Options

TV or T@B

we picked up our T@B today and 2.5 hrs home to Asheville, NC. Very cold today. I left the trailer hitch to the tv, complete with electric plug. Will the T@B drain its battery, or the tv's? Should I disconnect? We will re- maneuver the rig so I can plug in to house power tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2016
    Unless your TV has a battery isolator (solenoid) then the T@b will drain the TV battery. This is only if your TV is wired to charge your T@b while driving. I try not to leave mine plugged in for more than 15 minutes while the TV is turned off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I don't have a problem leaving mine hooked to my Jeep for an hour or so while shut off, I certainly wouldn't push it too far beyond that. But, it depends on if anything in the T@B is on/running - fridge, heat, lights, etc. - I'd definetly unplug in your overnight case even if nothing is on.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I feel an isolator is a must. On my previous tow vehicle, when I installed the 7-pin and charge line, we added the isolator. On my current truck, it is built into the tow package.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I feel an isolator is a must. On my previous tow vehicle, when I installed the 7-pin and charge line, we added the isolator. On my current truck, it is built into the tow package.
    Not built into my tow package and I am concerned about messing with the electronics and voiding the warranty, although I would love the peace of mind of having one.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    What we did to install the isolator is found a "switched" empty fuse slot on the truck. We then took an old broken fuse, cut some of the plastic housing off of the fuse and soldered the wire connecting the isolator to the broken fuse and inserted it into the switched empty fuse slot. It didn't involve any other electronics on the truck, and could be pulled at any time. The pictures aren't the best, but hope this helps.

http://www.mouseketab.blogspot.com/2008/07/charge-line-and-relay-photos.html
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and I installed the Mopar factory 7 pin wiring harness for a new T@B I am picking up.  The wire to charge the the battery, pin 4, looks like it would melt if the trailer battery was low.  What keeps the battery from drawing to much current?  It looks like I should replace with at least a #10 hot and a #10 ground.  How has the factory harness worked for others?
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Thanks for the reply.  I'll start with the stock setup.  If the voltage at the trailer battery is too slow to rise I might experiment with a separate 2 pole plug with larger wire fused at both ends.  I come from boating where larger wires solve a lot of peoples problems.  I have a good Fluke meter that is waterproof and completely o ring sealed.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Alan We do not leave ours plugged in for more than 10 minutes just to be on the safe side.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God