Options

MOGOLLON RIM Camping trip in the works-cross posted from the littleguy forum.

The wife and I had so much fun at T@bazona 2016 we figured we would love to do a summer camping get-together. I am looking for input on what people would like most as a venue. There are a number of camping options, please indicate what would interest you more. Boondocking , full hookup camp sites, or what they are calling improved camp sites ( no power or water on pads but access to vault toilets, and potable water).  Also would lake access be important or not to you.

link to original post: http://littleguy.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4212/mogollon-rim-camping-trip-in-the-works#latest

Update:
So far with my research I've found most of the "camp grounds" get reserved and full by April or may for the summer months. Looking at boon docking options and group camp area options as they don't fill up per the Rangers station. I would hate to pick a campground and have people spread all over the place.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I'm all-in for a Tribal Gathering of Little Guys (would that be TGLG?).  I would prefer wide open BLM land near a Walmart (for their $5 pizzas near the checkouts). Someplace up north in cooler climes, so we don't have hear the drone of generators all afternoon. Seriously, I think many LG owners bought our trailers to experience nature. A pure Boondocking event would be fun and somewhat challenging. Go for it Phulischat!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    csturcstur Member Posts: 26
    Where, when, sounds great! Scot and Carol
    Carol, Shingletown, CA, 2015 T@B M@xx-Q Silver/Black, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmmm - Other than some group site areas it seems all the others are first come first served (not reservable) and open in April - At least according to this chart...
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/coconino/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5305927&width=full
    What am I missing when you say they get booked early - Group sites?
  • Options
    phulishcatphulishcat Member Posts: 89
    I was asking the ranger station about camps with hookups. The person I spoke with may have assumed I was only looking for group sites, I will have to call back and get clarification. However I am liking the idea of boondocking in the woods.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Phuliscat -- Nice to meet you at Coyote Howls!  Well, in a perfect world I would like water for kayaking and roads to mountain bike on!!!!  Hookups are incidental to me.  But whatever you can put together is great and, believe me, the effort is appreciated by people who attend the gatherings.  I would not complain about the accommodations for a gathering that you have scouted out, planned, and advertised.  Thank you for taking this on.  I would like to attend, calendar permitting.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Hi phulishcat: I'm (depending on schedule) and really appreciate your scouting it out. I'm ok either way-hookups or not.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    First scouting trip is being worked on now it will most likely be late April early May. I will be just a weekend affair (head up sat head home sun). These scouting trips will happen with more than likely less than a weeks notice please don't feel obligated to come but if you want to stop out everyone is more than welcome just bring whatever your hear desires.
  • Options
  • Options
    It is still to cold up on the rim, 40s to 50s during the day 20s at night, this trip will most likely be in August or September. However OutbackAZ and I have been finding all kinds of cool spots. You can see reports of them on my blog: http://bbteardocking.blogspot.com/
    Next weekend we will be southwest of Sedona AZ. If your local feel free to message me an email address and ill send you the gps location and info.

• Options
    The Rim Trail weather station is reporting/forcasting 60s to low 70s days and mid/high 30s to mid 40s except for an occassional night. That doesn't sound too bad that's why I was wondering.
  • Options
    Depends on where on the rim you are looking and most reports come out of Payson which is warmer than on top of the rim. If however you feel like camping up there go for it,  however from my experience you don't play the guessing game up there. Unless your prepped for cold weather.
  • Options
    On a side note the Rim trail weather station is at

5794 ft

and the rim where we would be camping is at 7,513 ft

that's an elevation difference of 1,719 ft

or roughly 10-15 degrees, depending on cloud cover, wind, if there is still snow on the ground, permafrost thaw, and the like. If you want to know what temperatures are up on the rim, it's best to go with googleing the temp for at least two lakes. Woods canyon and Knoll lake. This will give you a better idea of the temps on top of the rim.

• Options
    Knoll lake weather for the week.
    Sun
    Sunny
    65°
    35°
    Mon
    Cloudy
    54°
    26°
    Tue
    Mostly Sunny
    55°
    29°
    Wed
    Partly Cloudy
    60°
    32°
    Thu
    Scattered Showers
    51°
    28°
    Fri
    Mostly Sunny
    58°
    32°
    Sat
    Scattered Showers
    62°
    35°
    Sun
    Scattered Showers
    65°
    36°

woods canyon
    Sun
    Sunny
    64°
    36°
    Mon
    Cloudy
    52°
    26°
    Tue
    Mostly Sunny
    54°
    28°
    Wed
    Partly Cloudy
    59°
    31°
    Thu
    Partly Cloudy
    53°
    28°
    Fri
    Partly Cloudy
    56°
    30°
    Sat
    Scattered Showers
    60°
    32°
    Sun
    Scattered Thunderstorms
    61°
    34°

• Options
    Ahhh - little cool at night. Seems cool everywhere, had a 27 one night in Lone Pine at roughly 4,000 ft. Alde has run some every night.