Options

Satillite TV

I've been trying to determine if a satillite tv system is feasible for the T@B. Can't find anything with the search function. Our TV is 12 volt dc but all sat. receivers are 120 volt ac. Since boondocking is when we would most likely use sat. TV, 12 volt dc is the power of choice.
That would require an inverter. Other issue is where to put the sat. receiver. Has anyone tackled this luxury?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, I have a Dish Tailgater, along with a 120V ac receiver made for one TV and matched for this Tailgater. I have a 400 watt inverter that becomes 100 watts if you plug it into the 12V supply (cigarette lighter outlet). 100 watts is sufficient for the receiver. 

I love it. I figured I would really miss watching my IU Hoosiers Mens BB games while wintering in the Southwest. Yes, I consider it a splurge, a luxury. But, if I don't spoil myself, no one else will!. 

I chose the Tailgater because it is so easy to find the satellites. It has a handle on it. Point the handle to north and make sure there are no obstructions to the south and southwest. Plug the cable into the outside Coax connecter on your T@B, remove the coax from your TV, connect it to the receiver with an extension, and connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Follow the on-screen directions and watch whatever you want.  No more of the tweaking of a satellite dish--you can have the satellite dish do it for you.  

When you buy your satellite, make sure you get a month-to-month one, unless you will be using it every month. When you talk to the providers, be very specific as to what you want. I wanted the sports channels and I wanted local channels. Last year I was told I couldn't have local channels. I believed the representative and that person was wrong.  You can have local channels. As you change locations, call  the company (Dish or whatever), give them the new zip code and you will have your local channels and whatever else you want to pay for. 

Also, buy a long heavy duty bike cable and a couple of padlocks.  I understand they may grow legs and disappear. I always put mine away for the night, so no one is tempted. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    One year later and I'm still a happy camper with my dish tailgater...have heard of many complaints from those with permanent installed dishes that are restricted by obstructions once setup at their campsite...with the tailgater you can move your dish to the optimal location with ease. Service has been great...what a nice modern convenience...I love college sports and this package Is just the ticket.
    I also have my local channels so I can keep up with what's going on at home while on the road. Can add tailgater service to your existing Dish home subscription for 7 bucks...not a bad deal.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    See a lot of Tailgaters out there, seem to be very popular. Haven't seen one secured though. Even out boondocking. Aren't they registered so can't be used if stolen?
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    So where do you put the receiver? If placed under the driver side seat the remote doesn't work. We have an S-max so only other place is hung under the air conditioner which is a head banger.
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    edited January 2016
    Mounts to cabinet perfectly with Velcro....still in line with extinguisher so protected...cable lays coiled under seat when rolling down the road...cabinet still functions. Works for me. Remote works even when bed laid out for sleeping...

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    I haven't been able to  check the WFCO yet ( t@d in storage ) but where is there access to 12 vdc power? Does the converter have an extra circuit available? I found a Tracvision DirectTV receiver that's 12 vdc powered, has a remote sensor so it could be mounted under driver side seat and sensor operated by remote control.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    sabel said:
    I haven't been able to  check the WFCO yet ( t@d in storage ) but where is there access to 12 vdc power? Does the converter have an extra circuit available? I found a Tracvision DirectTV receiver that's 12 vdc powered, has a remote sensor so it could be mounted under driver side seat and sensor operated by remote control.

I do not have an answer for you Sabel. Maybe someone more familiar with the converter will chime in. The 12V receiver sounds good, but I have too much $$ invested in my Tailgater right now to change. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    sabel said:

If you are not familiar with this take your trailer in to your LG dealer or a local RV repair center and they can help you identify a 12 volt feed on that side and hook up your receiver for you.  My trailer is currently in storage but I did pick up a feed on the driver's side (from an existing line) and installed a small digital LED voltmeter in the bench seat front so I can monitor the battery voltage either inside or outside the trailer when in use.  You would want to install a fuse too to protect the receiver.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ