Options

No Reservations

jehdfdjehdfd Member Posts: 27
I'm new to camping with my T@b and could use some advice. We'd really like to go to a couple of National Parks in Utah in July; however, very few of the places I've checked allow for reservations. They are mostly first come first served. It's kind of scary to think of driving from Colorado to Utah and just gambling that I'll find a site. Is this a valid concern or am I worried over nothing? Any advice you have I would really appreciate!
Aurora, Colorado - 2016 T@b Outback - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    From my limited NP experience - There's lots of turnover and the best time is to get there is 10-12 noon for those that don't take reservations. Lots of people pull out early (especially tenters). You may have to cool your jets for an hour or so but there's many moving on to their next destination. But, have an alternative - another campgrounds or a boondocking site close by - just in case. I've seen people show up late (even as late as 10pm) and get skunked.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That being said, they may fill up. Most of the Utah National Parks have other BLM camping near the parks. Try Campendium.com That site is particularly good for these types of campgrounds.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Or if you have a iPhone/iPad, the UltimateCG (campground) app is very good - It's my camping/travel bible - Haven't gotten skunked and not found something ever.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Ditto to Jenn...there are a lot of options around Moab...watch the time of year and time of day if you want to visit Arches!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Only campground in Arches NP requires a reservation.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2016
    There are a number of campgrounds down 128 towards Castle Valley, along the Colorado, which is my favorite area. There is also Sand Flats, which rarely fills up. There are also some sites up on the Island in the Sky plateau before the Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands. also, the Dead Horse Point SP campground gets rave reviews. It will be cooler up on the plateau then along the river in the summer, but there is no shade.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    PXLated, on my android, there is an Ultimate US Public Campground ap by Toad Hall Enterprises. Is this the same one that you use on your ios? The icon has UC in the lower right corner, an American flag in the lower left, and the top half shows a class C motorhome. Thanks!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    That's it. Thank you. Do I have to buy it twice? Once for my smart phone and once for my laptop or tablet?
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    PXLated said:
    Looks like this...

I was wondering what filter setting you use.  I've tried setting them in various ways and still I'm not happy with the results.  Allstays seems to work better for me it I'd like the option of this app too.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I just uncheck the ones I don't want like indian reservations & military. Allstays is better for commercial campgrounds, UCG's far better at everything else for me. In some areas, UCG shows me 2-3 times as many campgrounds as Allstays. As with everything though it probably depends on exactly where you are.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I always travel by the seat of my pants and have never been shut out yet.  With a T@B you do have options and even up in Alaska we always found nice camp sites and availability.  I think this is more of an issue during peak holiday weekends or week days such as the 4th of July or possibly at well known camping areas like Ponderosa SP out in McCall, Idaho, etc.  But as noted above by Jenn, most areas outside the national parks do have ample camping via privately owned parks, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    There's usually other parks besides the "private/commercial" ones also - For instance, at Theo Roosevelt NP there were Forest Service campgrounds - I stayed at one six miles west for half the price. Much nicer, roomier, level sites then in the NP also. So, plenty of options if you look around.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I just uncheck the ones I don't want like indian reservations & military. Allstays is better for commercial campgrounds, UCG's far better at everything else for me. In some areas, UCG shows me 2-3 times as many campgrounds as Allstays. As with everything though it probably depends on exactly where you are.
    So you just leave all the other categories as they are, with everything checked, to get the most hits?  I thought I had to go through each section and select specifics.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    Yep, I just leave them all checked - less the two mentioned.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nice tip re Forest Service campgrounds. Thanks.
    PXLated said:
    There's usually other parks besides the "private/commercial" ones also - For instance, at Theo Roosevelt NP there were Forest Service campgrounds - I stayed at one six miles west for half the price. Much nicer, roomier, level sites then in the NP also. So, plenty of options if you look around.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya