Options

Refill or Exchange?

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
When your LP tank runs out, do you take it somewhere and exchange it or do you have it refilled?  If you have it refilled, do you take the tank out and haul it to a refill station or do you pull the trailer and have it refilled while still in place?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I refill when it's available and exchange when not. I have two tanks so swap and get the spare filled but back before I had two, Yep, I'd take the tank out and run it to the fill station. Some weight the tank and can't do that when still in the T@B. Lately there's been a line every morning at the fill station - 20s, 30s, 100 pounders, all unhooked and out.
    I thought like Boo until I came across KS last year and there were nothing but exchanges. So far I've only gotten one bad tank. Walmart generally has better tanks than the others. I usually tell the person which tank I want once they have the cage open and I can see.
    $9-10 for a 20lb refill's been the rate here in SW AZ.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I seem to remember that someone did a study on those exchanged tanks, and found that they weren't being fully refilled, even though the customer was being charged for a full tank. I get mine refilled at Tractor Supply, where I can watch the scale.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    When an exchange is my only option I'm in no position to know or quibble if it's not 100% full.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have only ever refilled mine, and only once in the past three years, we really don't use it much.  Oddly, that one refill was at Adventureland in Iowa last year, and it cost under $10 for the fill.  I was shocked by the price, it was so low.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    From what I understand,  a tank should never be filled more than 80%  for safety reasons. It can shoot liquid propane through the hose instead of the expanded gas. The liquid stuff can "squirt" a fire a distance from wherever it's being used. The refill stations know to keep it filled to the 80% limit. 
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We usually refill also. We have a U-Haul place that has decent prices on propane.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure that they would allow a tank to sit inside the front trailer tub anyway and refill a tank for safety reasons and because their hook-up line in most instances will not reach that far.   I've always disconnected propane tanks and taken them in for refills as needed and will do the same with the T@B.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    You got a point Mike - Their connector is usually a foot long, wouldn't fit down into the cover.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    KyBawpaw said:
    From what I understand,  a tank should never be filled more than 80%  for safety reasons. It can shoot liquid propane through the hose instead of the expanded gas. The liquid stuff can "squirt" a fire a distance from wherever it's being used. The refill stations know to keep it filled to the 80% limit. 
    Propane tanks have a float valve in them, so that when the liquid gets to the proper level the float closes off the fill valve and no more gas can go in.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Hey that's good to know. I read the warning about the 80% rule but it didn't mention the valve already in place. Makes much sense. Thanks.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    With the way fuel prices are going these days, soon it will only cost 6-8 bucks of propane to refill.  Exchange stations will need to lower their prices accordingly or they will lose business for sure!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    It's less than $10 in Quartzite and Parker already.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    With the way fuel prices are going these days, soon it will only cost 6-8 bucks of propane to refill.  Exchange stations will need to lower their prices accordingly or they will lose business for sure!
    The one refill place near me charges $16 no matter how much I get so I try to run it out as much as possible.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014