Options

Toiletry holders for the bathroom.

tabhappytabhappy Member Posts: 40
edited February 2016 in Products and Accessories
I found these boxes at The Container Store that have separate dividers to customize the compartments.  Most of these are my husbands cosmetics, all I need is some funk guard, toothbrush and a washrag!  The shelf holds the weight and they are velcroed to the wall.  Haven't tested it going down the road yet.....I hope everything will stay put!

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas
Became Tabbers Oct. 24, 2015

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I like the idea here. That is wasted space and utilizing it for storage seems like a great idea.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
          I really like this idea. Not familiar with "The Container Store" or how to locate it. Would like to do this upgrade.  Is there wood located behind the L brackets for stability?    Thanks for a great idea for this new T@B owner who is looking for new ideas for more storage space.  Jim from Michigan                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Looks great!

Yep, 'going down the road' will be the test. Screw those tops on tight!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I was expecting it to be the 8th inch wall board and was going to use washers and nuts but it turned out to be 1/2 inch wood so I could just screw it.
    By the way, we're new too, only have gone out one night.

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    Would Cargo nets help hold them in place?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I think they will stay there without a net.  I made the section with the floss, toothpaste and deodorant deeper since this pic was taken and replaced the lotion with a smaller one.  They all have dividers in between them so they won't slide side to side.  I'll report back if it's a total bust.  
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    If the Velcro doesn't hold them on the shelf, maybe you could put screws thru the bottom to hold it to the shelf along with the velcro.  The containers look deep enough that the items will not "jump" out if you hit a bump.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    The extra strength velcro really holds but may have to do that.
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    T@Bt2go: There is wood behind that area. Ig you search for build pics there is one that shows the T@B Max S from behind without the exterior on it. It is great for seeing where there is wood etc. If interested PM me and I'll try to find the pic.
    John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    A couple of questions:

1. Is wood the best choice as it will have increased exposure to moisture? 

2. Have you tested the head room when go from sitting to standing? Maybe this is a moot question since it is a curved part of the ceiling there, anyway.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, the wood may get changed to a piece of teak wood if it warps. I could have screwed the boxes directly to the wall but wanted to be able to take them out. I did drill holes under them for drainage.  I would rather use the parks showers anyway.  (Notice, there's no shampoo in the caddies?!)  My hubby would like to take the shower out all together but we're not...we'll probably have to climb in there to do it eventually.  The bathroom is for the 4:30 AM inconveniences and we'll save the #2's for elsewhere too!
    I don't bump into when sitting at all, it's only 3" deep.
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    That's cool. I was thinking that Ikea might have some perfect solutions for that space.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I used to have some things back there on hooks but found they got in the way. I had to sit somewhat bent over or my back/head would hit them.
  • Options
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    I don't recognize that space, @tabhappy?

• Options
    under the bathroom sink.

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    I'm not a very good contortionist so I moved the mirror to the other wall today too.  Prolly need to seal the hole before I find something to cover it.

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Very nice, Dena. We just moved to the DFW mid cities area and wonder where you plan to camp? We thought Grapevine Lake but it seems to be flooded all the time
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Thanks and welcome to Dallas!  You know, I've lived here all of my life and haven't camped anywhere in this immediate area.  We have always gone within 3 hours from here, hill country, Oklahoma or Arkansas.  The landscape is a lot more interesting everywhere else.  Although Bonham State Park is close to the Sulphur River where I like to hunt for fossils if you're into that.  I haven't been to that park since the tent camping days 20 yrs. ago though.  We've only used the T@B once and that was at an annual pickin-n-grinnin party close by!  The flooding around here recently is veeeeery unusual, we were in a major drought for many years before that......and don't think this 75 degree weather in February is normal either!  
    We're having too much fun playing with it in the driveway to go camping!  We watched a DVD in it Sat. night to see if the battery would go dead, that's all good.  Now I want Jim to install an inside D/C outlet for a coffee maker I still have to buy.  
    So yeah, we're still in the tweaking phase of camper ownership but it's getting close!  Hope to bump into ya down the road.    
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2016
    Joe Pool park looks pretty in the pictures. I wonder if that's an option. Back in Phoenix we had several places with electricity and water within an hour's drive from our home. That made for nice weekend camping after long work weeks, even if we left early Saturday morning just for the overnight.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Deana and Jim: QUESTION Did you use the same screws when you re located the mirror? DW would like me to do this my only concern is it is an outside wall and I have know idea if it is wood behind and how thick? Thanks John
    South Carolina
  • Options
    Yes, we used the same screws.  Just like they had it, a couple went into 1/2 inch plywood and the other two just into the wallboard which has a little bit of meat to grab. I was more afraid of hitting wires than going all the way through.  Just pucker up and go for it!  I wondered why they didn't put it on that wall in the first place and found out after I took the mirror off.  It covered a giant hole the A/C drain pan stuck into.  Smeared around the hole was some kinda sticky putty.  Maybe to seal it from shower water getting in the wall with the wires?  I smeared it back on the mirror, maybe it was to keep it from vibrating the screws loose,  don't know.        
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    edited March 2016
    :)
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    Deana approx Where was the plywood located? Iwan to at least get a couple of screws into it. Thanks John
    South Carolina
  • Options
    John, if you push on the wall board, under your mirror, it slightly gives where there is nothing behind it. That outside wall feels solid all the way around my mirror......I bet all of the exterior walls are completely solid. Just go for it and tell the wifey to start looking for a piece of art to go over the giant hole the mirror covered up. 
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    tabhappy said:
    John, if you push on the wall board, under your mirror, it slightly gives where there is nothing behind it. That outside wall feels solid all the way around my mirror......I bet all of the exterior walls are completely solid. Just go for it and tell the wifey to start looking for a piece of art to go over the giant hole the mirror covered up. 
    The outside walls are NOT solid. They have an interior 1/8" composite material, 1 1/8" white high density styrofoam, and then the fiberglass infused outside.  The walls only feel solid because all three materials are glued together.

There is very little actual wood in the T@Bs. The bottom plate around the bathroom (look under the drivers side bench), plywood to attach the kitchen cabinets, and a piece of plywood at the end of the wall next to the shower door (I am only familiar with the T@B S model).

As time goes on, there will be less and less wood, and more composite material (think of the deck wood that is made from recycled plastic water bottles and milk jugs). 

If you do a search on "attachments"  or "wall attachments", you'll find most owners choose to use Command strips and they choose not to make holes in their exterior walls. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, it's good to know they used over an inch of high density styrofoam behind the wallboard.  Not only is it light weight, it gripped the mirror screws nice and tight. I guess if they ever get loose I'll squirt some glue in the holes.   
       Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Verna - isn't the composite material attached to an aluminum wall frame?  If so, then maybe one could locate the vertical frame members and screw into them.  Not sure if anyone makes an aluminum "stud finder."
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I guess this is Little Guy..

Dena & Jim  Plano, Texas

• Options
    After talking to the Factory and what is posted here I would be a bit concerned that over time and  several mumps the screws may loosen and the mirror fall and smash. I love the idea of it on the side wall; perhaps some type of glue along with the screws would ensure it's permanabilty on the sidewall? John
    South Carolina