Options

Chipping paint on propane cover

AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
edited February 2016 in Trailer & Towing
The paint on our 2014 propane cover started chipping off all at once.  Looks terrible.  Has anyone painted theirs?  
Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmmm - Shouldn't I wouldn't think - Search for "turbulance" here on the forum - Some vehicles set up extreme turbulance between the T@B and TV that flexes the cover to extremes to the point of cracking it. The reason I bring this up is that even if you repaint (which you should be able to do), it may just happen again.
    Anyone else remember those turbulance threads?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    It's a fiberglass cover and shouldn't be an issue if you prep the surface, do some light sanding on it, spray it with primer and then the paint color selected.  I've heard of people using plasti-dip to protect paint (it can be peeled off later) and that might be an option once you get the cover repainted and repaired.  

I've never used it, but maybe someone else can provide some input here?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks PXLated for the direct to the turbulence thread.  I don't think this is the problem.  We have the metal frame and I don't see any cracks or signs of strain in the actual box.  It seems to be structurally sound.  I just talked to someone at L.G.  who suggested the cover was not painted correctly originally as they had to change painters.  Not too happy about that.  I considered changing to the diamond box but really like the coordinated look of the painted one.   I am just not sure that it can be repainted and still look decent.
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    The paint on our 2014 propane cover started chipping off all at once.  Looks terrible.  Has anyone painted theirs?  
    Our's is chipped too, caused by stone chips.  I have a new tow vehicle and the first thing that I did was add rear mud flaps.  They have made a big difference in the amount of debris thrown up by the tires.  The previous owner had a custom colour from the factory (Mazda Blue).  I have to get some matching touch up paint from the auto supply and will apply it in the warm weather.  From watching some of the LG videos it appears that now the propane cover and the trim are colour infused.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Thanks Mike - definitely worth a try.  Mercator - L.G. offered to sell me touch up paint but our peeling paint is beyond a "touch up".  Maybe they can provide you with the exact color.
  • Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    The propane cover is not fiberglass,it is thermoformed ABS plastic,which needs to be scuffed very well before paint,also the paint needs a flex agent added to it before spaying,if your paint is flaking off, the plastic wasn't prepped correctly prior to being painted or the flex additive was not used.The old paint would have to be removed completely before attempting a repaint.There is also a adhesion promoter, that can be used prior to paint.

Matt
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of work to get all of the paint removed but worth a try.  Thanks Matt.
  • Options
    Always amazes me how much knowledge about so many topics/issues there is on the forum. Flex agents, who'd a thunk :-)
  • Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    Sounds like a lot of work to get all of the paint removed but worth a try.  Thanks Matt.
    Let me try to clarify a little,If your paint is chipping from being bumped,scrapped,etc,then you should be able to sand smooth,feather the edges around the chips and repaint.If your paint is just peeling off for no reason or because lack of adhesion,then you would for sure wanna strip it.The last thing you wanna do is paint over paint that is coming off due to lack of adheison,because anything you spray over it will just peel off with the original paint.Make sense?

• Options
    Yep.  I don't think this is a simple case of rocks causing chipping. After talking to L.G., I think this is a problem with the original paint job and will need to be stripped.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    This is interesting info. I thought the plastic was colored through and through, and molded, rather than painted.

I haven't seen any chips in ours at all. 

On the other hand, our propane cover's frame lost all it's paint within two years, and the factory was quick to replace it for me. They'd not had that problem before.

LG is pretty impressive that way.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Could it be that the cover is silver color throughout (no paint) to match the std. body color? My T@B is Silver/Silver and if it's painted, they sure did a good job inside and out.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    My 2014 T@B's propane cover started chipping within the first 6 months.  I am now outside of the 1 yr. warranty period.  When I took it into a dealer for the 5,000 mile service on the brakes (greasing the pads, etc.), the dealer told me that the cover had been "painted" and the color was not baked into the plastic as it should have been.  I could not have known this.  I am planning on getting a diamond plate tongue box at Tearstock this year. 
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The factory has changed many things through the years, including making the newer front tubs of a solid color. My original tub was a painted red, which could be painted by the factory (or one of its vendors) to match as a replacement tub.  So, my early 2014 T@B was probably painted,  and it appears the 2015's are solid colors.  Little Guy/Pleasant Valley offer a 1 year warranty, so if you're the original owner and you've had it for over a year, your warranty has expired.  Sorry. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    My bad for not making an 'issue' of the chipping within the 1 yr. warranty period; but heck, I like the idea/looks of the diamond plate tongue box.  I'll check it out at Tearstock.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Even though I didn't get the curved diamond plate tongue box from LG, I really like the look of the (trapezoid?) diamond plate box I put on the front. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, because I liked the curve of the original cover. To be honest, the T@B is so gorgeous, you'd have to put a trashcan in the front for it to take away from the good looks of the camper. :) Sis has the Outback and I love her curved diamond plate box look. That swayed me to get the box I have now. I think you'll love it once you put it on!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I opted for the diamond plate cover when I bought my 2015 and it really sets the trailer off nicely.....  If the chipping is an issue I would consider taking the cover in to a local body shop and getting their input and an estimate on the repair work if it is not too expensive.  Most of these places work on fiberglass corvette bodies and might be able to do a long term fix or give you some protective ideas in helping to maintain the looks of the cover once completed.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my diamond plate tub. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”