Options

New t@b purchase

hey fellow t@bers
we are most likely going to buy a new 2016 t@b s max. Our local dealer has come down 3,000 on list price and we are waiting to see if sales manager will lower the price further.  If he doesn't I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything to have thrown into the deal such as possibly second battery??   Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I had my dealer throw in all accessories - leveling blocks thru Rhino dump hose.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Our last 7 cars have been Toyotas, and their website clearly specifies list prices for everything. That makes the purchase process so much easier for those of us who like to do some research before approaching a dealer and I wish LG would do it.

Since I think this information should be freely available, I will tell you that our 2016 T@B S Max ordered in mid October was $18300, plus $1500 in optional equipment (front window, outside shower, aluminum front platform and propane cover, T@B storage cover, and Maxxfan Deluxe upgrade.) Before taxes. 

I get the sense that prices change continually as LG adds new features such as the new tank monitor and the Lagun table. I suppose it would be hard to keep published prices up to date with that kind of process.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Photomom - None of that (website, window sticker, dealer invoice) reflect what the dealer is actually paying or how much wiggle room they have to deal though. All kinds of trickery, discounts and kickbacks in the car biz.
    But, we're drifting off-topic again as usual :-)
    Back on topic - Included in my negotiating were big ticket items like solar and generator so the deal had a bunch of stuff to play with. Things that the dealer could buy wholesale where I'd had to pay retail. There margins on some of the extras were probably 50% so they had a bunch of wiggle room.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2015
    Photomom said:
    I get the sense that prices change continually as LG adds new features such as the new tank monitor and the Lagun table. I suppose it would be hard to keep published prices up to date with that kind of process.
    As with most manufactured products and goods here in the US pricing is always subject to change and as you noted above probably does change with added technologies/enhancements to the trailer units.  Geographic location in the US also has a significant impact on trailer pricing as transportation/delivery costs vary across the map (obviously costs more to ship items to the west coast) and a dealer can ask whatever they believe are reasonable and incurred costs on purchased trailer units.  It's always best to take some time and shop around.  

As for "throw in items/add-on accessories"  there is no hard and fast rule here so you need to discuss this with your dealer and see if they have any "wiggle room" as every operation is different, some are larger than others and some offer different/varying service levels/goods therein.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I paid $18,367 ( before taxes) for my 2016 Max S in late August, it has a front window, bath portal window, and outdoor shower. It came with the battery, full tank of propane, sewer hose, and a water pressure regulator. I may have been able to push for a little more, but when I first went to Haydocy in Columbus, Ohio they had 5 -T@bs on the lot on Friday in July, my wife and I told Bruce we would think about it and get back to him. I called back the next day in the afternoon to tell him which one we wanted, they were all sold! He told me I could order one , but it would be 4-5 months before it would come in. Bruce said they had one coming in about 4 weeks that was not sold yet, but it is was not the color we really wanted. My wife and I discussed ordering one, but didn't want to wait that long. I searched the internet to find one, no luck. I called Bruce back a few weeks later to ask him about the one they had coming in, he just got it in that morning and was taking pictures of it when I called him for someone else that was interested in it. I told him I wanted to see it, we put a deposit on it over the phone to hold it until we got there. We loved it, bought it, and are very happy with it. Some dealers are not discounting T@Bs at all and are selling them for full list price, because of the demand for them. I just took a plant tour last week( very cool to see how they are made), they told me they can build about 30 T@bs per week and are booked out until December 2016.  There is a point to this long winded story, a deal is only as good as you think it is, we felt ours was, and don't wait too long or they may sell it and who knows how long you may need to wait to get one.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Our dealer is relatively small and was not open to negotiation on very much. He said that he does sell a "big box of everything you need for camping" for $150 but doesn't "throw in" anything." Shopping around wasn't really an option since he is the only dealer within several hours' drive. I would imagine that larger dealers might have a smaller margin (or they might mark up the trailers up front so they have room to "negotiate", who knows?) The important thing is to buy something that you think is worth the price and be happy with it.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    My dealer offered a similar "big box" (can't remember the price) - All basically junk. Cheap dump hose etc. But they had an rv parts/accessories dealers catalog and could order anything at wholesale. Whether any particular dealer will pass on the diff. between wholesale/retail is another matter.
  • Options
    WVWandererWVWanderer Member Posts: 12
    Mmmm.....this thread leads me to believe that I need to add a few more things to my Outback order.  We're ordering from Hadocy and anticipate the trailer arriving in June.  We could have had it in January but I'm still deciding on a TV.  Gonna have to send an email to add on the tent and Zamp.
    Jeep Wrangler Unlimited & soon to be Outback
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I saw some new 2016's at my dealer on Friday that just arrived from the factory.  They have a new single-handled faucet with movable spout that goes up and down (unlike the bar faucet I have).  Same grey sink.  New Alde electronic thermostat and battery/tank monitor. Same old folding table.  The battery/tank monitor cannot be retrofitted.  My dealer said they never know what improvements the factory is making until the unit actually shows up.  They are selling "briskly." I saw at least five T@Bs being prepped for customers.  I can see why the prices on the T@Bs change with each improvement.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Wvwanderer - careful with the tent on an outback. One of the reviews on the TearDrop Shop complained that the tent doesn't work well with the increased ground clearance of the Outback.
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2015
    OutbackAZ said:
    Wvwanderer - careful with the tent on an outback. One of the reviews on the TearDrop Shop complained that the tent doesn't work well with the increased ground clearance of the Outback.
    That is most certainly correct.  I just went through this with my dealer.  I told them before ordering that the regular tent would not fit the Outback Model because it was taller.  They contacted Little Guy and was told that it would fit.  Just to be certain, I also emailed Little Guy.  I too was assured that the non-clamshell model tent would fit.  Well guess what....  It did not fit when it came in.  Because of the added height of the Outback Model, the floor of the tent is pulled several inches up the side of the trailer and the stake loops next to the trailer will not reach the ground.  The tent for the Outback Model has to be ordered directly from PahaQue at present.  Little Guy has not yet started offering them in the Teardrop Shop.  Also, there is a 4 to 6 week lead time as they are a custom order.
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    Keltdubh - When I spoke with PahaQue a few weeks ago about ordering an awning, I asked about a new tent for the Outback.  They said that they were not producing a tent specifically for the Outback, so buyer beware.  They also mentioned that the awning does not reach the ground at the trailer side, but most buyers did not find that a problem.  I haven't been able to put up my awning because of unfavorable conditions these last two weekends, so can't say if I agree with them.
  • Options
    Hmmm!!!!  Very interesting...  They do list one for Outback in the drop down menu on their website.  PahaQue  Gonna be a little annoyed if I end up with the same thing after weeks of waiting.  Thanks for the heads up though.  It actually wouldn't require the production of a new tent, The skirt that attaches to the trailer needs to be a little longer though.  
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    When I called PaHaQue about it today, the gentleman I spoke with said they only make one size for all the T@Bs. I saw the same thing on their website, too, Ed!
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Interesting, as i remember them canvassing for a San Diego Outback owner willing to take his/her T@B to their shop in Poway, CA (just North of SD) for the purpose of taking measurements for the side awning. Somebody obliged, can't remember who (will search) and measurememts were taken. Pretty sure they came up with an Outback-specific version.  That, or I hallucinated the whole thread.  Might have been on their Facebook page too instead of here. Anybody else remember that? Jenn?
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I remember the call for one to drop by for measurements here. I don't have Facebook, so it had to be here.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We have an Outback and also the PahaQue Screen room. Sent the tent back because it was missing two hold-down straps and also complained about the poor fit because of the increased height of the Outback.
    they're suppose to return ship it this week. We'll let everyone know if they did anything about the poor fit.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    PXLated said:
    My dealer offered a similar "big box" (can't remember the price) - All basically junk. Cheap dump hose etc. But they had an rv parts/accessories dealers catalog and could order anything at wholesale. Whether any particular dealer will pass on the diff. between wholesale/retail is another matter.
    Yeah, knowing no better we got the box of stuff.  It wasn't too bad a price, but over the last couple of years I have found that I either have replaced nearly everything in the box with something that works better, or simply don't use some of the things that came in there.  Not a wise investment.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    Our closest dealer was in another state so we didn't have many options for comparison shopping. We lucked out with a one-man operation with great customer service. We ordered exactly what we wanted (2016 S-Max Sofitel) and he cut 10% off list, including accessories. With the demand for T@B's, that seemed fair. Most impressive of all, once our T@B was built (5-months), the dealer drove 1,400 miles roundtrip to get it in time for us to travel to a family reunion. 
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    Hans111 said:
    Our closest dealer was in another state so we didn't have many options for comparison shopping. We lucked out with a one-man operation with great customer service. We ordered exactly what we wanted (2016 S-Max Sofitel) and he cut 10% off list, including accessories. With the demand for T@B's, that seemed fair. Most impressive of all, once our T@B was built (5-months), the dealer drove 1,400 miles roundtrip to get it in time for us to travel to a family reunion. 
    Wow!!!  Now that is customer service. 
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA