Options

Thermostat Broken?

Ok, I'm at Dangerfield State Park in TX. It is getting pretty chilly, so I turned on the heat. I didn't hear the "dripping" sound I usually hear. I checked the temp settings (set to "5" now), fuse box, glass fuse inside the Alde panel, and they all seemed okay. I found out water heater is working and producing pretty hot water as usual. Now, the room temperature is 65F. I tried both electric and gas (and both). When I turn it on, it gives me a "click" sound, but it is probably for the water heater. Earlier, two hours after I turn on the heat, it finally started making the usual motor (pump?) and dripping sound and stopped in about 10 seconds. Is my thermostat broken?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    What happens if you shut off the Alde (all sliders down, dial to zero), throw all the breakers, disconnect all power including the battery fuse. And then restore everything back - kind of like a coumputer restart. - Don't know if it'll do anything but who knows.
    Thermostat could be broken but there isn't much to it so not much to break.
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    PX, it was dark and cold outside, so I decided to just sleep and look at it in the morning. It started several times (just making the dripping sound for about 10 seconds and stop every 15-30 mins) while I was still trying to sleep. It did not completely start for at least 4 hours after I started the system. Water was still hot. I woke up around 6am because it was so hot (I had my jeans/jacket/comforter on). It was working and heating up my T@B like crazy! I left the temp settings to 5, so it was boiling hot!

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    JiroTX, I just replaced my analog thermostat with a digital one because of the same symptoms.  One morning it would be 60*, the next 75*, with the same settings on the dial.  The 60* mornings were becoming more and more often, so I gave up.  I installed the new thermostat two days ago, and it is so nice to have a nice constant temperature during the night!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I agree, warmth is good :-)
    Installing a new analog is pretty easy. The digital is a little more involved and takes a Verna type :-)
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    When you say analog thermostat, are you referring to the entire Alde slider control panel most of us have, or to a thermostat element imbedded somewhere in the Alde heater itself? Thanks.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thanks Verna for the info. Did you get it replaced with the warranty?
  • Options
    Salley - The whole (standard) unit - Sliders/dial.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    JiroTX said:
    Thanks Verna for the info. Did you get it replaced with the warranty?
    Verna upgraded her thermostat and ordered one from the factory and had it shipped out to Tucson where she was staying earlier this winter.  Call or email Elsie as you can buy them from the factory.  They are easy enough to install, but do require enlarging the current hole in the wall so you will either need a small keyhole saw or a jigsaw.  I left my old wiring intact just to ensure that things worked out and the new wiring can be fed down the wall to the floor and hooks up to the existing contacts on the Alde unit.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I have a digital but have never installed it simply because being on the road I don't have the tools to enlarge the hole and drill holes for the larger mounting plate. And, am basically happy with the analog sliders.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    PXLated said:
    Salley - The whole (standard) unit - Sliders/dial.
    Thanks
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Mike. I will contact the factory and see if they can send me another analog one or not. I don't think I want to pay for the digital one. I just need a thermostat that I can start the heater with. It just didn't start at all for at least 4 hours. I had to sleep in the cold (64F is too cold for me as I usually set my room temp to 73F at home), and because I left it at "5," it made my T@B too hot after it started running sometime in the middle of the night....
    It was trying to start. I heard the clicking sound and dripping sound for about 10 seconds several times before I fell asleep.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If you don't have any luck with the factory let me know as I do have my old thermostat and could stick it in the mail to you if you need it.  Send me a personal message if things don't work out.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!
    I have sent a message to the factory through their contact form, but I haven't received anything back yet (I did receive the auto reply message from the system). It did work next day, so I will see how it goes. I will msg you if I don't hear anything from them.

Jiro
  • Options
    Just talked to Ed over the phone. He is sending me the digital thermostat! I will update this thread once it is installed.

Thanks Ed and everyone on the forum!
  • Options
    I still haven't received the thermostat, so I brought a space heater this time. I'm glad I did! I'm at the campsite. Outside temp is 37F. The heater is not clicking or making any sound at all, but water heater is heating really good as usual.
    It started working during the night and worked whole day 2nd day the last time. I'll see how it goes this time...
  • Options
    I finally received everything today. It took me about an hour to replace the thermostat to the digital one. It has been quite warm here (80-87 since Monday), so I had to set it pretty high to start the heater. I also started the A/C to cool down the room temp first. So far so good! I can't really test it until it gets cold, but it looks like it will be pretty cold (32-ish) at Big Bend National Park when I get there Saturday evening.