Options

New to the T@B world

NasusNutNasusNut Member Posts: 4
Hi everyone.  I just retired, bought a new T@bitha, and am heading south tomorrow out of central NY, if the weather allows, to my new winter base in Florida.  Any advise on where to stop for the night on US 81 to Knoxville and US 75 all the way to Florida, or via 81 to 77, 26 and 95.  I plan on boondocking

Comments

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited January 2016
    Walmart, Cracker Barrel or Camping World. Truck stops are OK too.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I would avoid east Knoxville, but I read no more overnight parking in West Knoxville. If you drive past Knoxville, there is a Walmart in Lenoir City and that area is nice, as well and probably quieter, too.

This area is close enough to the national park that there are not a ton of free options.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There's a nifty app called UltimateCG (Ultimate Campgrounds) - I have it on my iPad/iPhone - Shows mainly public place to camp, a lot of boondocking sites - Haven't used in the east so don't know what's out that way but is my main go to app in the west.
    Another called AllStays is good for finding commercial campgrounds and Walmarts.
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Welcome to the forum, I second PXL, get both UltimateCG and Allstays. They will show you truck stops, rest areas, and between the two most all camping options in an area.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Agree with above Ultimate CG is a good app. Happy T@Bing
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Never stayed in a KOA - Every one I've been by has them packed in like sardines.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Never stayed in a KOA - Every one I've been by has them packed in like sardines.
    There is a nice one, but expensive, in Ouray CO.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NasusNutNasusNut Member Posts: 4
    Thank you everyone.  I might stay in a motel on night 1 so as not to miss the new season premier of Downton Abbey.  Not enough battery power to watch TV and power my CPAP. Will boondock night 2.  I will download UltimateCG and Allstays as soon as my phone is in range.  (I live in a dead zone) I greatly appreciate the help and look forward to contributing in the future.  And yes, I am winterized currently.
  • Options
    boo - Not necessarily - I've resorted to a motel just three times since I left. Each time was an Inn/Suites, booked at last minute, around $35/night. Campgrounds close by were same or more.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Doubt you'll find a motel along NasusNut's route for $35 a night if you're expecting clean linen. TN and GA state parks give significant discounts to us seniors and it's worth a look to see if they're close by where you'll be at night; they'll run $25 a night or less if you're over 60, I think. There's one just inside TN line a few miles south of Bristol just a bit off of I-81 where I've stayed; nice campground. High Falls State Park between Atlanta and Macon is also worthy of consideration. Both of those parks have 30-amp service. Water may be off, and some of the bath houses may be closed now.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    USWildflowers -You'd be surprised what you can get at the ast minute with the right app.
  • Options
    boo - Ya, varies by area. I scored in Topeka, Albuquerque, Tucson and Mesa.