Options

The pump

im trying to figure out why the Alde has stopped heating. Converter fuses seem ok. Will check Alde fuses today. I am wondering about the circulating pump. I opened up the compartment with the Alde in it and turned on the heat. There was a low humming sound. It hat likely to be the pump? Or is there sonething else I. There that might do it?

Comments

• Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    Aha! Check glycol res...it was empty and one of the tubes leading to or from was disconnected! Now where does one get glycol? And how does one refill the system!
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I've never had to do it...but there are lots of threads here on the subject.  Search on "glycol"...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Alan, you should call LG about it. I don't think anyone on here has yet done it. We "chatted" about it here a few weeks ago.

Ed Kauffman would be the one. He can also tell you about what glycol to use. It should be the stuff for aluminum engines with the corrosion inhibitors, I think. Sierra is one.

Question is, where/why did it go? Why was the hose off, and is your Tab floor full of glycol now?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

Alan - Amazon sells Prestone LowTox for around $28.  I could not find the Sierra brand for the life of me when I was looking to top-off my reservoir.  Also, you will need to dilute the anti-freeze 50% with distilled water.  I'm guessing you simply add the 50/50 mixture to the reservoir to re-fill.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Ed Kaufman rocks and rules!! Thanks Mike et al for providing his name. Turns out the hose came loose because the reservoir nipple broke! There is a piece of the plastic in the hose. I don't see any glycol in the camper, but a little bit outside on the garage floor. Hmmm where did it go? Ed said this breakage has been a problem and that they really should have put an elbow there rather than bending the hose. Hopefully will get this fixed next week. 
  • Options
    Maybe you only lost the small amount that was in the reservoir, and perhaps got an 'air lock' in the pump, so it didn't pump all the remaining fluid out of the system. In which case you'd just need to add to it and bleed the system of air. Might explain the small amount on the floor.

I contacted Prestone customer support asking if their Low Tox would mix ok with Sierra (which Ed K. said the factory uses). They thought it would be fine.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Hey Alan buddy If nipple broke on reservoir what is the fix to re attach the hose.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm going to have to go out and look at mine. If it's a glued in nipple, maybe it can be reemed out and an elbow installed and glued in as a replacement.  Good luck Alan!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    My reservoir had a leak at the nipple. Was replaced under warranty.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Definitely under warrantee. Ed K is sending me a new reservoir and some fix for the problem. I'm headed to Johnson City next week to have the reservoir replaced and glycol filled...I hope. Unfortunately I'm not much of a fix-it guy. History tells me I break more than I fix.
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199

I had the same thing happen to my reservoir tank. here's a pic of what broke off, it leaked glycol down into the storage area. I called Ed, he sent out a replacement tank and some glycol. I had it in a few days, its a little awkward to install but got it in and everything is working fine.  

• Options
    I checked my tank and there wasn't an elbow underneath, but it felt different than your picture. Time to take a pict! brb.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info here folks. 

Gonna have to check this. 

I wonder if the stress on the tank fitting could be relieved by supporting the hose that hangs from it?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    The hose has a very sharp bend put in it against the floor. There is no room to move the tank up to relieve stress, the only way to solve this would be to put an elbow inline. I hope LG offers this as a fix, I don't want it to happen again.
  • Options
    I'd hate for that to happen. Glycol is messy stuff.

I guess we'll have to ask them what the fix is. They've been amazingly responsive to 'faulty design' problems.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sorry. I got distracted by something big red and shiny... when the temp hit 60F, she just begged to be ridden (2012 HD Softail Deluxe). 

The last photo shows the bend the best. It doesn't seem to be too stressed atm, but then 4.5 mag earthquake conditions of the road might cause trouble. Sorry for the slightly out of focus on the last one. Hand tremors are annoying.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Hmmm. I see.

The left one in your photo? It looks to be jammed against the 'flooring'.

What's Ed Kauffman suggest? He has an el that will fix it?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yes, I think that is the one that failed for Pop and Alan. I haven't contacted Ed Kauffman yet because I haven't had any catastrophic failure as of yet and sorta just found out about this when Alan posted. 
  • Options
    I see. Well it might be something to take care of when the system is drained to replace the glycol. Be 'pro-active' about it, or something.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya