Options

Floor Squeaking / Creaking?

Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
Does anyone else have a squeaking or a creaking sound in the center of the floor just in front of the two side benches when you step there? We have a 2016 T@B Max S and ours has done it since day one and it drives me crazy. I have seen posts about the floor and it thickness and I figured it was the floor flexing and I was just going to have to learn to live with it, until now!  While I was installing the SeeLevel II tank monitoring system I had to remove part of the black plastic undercarriage cover. While I had it off, I figured I would look around to see if I could find out what was causing the sound. The problem was easy to spot, LG runs a ½” steel black pipe gas line from the front to the back for the propane appliances and the Adle system in the back. It runs down the center thru the frame and hangs down about a 1” from the floor. The problem is there is a bolt that is used on one of the brackets that holds the fresh water tank in place. The bolt is attached to the floor and it was pressed tight against the side of the gas line which runs thru the frame. Every time the floor flexes, the bolt rubs up and down against the gas line causing the sound. I fixed this by splitting open a piece of ¾” plastic Pex line about 4” long, pried the gas line over enough to slip it over the gas line next to the bolt. This keeps the bolt from contacting the gas line and the problem is finally solved! No more squeaking floor! I am now a Happier Camper :)

Comments

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

We have a 2015 Max S and had similar issues. After a year of travels the floor pops have gone away. Thanks to vibration I think.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    I wonder over time if that rubbing would cause a leak in the gas line...if so LG has a potential problem they need to be made aware of and perhaps initiate a re call if I read you "problem" correctly.
    PopT@B did I read your issue correctly?
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I'd be concerned about wear on the gas line too!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Wonder if it needs to be raised with LG/T@B for a comment?
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I haven't had a squeek. That pipe is pretty thick-walled (1/8") like std house gas lines isn't it? If so, that would tale a lot of rubbing. I'll do a heads up message though.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Pop-T@B said:
    Does anyone else have a squeaking or a creaking sound in the center of the floor just in front of the two side benches when you step there? We have a 2016 T@B Max S and ours has done it since day one and it drives me crazy. I have seen posts about the floor and it thickness and I figured it was the floor flexing and I was just going to have to learn to live with it, until now!  While I was installing the SeeLevel II tank monitoring system I had to remove part of the black plastic undercarriage cover. While I had it off, I figured I would look around to see if I could find out what was causing the sound. The problem was easy to spot, LG runs a ½” steel black pipe gas line from the front to the back for the propane appliances and the Adle system in the back. It runs down the center thru the frame and hangs down about a 1” from the floor. The problem is there is a bolt that is used on one of the brackets that holds the fresh water tank in place. The bolt is attached to the floor and it was pressed tight against the side of the gas line which runs thru the frame. Every time the floor flexes, the bolt rubs up and down against the gas line causing the sound. I fixed this by splitting open a piece of ¾” plastic Pex line about 4” long, pried the gas line over enough to slip it over the gas line next to the bolt. This keeps the bolt from contacting the gas line and the problem is finally solved! No more squeaking floor! I am now a Happier Camper :)
    I will contact Pleasant Valley. Thanks for the heads up and I will get back to you. Thanks for info. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I agree with PxLated, the gas line has a very heavy wall thickness, if it happened it would take a very long time. But I suppose it is possible, if given enough time. Verna, it wouldn't hurt to let LG know about it to see what they think. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Verna has sent a message onto the factory to alert them of this issue. I am sure that they will look at it and if something needs to be done they will cover it. I would agree, the gas line is steel and heavy duty enough to withstand any rubbing, but believe they will look into it further regardless.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    When I was finishing my basement, the electrical inspector spotted a gas line touching some flexible metal electric line shielding touching the gas line. He was concerned about a bi-metal reaction between the two, eating away at the gas line over time.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Betting it'd take decades/centuries for bi-metal to work thru that thick of pipe.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @PXLated, he said about 30 years, but add the vibration/abrasion in a trailer, I bet it would be shortened.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Not sure since bi-metal's a chemical reaction - I suppose if new metal was constantly being exposed.
    The only bi-metal experience I have was from years ago when a rather large computer mfg had a big bi-metal mess on there hands - lots of expensive specialized circuit boards corroding.