Options

Dumb Alde Question

This is an embarrassingly ignorant question, but here goes....

Where is the Alde Glycol refill tank?  I have a 2015 Max U Outback.  The Alde manual shows a picture of the refill tank, but I cannot for the life of me find it.  I thought it would be attached to the Alde system, but I don't see anything that resembles the refill tank.  I looked in all the compartments near the Alde system and nothing.  I popped the black plastic top cover off of the Alde system and nothing.  And I did a search here on the forum and couldn't find that anyone else has had this problem, so I'm assuming that everyone else out there knows exactly where it is.  Except me.  Duh.
2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Joe said:
    This is an embarrassingly ignorant question, but here goes....

Where is the Alde Glycol refill tank?  I have a 2015 Max U Outback.  The Alde manual shows a picture of the refill tank, but I cannot for the life of me find it.  I thought it would be attached to the Alde system, but I don't see anything that resembles the refill tank.  I looked in all the compartments near the Alde system and nothing.  I popped the black plastic top cover off of the Alde system and nothing.  And I did a search here on the forum and couldn't find that anyone else has had this problem, so I'm assuming that everyone else out there knows exactly where it is.  Except me.  Duh.
    No worries, it isn't obvious. It's under the back bench. Mine was held close with a couple of screws.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Well, the factory gotcha!  It is located at the rear of your T@B inside, but under the shelf at the right rear...is where it is located, just like on the S M@X models.  There may be a couple of short square drive screws holding it down, so run your fingers carefully along the front edge.

I'm going by the floorplans in the T@B brochure, so tell me if this isn't where yours is.

Keep a used water bottle handy to put distilled water or glycol in to add to the reservoir if needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Verna -- Ok, that is one place I did not look.  I'll check it out next time I go out to where it's stored.

BTW, thanks for NOT replying, "YOU IDIOT, didn't you look under the shelf at the right rear?"

~ Joe
  • Options
    Joe said:
    Verna -- Ok, that is one place I did not look.  I'll check it out next time I go out to where it's stored.

BTW, thanks for NOT replying, "YOU IDIOT, didn't you look under the shelf at the right rear?"

~ Joe
    Joe, as with any subject, the only dumb question is the one not asked!  I do recommend readding here on the forum. The search box is on the upper right. Think of a subject, sit fown with your beverage of choice and read. Or just pick a category on the right and read. Since you have a T@B, you can relate to content of the subjects.

And, we don't allow name calling here!  No one is an idiot. We all started as new owners at one time. Is it camping time yet?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    thomlinzthomlinz Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2015 Sofitel CS/S max and was having trouble locating the Alde reservoir. Called the dealer, factory and through these forums only was I eventually able to locate it. In the shower, behind the tiny door on the support between the walls. No way I can visually check the levels without a stick or the camera from my phone. Ed at pleasant valley said they were working on model specific owners manuals....wont that be nice kids?
    t@b sofitel max cs/s - Heartland USA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ya, the CS models are different - Has been discussed here a couple times.
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Verna,

I found the refill tank right where you said it would be, under the rear shelf.  The glycol level was between min and max.  Thanks so much for the tip.

~ Joe
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Joe said:
    Verna,

I found the refill tank right where you said it would be, under the rear shelf.  The glycol level was between min and max.  Thanks so much for the tip.

~ Joe
    Joe,

I know that Verna and I have discussed this and implemented it in our trailer units, but I removed the rear panel in the back of my T@B S unit and cut the panel off just over the Glycol reservoir.  I installed a cross-member between the small piece I cut off and under the larger panel in the reservoir area and can now easily remove the cover to check the Glycol level and refill the fluid as needed without having to worry about taking off the rear cover as before.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Mike: what a good idea I noticed Vernas was cut in panels when I viewed her wood working art. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Cutting the rear shelf so there is easier access to the Alde reservoir has been a great time saver.  It's easier to remove a 12" or piece of birch, than to remove the 6' long piece.  I found I just needed to screw "cleats" of wood to the rear wall below the shelf to hold the pieces of shelf in place after cutting it.  I can easily check the Alde glycol level (be sure to use a Sharpie to mark over the level indicators on the reservoir so you can see the MIN and MAX). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Very good ideas, Verna (Sharpie and cleats). Thanks!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Joe said:
    Verna,

~ Joe
    Joe,

I know that Verna and I have discussed this and implemented it in our trailer units, but I removed the rear panel in the back of my T@B S unit and cut the panel off just over the Glycol reservoir.  I installed a cross-member between the small piece I cut off and under the larger panel in the reservoir area and can now easily remove the cover to check the Glycol level and refill the fluid as needed without having to worry about taking off the rear cover as before.  
    Mike (or Verna) do you have a photo of this mod?  I have yet to get to the glycol tank in mine.  I know about the two screws that need to be felt around for and found, just haven't had a chance to get all the bedding out and mess with it. Once I do get the back wall open, anything that makes getting to the glycol tank it in the future more easily sounds like a great mod.  Thanks.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2291/my-version-of-heat-vents-for-the-rear-shelf/p1

@RollingLagrima, check out my photos in the above thread.  You can see where I actually cut the shelf into 4 pieces, although the "cut" nearest the T@B (which is over the reservoir) is almost invisible with the angle of the photo.  

Be sure to remove the board, measure the area needed to see the reservoir and then make the cut. (Measure twice, cut once!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks. I remember the thread and the beautiful photos. However, it didn't occur to me that you also cut that long board into several pieces. Another great idea!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Joe said:
    Verna,

~ Joe
    Ditto, finally go it, sharpie marked the min max lines, flipped the shelf around so the hand twisted 1/3 of the way screws are sticking up like tiny grab handles along the back of the shelf (instead of at the default front where bedding might snag on it) for easy access until I saw the shelf in half.
  • Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
    I know i must have high quality Glycol , but what kind & where can i get it , if & when i need to top off the reservoir . Thanks , has not ran too much , new this month, but will need it at some point. Will leave for out west soon, wood like to have some on hand just in case. Jim&Edith, Mich.
  • Options
    TaB2go said:
    I know i must have high quality Glycol , but what kind & where can i get it , if & when i need to top off the reservoir . Thanks , has not ran too much , new this month, but will need it at some point. Will leave for out west soon, wood like to have some on hand just in case. Jim&Edith, Mich.
    Call Elsie at the Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers (numbers at the right under contact numbers) and order a gallon from her.  I "shared" mine with others at the gathering at Why , AZ and still have plenty. Be sure to dilute with 50% distilled water. Don't forget that the hot water uses a portion of the Alde.  Most were surprised at how low the levels were in the reservoir. A funnel and an empty water bottle to mix the solution in is very handy to have on hand. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I found my Sierra Low Tox at an auto parts store in SD - Called around and finally one store had a couple jugs.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    My research (between Beth's recommendation and talking with some people at NAPA auto parts) said to not mix colors (even though basically the same, they said the chemicals are a bit different and mixing the colors can gum up the system down the road). I had ordered the Prestone LowTox but after seeing my glycol was yellow I decided against the LowTox. Elsie at the factory said "they use yellow - Century Chemical brand".  Perhaps everyone has a different color to begin with (I know Beth's is pink). What color was yours Verna and PXL?
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Pink I think - Need to check the level and will verify.
  • Options
    If pink, I believe the LowTox is green. Wonder how much truth is in the "don't mix the colors" advice. Perhaps you're just keeping it on hand to use after you drain what's in there - ?

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Back when these glycol discussion threads first started, The recommendation was Sierra Low Tox. There was NO discussion about mixing one low tox with another - It was simply "Low Tox" so I didn't pay much attention to which color of the rainbow it and I had. At that time it was like pulling teeth just to get to the "low tox" verdict and then finding some.
    In 17 months I've only had to add a cup or two.
  • Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
        Thanks to all for your feedback.  I just ordered a gal. of glycol from Elsie in the parts dept.    Jim
  • Options
    My research (between Beth's recommendation and talking with some people at NAPA auto parts) said to not mix colors (even though basically the same, they said the chemicals are a bit different and mixing the colors can gum up the system down the road). I had ordered the Prestone LowTox but after seeing my glycol was yellow I decided against the LowTox. Elsie at the factory said "they use yellow - Century Chemical brand".  Perhaps everyone has a different color to begin with (I know Beth's is pink). What color was yours Verna and PXL?
    Yellow in my reservoir and yellow with what the factory sent me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Would really like an answer to the "can you mix them" question.
    There's probably quite a few of us that have mixed (to a certain degree) based on the first discussion.
  • Options
    PXL - think the factory could answer that definitely? I'd like to know as well. A quick Google search: http://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/2479/green-orange-yellow-blue-color-coolant-buy/

Of course they seem to talk about vehicles so this may not apply to rv's.

• Options
    Thanks Connie - I do find it interesting, though, that our Alde's all seem to have come with different color in them - that's why I wondered if the factory filled it before shipping or dealers fill them (mine came with yellow - Elsie said they use yellow) - Think I'll call Alde tomorrow. 

• Options
    Mine came with yellow too. But my camper came from Tom's as yours did Mickietucs. I am interested in what Alde has to say. I need to a bit of yellow or whatever Alde says...
  • Options
    connie6465 - Yes, you can get from LG rather than theauto parts store but as others have stated, that doesn't solve the problem as we seem to have different colors from the factory.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ed at LG said that the glycol that they sell is already 50%, so it should not be mixed with water.

The glycol I bought from Amazon, Prestone Low-Tox, is 100%, so it does need to be mixed with water.

I contacted Prestone to ask if mixing Prestone Low-Tox with Sierra (which is what Ed told me the factory uses) was ok. Prestone said it would be fine.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya