Options

Lower and UP Michigan

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
we are starting to plan a long trip late this spring. It will include going thru MIchigan, coming from NC, to the UP and over to WI. Can those experienced with these areas suggest campgrounds, routes and/or sights to see? We will be taking the northern corridor to Idaho then the SW before heading home...we may actually take it in reverse order to let the UP warm up?. 

Comments

• Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
    Have been camping in Michigan's UP for the last 25 years and stay in state parks. Two favorite ones are Tahquamanon Falls state park. The upper and lower falls are beautiful, nature at its finest. Also worth the trip up the keweenaw peninsula to Ft. Wilkins state park at Copper Harbor. Lake Superior is magnificent with much to see and do there in copper country, steeped in history. Both parks are well managed and offer interesting programs.    Happy camping, TaB2go   Mi.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Alan said:
    we are starting to plan a long trip late this spring. It will include going thru MIchigan, coming from NC, to the UP and over to WI. Can those experienced with these areas suggest campgrounds, routes and/or sights to see? We will be taking the northern corridor to Idaho then the SW before heading home...we may actually take it in reverse order to let the UP warm up?. 
    Are you planning to come up I-75 up through Michigan?  Northern lower Michigan has many great state parks and you would also enjoy the lake Michigan shoreline but will need more details of your planned route to make some additional suggestions....  The UP is beautiful and Brimley has a beautiful state park due north of the Mackinac Bridge.  If you have time I would suggest parking at Mackinaw City and taking the ferry over to Mackinaw Island for the day, renting a couple of bikes or taking a buggy tour around the island which is 8 miles long.  Much easier by bike and have lunch at the Grand Hotel, walking through town and enjoying some fudge and the shops.  

At Brimley you could go into Sault Ste. Marie, have lunch at Antlers and take a boat tour of the world famous Sault Locks.  There is a campground at Grand Marais up on Lake Superior and a quaint little diner on the edge of town for breakfast.  When heading east you can see White Fish Point and the famous lighthouse and look out at the site of the Edmund Fitzgerald out in White Fish Bay.  Many state forest campgrounds along that beautiful trail and right along the Lake Superior shoreline.  Munising has camping and isn't far from the Pictured Rocks National Shoreline.  There are boat tours out of Munising and you can enter the park by car too.  And as noted Taquamanon Falls has a beautiful camping area in the state park and fine facilities as well.  

There is a small campground just off the beaten path as you come into Munising called Otter Lake Campground.  I have stayed here and it is quiet (was when I visited) and has some nice sites too.  Other areas of interest would be Copper Harbor and the Porcupine Mountain region of the UP.  And as noted there are other state parks and state forest camping areas along the way.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    We are considering using 131 or 31 rather than 75, but I don't really know if that's a good idea. There just seemed to be more to see that route.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I travel US 31 almost every day and have lived in western Michigan my whole life so I might be a bit biased but I would heartily recommend 31 over 131 or 75.   There is much to see and do, and too many places to mention to camp, all along the Lake Michigan shore.   Beautiful beaches, great state parks, quaint beach towns and of course Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, voted America's prettiest place several years ago.  Once you get to the U.P.  take US 2 as it hugs the northern shore of Lake Michigan.   A short trip down the Garden Peninsula to Fayette State Park, an historic iron smelting town, is well worth your time.  I'd recommend US 2 all the way out to your destination as it has a "Route 66" feel to it.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Plenty of nice northern towns along that route for sure and make sure you stop in Traverse City, Charlevoix and Petoskey as there are plenty of shopping oppourtunities along the way, historic sites, fresh fruit, etc.  The Leelanau Peninsula is a nice area to visit too and very interesting with the old fishing town, shops, etc.  there are a lot of lighthouses along the way too that you would enjoy.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ