Options

Do you use a microwave and where do you keep it?

JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
We are about to take delivery of our 2015 S M@xx. Our first outing will be to a park without hookups, but after that I'm thinking we may want a microwave. I just don't know if there's room to stow one in the S model. Any ideas? Thanks for your thoughts.
Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I know a lot of people get small microwaves from Walmart. We don't have one cuz half the time we don't do hookups. I'd also be curious how your Tacoma pulls, we have the same T@B and a 2012 Taco (TRD with towing pkg) and she struggles up some of our Colorado hills. Mileage went from 22 to 15/16mpg. We do love the design, comfort, convenience, and construction of the T@B though!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    We have one, it was one my wife used at work. When we travel, it goes on the floor of our S model in front of the lowered table. We use a towel to cushion it. Once we are at our destination, it goes on the counter over the stove.

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Some have the "cube" tiny microwave.  I don't carry one, but I do have a toaster oven.  It rides on the counter over the stove.  When at camp I usually bring it out on the table, like it is in the photo.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I carried both a toaster oven and a microwave on my trip out west.  Used neither the whole time I was gone,  May reconsider hauling them around.  We'll see after another trip or two.  I transport them under the counter.  The microwave in the corner to the right of the stove, and the toaster oven under the sink, both cushioned well.  BTW, the left over memory foam from the bedding that I trimmed down makes excellent cushioning material.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. Much appreciated. I'm thinking we may not even need one. I can't wait to find out. I'm just obsessing about everything and we don't even have the dang thing yet. Lol. Should only be a few days now - it's on the truck, coming from Ohio to Oregon. Yippee!
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi Justjudy,
    I feel EXACTLY the same way. My T@Baby hasn't even hit the assembly line yet!! It is so hard to wait and you want to just buy everything you can for it ahead of time. Have you seen the vintage awning look yet?  T@Baker has a couple of different sets to fit the occasion. They sit on top of the windows when they are open and look amazing. She even has the little flower box thing going on. One of the lovely ladies gave me the info on where to buy if you aren't handy yourself. 
    Check out martisawnings.com  
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    My little flower boxes can been seen in the photo above.  I didn't have the side window awning on, and you can barely see the front one. lol  They're fun to make, and I don't really sew. lol  I have this floral set, Green Bay Packers, Christmas, and a goofy set with ball fringe.  I sold my "vintage" type awning when I bought the Visor.  I didn't want to deal with poles.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I am a "theme" kind of person as well. I can't wait to bring my T@Baby's personality to life like you have. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Here's the pro and con. The pro is convenient quick cooking in the rain, if plugged in at a campsite. It also cooks quick, minimizing internal moisture. It also allows for reheating of leftovers if desired on an extended stay. Con: requires shore power, and adds weight/takes space.

Critical? No. However, there's a reason most RVs include them these days... ...and it sure is handy.

I am amazed all the time how much efficient luxury the T@b offers.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Oh, yes! I love the awnings. I am definitely thinking of getting or making some. Thanks for the link. Crystal, your Daisy is very fetching.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I see a lot of people using the toaster ovens.....  What do you folks use them for other than toast?   Do you have simple recipes for preparing food or favorite dishes you make when you arrive at the campground?   Convince me somehow that this would be something I should take along on my adventures.   Thanks!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments on Daisy.  I will be sure and tell her :)

I really don't use my toaster oven a lot.  It's nice when you pull in late and want something quick.  Things we make are cookies, cinnamon rolls, toast, personal pizza, grilled cheese, pizza pockets, apple turnovers....that kind of thing.  

• Options
    Hi,
    I was wondering, when plugged into shore power, the toaster oven or the microwave. I am a texture person and can see myself doing more "toasted" things like grilled cheese or a hot toasty sandwich verses a microwave. Any thoughts out there?
    Soon to be a T@Baby mom
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I have a microwave built in to my T@DA and use it more for storage than anything else since we don't often have electrical hookups. When we do have shore power, it is definitely a nice luxury to pop something into the microwave and eat it three minutes later. That said, if it wasn't built in, I wouldn't bother using up storage space for one. I bring a small toaster, but don't bother with a toaster oven either.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We have been using our toaster oven during this extended trip, when we have electric. Toast, bagels, pizza, heated cooked pasta, cheese toast.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    I purchased a Cube micro wave and its working out very well. Its 1/2 the size of a small micro wave.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    TabuTabu Member Posts: 10
    I am like you JustJudy. I have been shopping and won't have the T@B for about 2 1/2 months.  So much fun to look.  I did see a coffee maker, Toaster oven and griddle combo targeted to college kids someplace. It was pretty compact.  I am just going to buy the essentials at first and see what is needed.  How sturdy are the inside walls and what do you use to anchor items you place on your walls.
    Tabu - Rita & Phil and Doli who is a 2015 silver frost/blue S Max being towed by a 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6l
  • Options
    The walls seem to be very sturdy, but I haven't attached anything to them. I don't think I will. I am of the less-is-more school. I am thinking I can get by without a microwave. I did buy a small toaster oven and I have it stowed under one of the seats in the box. Our maiden voyage was off the grid so there was no opportunity to try it out. The absolute BEST thing I took was a stovetop espresso maker. Our coffee was better than Starbucks. That is the key to a successful camping trip in my book.
  • Options
    BabarBabar Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2012 L-floorplan with the Flip-Down TV-DVD Radio and finding a microwave that would fit do the placement of the TV-DVD was a challange. We tried several and even tried several locations, we finally settled on a Wave-Box microwave used by over the road Truckers--it looks like a lunch box weighs 12 lbs and it isn't big but it works for warming up stuff, popping small bags of snack size popcorn and ready to heat meals.  It fits on the counter underneath the TV-DVD player and we have it strapped down (rides well)  We had a new Black & Decker spacemaker Toaster Oven in a hope chest for 12 years waiting on a camper and mounted it under the cabinet with the mounting bracket on the doorside.  So with the cooktop, Wave-Box, and Toaster Oven we can handle whatever we want to cook.  The Wave-Box can be 110 volt or 12 volt.  We haven't wired the 12 volt connectors yet.  It has to be wired direct to battery (no a lighter plug in) because of the amount of amps it draws but it does work.  Hope that gives you some other ideas.  The T@B is a wonderful camper for us, it has everything we need and nothing we don't.  It tows wonderful-you don't even know its there, except for the drop in fuel economy.
    tiny T@Bernacle (dwelling/hut/residence)
    Rog & Barb Brown   Assaria, KS
    2012 T@B L    Ford Freestyle  AWD
  • Options
    Hi,
    Could you post a pic of how you mounted the toaster oven?

The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hope these pictures help, i'm new to posting so sorry if these were done wrong.  I found the mounting bracket for the Black & Decker spacemaker toaster oven on ebay still new in box.  They don't make the spacemaker model any more but there were still some brackets for sale on ebay and maybe even some of the ovens. We already had ours.
  • Options

here is another picture of the mounting bracket hopefully you can tell more.

• Options
    Thanks, that helps so much. You really have kept the counter space that way. I am hoping to something like that in my CS-S. The counter space is very limited and I think a toaster oven mounted that way would be a great space saver. Plus it would help keep it secure. 
    My little boy comes off the assembly line around 8/8. Can't wait!
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options

Thanks.

after raising the tire pressure we found that the door was popping open on the toaster oven, solved that with a bungee cord, they work wonder.  Our long cabinet door by the refrigerator was doing the same thing a bungee cord over the handles on the adjacent cabinets under the sink fixed that too. It seemed that the cabinet catch on the longer door wasn't quite as strong as the others but instead of complaining just solved it with the bungee cord.  When we bought our L model 4/5/2013 they had several models on the lot to pick from and we were happy to be able to look at all the different floor plans in one place.  I drove 650 miles to look and planned to go home with something.  We found exactly what we wanted and just love it to death.  Better than a motel any day, at least you know who has been sleeping in the beds.

• Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    I bought a small microwave to use because the day before I plan on leaving, I tend to make enough breakfast for two days and on the day I break camp, I can just microwave my breakfast for a quicker start. I've used it for popcorn and microwave soup, too. I like this one because it fits right in the corner (the picture is a stock picture, not mine) and it was less expensive than other models I checked out.
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options

Moniraq:

we tried the corner microwave (ordered it from Lowes) it wouldn't fit under the flip down tv-dvd, and if I hadn't already mounted the toaster oven on the door side it would have been perfect there.  It was a great idea, just didn't work for our layout.  We would have loved the larger size microwave. great pics.

• Options
    RetAFRetAF Member Posts: 13
    I am planning on storing a small microwave within one of the storage areas (under the sink or thereabouts).  What size would fit?  I've found several 700 watt microwaves at Walmart but unsure of what to buy until I know the exact measurements.  We're tying to make do with whatever we have int he house rather than buying a bunch of "stuff."  We've a 1000 watt Panasonic but it's too large for the storage areas I'm sure.  Maybe we should take it and store it elsewhere while on the road???
  • Options
    Microwave used this weekend.. if only to heat up some green beans, and explode some brown rice. It makes a great breadbox, too. LOL

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    While at Tearstock, I had an outlet added in the cabinet under the stove (I have an L floorplan). I have a small microwave that sits there. For traveling, I slide it back into the cabinet so I can put the Keurig and other countertop items in there.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L