Options

Extended warranty

we have just purchased a new tab. Yay! We are wondering about the need for extended warranty. Can people tell us what to expect for annual costs and breakage and things that might be covered in the extended warranty.  Can people also advise on your experience with extended warranty companies? Which ones are good? I need to avoid?

Comments

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Congrats on your new T@B. I did not know there was an extended warranty available for the trailer itself. Is the warranty offered by the dealer through a third party or is it direct from LG?
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited December 2015
    There's been a couple threads on extended warrananties you might search for.
    I don't recall anyone getting (or recommending) one. LG is really good about warrantee work during that first year. For me personally, over the course of that year I had four small issues and Ed (the factory warranty guy) was johnny on the spot with new parts or fixes with no questions asked. Couldn't be happier. I think I heard Consumer Reports came out recently with a "don't buy extended warranties" recommendation.
    My one year warranty is now up but I can't think of anything that could/might now go wrong after that year shake-down.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Extended warranties are almost never worth it, for cars or RVs.  If they offer, kindly decline.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    Well, I got the extended warranty anyway.  It's for 7 years from a third party provider, seems to be comprehensive, $50 deductible.  Time will tell if it's worth it or not, but I'm not a fixer myself-er.  I've gotten extended coverage for a vehicle before and ac went out just before expiry.  Extended coverage on tires and got nail thru a sidewall.  It's paid off for me sometimes...  If I upgrade to a newer T@b before 7 years, it could be a selling benefit as it's transferrable to the next owner.

"Bella" 2016 maxs blue, tv 07 Ford Expedition with tow pkg, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It kind of depends on what they cost and what they cover. We had one on our 38 ft Winnebago  it cost about $50 a month for the 2 years we owned it about $1200. It had some very expensive systems i.e. Engine, transmission, hydraulics, extensive electronics, AC, and much more. We never needed it but it could have easily have payed for itself many times over. That being said our T@B is pretty basic with few and simple systems. If I could get a warranty for $5 or $10 a month with a low deductible maybe if I were not very handy with tools and the like.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    It depends on the systems. We were offered an extended warranty that was going to cost about $2K. Well the only things it really covered were the CoolCat and the fridge. I can replace both of those for about $2K, and after 8 years, both are still going strong. That same $2K is earning interest in the bank, so I'm ahead of the game.

Yes, the big RVs and motorhomes with generators, slideout motors, engines, huge fridges, etc., etc, yeah maybe, but not our little T@Bs.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
    I just talked with my T@b dealer. Extended warantee must be purchased before 1 year is up. 84 months minus the time you’ve already owned it.  So another 6 yrs for us since we purchased in Aug 2017. $1434 cost. Includes elect, mechanical, appliances, water system. $100 deductible per appointment (may include several repairs).  We’re thinking this over. Warantee can be pro-rated back to you if you cancel.  Deductible seems high.  I’m not much of a mechanic or electrician so I may go with it for peace of mind. I don’t know the warantee company’s name yet.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I got a 7 year extended also. I paid it in one shot but it's part of the loan. In view of the many changes and additions I made, the warranty probably won't cover much, as they usually say modified systems are not covered. so I'm going to cancel it if it's prorated for years not used. I bought a 3 year on my used truck and 100 miles before it was up the air injection system failed which was over $2,000 and was covered. However, Toyota had an extended warranty on these parts and fixed it for free. So in my case it was a waste of money.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I rarely get an extended warranty,  only on the kids phones as they always crack the screens.     Makes more sense to me to bank the money I would have spent on the warranty instead.      
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods