Options

Hitch height for the CS

Sorry to start yet another thread on trailer hitch height, but here's why.  All of the recommendations here state a 16" height for top of ball, for level towing.  We are preparing our new Q7 for towing, and it has a 2.25" drop, which puts the ball at 18" above the ground.  With the T@B connected, it is WAAAY too high (as expected), and it bounces around on the hitch when towing.

I found a flat portion of parking lot and did some measuring.  With the T@B disconnected and fully leveled (with level gauge on floor inside), this puts the bottom of the coupler on the T@B at around 12 inches (???).  This means about a 13.5" or so on the top of the ball, not 16".  Does this sound right?  When we towed with our Jetta, this is about the level it tows at, and it towed awesome with zero bounce, zero sway.

So I plan to get a drop hitch with 6" drop instead, but this puts my ball height at 14", and leaves a little room for compression of any extra weight we put in the back of the TV.

Does this sound normal?  Anyone else with similar experiences?

(Please note that our t@B came with 15" tires for an unknown reason (not Outback) and it has a 3500 LBS AL-KO axle too, which is apparently very uncommon?  Could this be related?)
T@@bulous
2014 T@B CS Maxx
TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
Martha Lake, WA

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    That sounds about right. I think a 16 top of ball without the trailer. Mine lowers a good 1.75 when I put the trailer on the ball. That makes 14.25 which is very close to level on my CS-S. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Ok--I'll swap out the drop hitch with a 6" drop instead of 2.25".

I also noticed the TV doesn't drop much when I drop the trailer on the ball, maybe 1 inch at most -- The Q7s seem to have a very tight suspension.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Hey, wizard  I had the same problem had a 2.5" drop on old pop-up...   I measured and went a 4" drop worked out great.. the measuring told me about 5.5"  went with 4"   TV  2008 Honda ridgeline... when hooked up its right on about 16"...    2015 t@b L-max
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E