermarest pads

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    After several years of shifting from dining setup to bed and back daily, I finally started sleeping wheel to wheel with simply the sofa folded back. That gives a bed about 40"x70". Small but perfectly functional. No reset other than folding the sofa back. Now, I would like to find a mattress that exact size and forego the sofa altogether. Any suggestion where to find an affordable custom 40x70 mattress?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Great information.  Thank you.  We travelled in out T@B for the first time last year and, based on what I read on this forum, we bought a 2 inch mattress topper and I made a bag of 2 sheets to encase the memory foam.  Then I used velcro to attach a top sheet.  it all worked out really well in our 2007 DM, very comfortable, but it will not slip  behind the folding back seat as I had hoped it would.  We just roll it up and slide it under the back cupboards.  That works Ok but it seems such a waste to not be able to access the back cushions.  Any good ideas about making the folding back seat come further forward?  Can the hinges be changed?
  • Options
    c2seasidec2seaside Member Posts: 4
    Great information.  Thank you.  We travelled in out T@B for the first time last year and, based on what I read on this forum, we bought a 2 inch mattress topper and I made a bag of 2 sheets to encase the memory foam.  Then I used velcro to attach a top sheet.  it all worked out really well in our 2007 DM, very comfortable, but it will not slip  behind the folding back seat as I had hoped it would.  We just roll it up and slide it under the back cupboards.  That works Ok but it seems such a waste to not be able to access the back cushions.  Any good ideas about making the folding back seat come further forward?  Can the hinges be changed?
    Hi Lesley,
    I have a similar setup with 2” memory foam topper enclosed in a duvet cover sewn down to fit. I am able to roll the mattress topper/duvet and cinch it down with 2 camping straps and as long as I remove the side cushion bolsters, I can get the roll to slide down behind the seat back. Won’t lay flat but works fine with the seat back in up position. I don’t roll my other bedding in the roll. I fold it into a quilted bag and it serves as a ‘throw pillow’ during the day.

I have a 2015 S Maxx Sofitel, so maybe the difference is in the range of motion of the seat back between models.

Christina
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 906
    We have a CS-S and sleep wheel to wheel, and make up the whole bed.  We use the table to make the bed and use queen sized sheets, two really thick blankets, and are plenty warm usually without the Alde up to about 35 degrees.  The bed stays made with very few exceptions... Extreme weather or mosquitoes, and when we were waiting for the TV to be repaired and wanted to play board games.

2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We often (usually?) keep the bed made up throughout (slats), and if we can't sit outside, we'll put the table on top of the bed, sitting japanese style.

Our topper is latex, and heavy, so we cut it into two pads for easier handling. 

Also, we got a zip-up sheet to envelope each pad as its 'bottom sheet', then we make up the top covers like a normal bed, with a top sheet, two light blankets, and a down comforter.

To stow the bed, we fold each of them lengthwise, then bungee, and 'stack' them as a backrest across the back.

(@Estancio, we bought our topper through Amazon, king size and cut it down)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya