Options

High pitched sound while running Alde heater on electric

Is it normal to have a high-pitched sound while running the Alde on electricity only? We have a 2016 Q model, currently plugged into shore power inside our garage. The Alde sliders are set at '2' lightning bars, with the far right slider set to heat/hot water (even though we have drained the water from the lines and hot water boiler). The sound is somewhat intermittent, with occaisional momentary 'breaks'. (No regular pattern)  It only quits when I shut the boiler off by putting the far right slider (nearest the temperature control knob) to the off position, thus shutting the boiler off.  I can hear the noise from outside the camper also...I surely don't think I could stand to be inside it for very long while using the heat on electric mode only if this is normal! Surely there must be something going on/something not set correctly?
Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
2016 T@B Q ~ 
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It's not normal. I'd call the factory.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sounds like an electric converter issue possibly.  I would do as Jenn suggested and call Ed Kauffman at the factory since your unit is under warranty.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    Check your Glycol.  We had an awful high pitched sound coming from ours.  Checked the the glycol holding tank to find that one of the hoses had come undone and all of the fluid had leaked out.  Reattached the hose and filled with fluid and the noise went away.  Drove us crazy while we were trying to chase it down.
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the input...I will give them a call tomorrow.  
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
  • Options
    Keltdubh said:
    Check your Glycol.  We had an awful high pitched sound coming from ours.  Checked the the glycol holding tank to find that one of the hoses had come undone and all of the fluid had leaked out.  Reattached the hose and filled with fluid and the noise went away.  Drove us crazy while we were trying to chase it down.
    Is your Glycol fill point in the shower area?  
  • Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    Mine is a Q Model, so it's under the shelf in the back.
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    Okay, that's where mine is located.  I put a support just to the side of the Glycol tank, cut the shelf and created a small door over the Glycol tank and added a finger hole for ease of access.  No more unscrewing the shelf or messing with the shelf wood and it simplified things.  

Thanks for the earlier information as that is very helpful!  
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the advice/ideas.  Checked the glycol level...a-ok.  I did call Alde, and they were very helpful also. They advised that the only component on the Alde that could possibly cause a high-pitched sound would be the circulation pump.  He explained that there is a speed setting on the pump; little red dial with setting options from 1 thru 5, and that 'normal' is 2.  Sometimes the speed can get turned up to '5' at the factory for the purpose of bleeding the lines. I did check this also; it was at '2'. I rotated it up a bit and then back to 2ish.  The good news is we haven't had the high pitched sound at all today.  So, problem not officially solved, but gone for now.  Everything is nice and toasty inside!
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Cool - Hope it fixed itself.
    Even though it said two, maybe it was stuck at five and by screwing with it it reset.
  • Options
    Perhaps...or just needed some 'breaking in'...haven't really used the heat much yet...but are lov'n it!
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~