Options

Can dimmer switches be installed on the 12 volt LED lights?

tabhappytabhappy Member Posts: 40
Has anyone replaced a D/C switch to a dimmer for the LED lights?
   Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas
Became Tabbers Oct. 24, 2015

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    tabhappy said:
    Has anyone replaced a D/C switch to a dimmer for the LED lights?

@Michigan_Mikedid you do this? I think I remember someone saying they had.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I didn't, but would like to know how.  I'll keep digging.
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I hate bright lights - search for light dimmers threads - I made inserts to dim the suckers. Can remove when I want or need brighter - inserts are nothing more than milky disks cut from a milk carton.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I opted for the smaller lights used in the T@G trailer units and shown in the photo.  I mounted a light in the back corners of the trailer, beneath the cabinets in my Max S unit.  These lights are in addition to the front mounted lights on the cabinets that I use for lighting up the interior.  The smaller under cabinet light has a solid clear lens, provides a nice soft reading light and when you push the button in again the light changes to blue.  Both lights look nice in the light blue light cast inside the trailer and are like a mood light and I leave them on when away from the trailer.  If you are interested you should call Elsie at the factory or email her and inquire about them to see if they are still available.  I had these lights for a while and intended to use them in my Silver Shadow, but like them in the T@B.

There are 12 volt dimmers available and you can buy them on Amazon.  I had spoken to an RV supplier and he said that they were available, but he never got back to me as I'd mentioned that people in the forum areas were interested.  

Check these out...  There are many of these out there and Google is your friend!  

Wall Mounted Touch Controller

Adjustable Dimmer

Image result for PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon 12 Volt 8 Amp

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks for the info although I have two of these 12V RV switches, one for the front door light and the inside light.....

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Adding this to my list of planned mods...

@tabhappy, where did you get your switches?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Search LED dimmer switch 12 volt for RV on Ebay, or the manufacturer... 

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    That one looks really nice, like it belongs in the T@B!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    tabhappy said:
    Thanks for the info although I have two of these 12V RV switches, one for the front door light and the inside light.....

I took the porch light apart and converted it to an amber LED light so this will limit the bug attraction and makes a comfortable light outdoors that I can leave on and still be able to function and find my trailer in the dark.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ooooowa, I want to do that. We did figure out the dimmer switch installation though...

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Nice install - it looks like they were meant to be for your T@b!

I put a bunch of dimmers in my house and realized alter, I never use them. If I could dim anything, it would be the reading lights. Instead, I opt for eith my dimmable lantern or the soft fair lights I have.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Like you Jenn, once set to my desired brightness, I never touched them again. That's why my little disk inserts are working out so well. Once I found the disc density that gave me the right brightness I was set. Haven't touched them since. I also cut discs out of a photographic (stage lighting) gel sheet to warm the color up a little - got that warm old log cabin style light.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're probably right about not adjusting them after they are set where I want them. We've only camped in it once and I didn't like getting blasted with the LED's.  I wish I thought of the filter thing instead, that would have been fine.....but what's done is done! 
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas