Options

New Paha Que Dome

2»

Comments

• Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    Carolyn, please do if you can. I may still be interested. If you do take pictures could you take a few up close ones of how it attaches and how the frame goes together?
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2016
    That's too bad.  I was definitely interested in ordering it, but 65 lbs is way to heavy for me. 
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    UPDATE: This unit is made in China (don't recall if other PahaQue products are).  The net weight without any shipping materials is 60 lbs. (side wall probably another 2 lbs.).  The heaviest items are the steel poles.  They come in 3 main sections for the roof and 4 leg extensions for the sides.  One can easily pack them separately so as to make moving and handling the frame easier.  The fabric canopy is very lightweight.  The instructions say that at least two people are needed to assemble.  I'll give it a go myself this weekend, post some photos and report back to everyone.  There are steel cables within the roof poles to keep them together it appears (no shock cords like in the visors and awnings).  The instructions lead me to believe this should be a fairly easy assembly, but we'll see this weekend.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    I do agree the dome is a bit heavy, you also have to realize how large a space you get.  The original Paha Que 'easy up ' style screen room for the T@B was heavier than this dome and only 10'x10'.   Liz does assist me by holding/stabilizing the frame to keep it from hitting the T@B.  We then move the dome into place over the edge of our T@B.

OutbackAZ - I hope the instructions say to leave the lower leg sections off until after covering the upper frame sections with the canopy (unless you have a small step ladder).  Our 'beta test' model did not come with assembly instructions, I guess they anticipated my experience with the 'Coleman' dome would serve. 
    Once you get familiar with how this goes together it is very easy to set up and take down.  It takes us only about 15 to 20 min. to complete.

We only use this for our longer term camp outs, as we have a 'Therma Rest' awning for shorter camp outs.

Geo&Liz
    T@BMahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    :|Geo said:
    The picture is of our set-up.  We are 'beta' testers of this dome.  We love the large outdoor area it provides, with 3 side walls and the T@B as the 4th wall it gives us an enclosed space protected from the elements.  The dome shape seems to allow the wind to flow over easily (I use large stakes on outer 2 corner tie downs and tie the inner 2 corners to the T@B).  We have not been in the rain yet with this dome, but the heavy fabric does appear to be very water proof.  It is not difficult to set up and one person could manage, it takes me about 15 min. to set up.
    Our previous set-up used a 'Coleman Event Shade' dome that is very similar to this. The fabric was much lighter, it had a vent in the center of the roof, and I had to create pedestals to raise the dome to go over the edge of the T@B. It was not water proof with the center vent and the light fabric did not hold up to the elements for more that one year (4 outings).
    We are very impressed with this dome from Paha-Que.  The heavy fabric, the adjustable height leg poles and other small features that this has over the 'Coleman' dome.   
    We highly recommend this for any one wanting a large outdoor space.

Geo&Liz
    T@BMahal

Geo - Yes the instructions state to put the covering on before the adjustable legs.  Your prior post said 15 minutes for you alone while your current post mentions you and Liz at 15 to 20 minutes.  Please clarify so I don't feel like a total loser at 20 minutes into my assembly! :)
  • Options
    Geo - do you think it possible to assemble the canopy and back the T@B into it?  I have the Outback with more ground clearance (and height)?
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - The time it takes is variable depending on the wind and how familiar you are with the set-up.  I was only trying to give an idea of what to expect.  As with any of the various visors, awnings, and tent rooms the more times you have set it up the better you get at it.  We can all feel clumsy and goofy the first time we put anything together.  While I do feel that this can be set up by one person, it is easier with an extra set of hands.  Be aware of the wind, this is a large sail and can get away from you during set up and take down, extra hands come in real handy.
    I think it would be difficult to back into unless you are using this like a garage, and back totally under it.  I have not tried to use it to completely cover the trailer, be careful of the corners catching the arch of the opening.  We use it as our 'great room' beside the T@B.  We set it up within a foot or so of the trailer and walk it over the edge of the trailer for rain protection.

Geo&Liz
    T@BMahal

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options

Took out all the steel poles to set up the canopy and was stunned to find two sections that were improperly manufactured to the extent that assembly is impossible.  These were the first two sections I handled - there may be more problems with other sections.  If you purchased one of these, I strongly suggest you inspect the poles to insure they properly fit into one another.

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    I see that the Teardrop Shop updated the weight from 45 to 65 pounds.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    OutbackAZ - can you describe the defect you found in your poles. We still have not had weather that will allow us to set ours up for a test but I don't see a problem on inspection.  Also, I just want to reinforce what Geo said about the size. I bought my Coleman because of Geo and Liz and feel they are the resident experts on this set up. After seeing the wonderful space in their "great room" I was completely hooked. I for one am quite willing to put up with the weight to have that much room under roof. I plan to split the materials into two bags to make it easier to handle. I love the "peace of mind" that I have knowing that if there is a problem with any of the materials, PahaQue will stand firmly behind it. We have met Jeff and Mike and Jason at Tearstock over the years and have the utmost confidence in them and their product.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    The section with the "T" fitting was missing an indentation on a female end. So instead of having an arch, one end would rotate and point up. Not good.  The other defect was a tear in the metal (under the paint, so someone missed it at the factory) on a male end that precluded it being slipped into it's corresponding female sleeve. I strongly recommend you take the poles out and see if they go together.  No need to assemble the whole frame - I did my inspection in my living room.  BTW, Jessica at the TDS was very gracious when processing my return.
  • Options
    csturcstur Member Posts: 26
    Outback, So, now that you understand the dome and the defect with the one you ordered will you order another one??
    Carol, Shingletown, CA, 2015 T@B M@xx-Q Silver/Black, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Options
    No Carol, it was too heavy and bulky. Plus, it looked like a real pain for one person to set up. Also, I don't need a large covered living area.  I have the awning for that. My goal with the canopy was to park the Outback under it for added shade in the summer months. Say hi to Scott for me!
  • Options
    Thank you Carolyn for your endorsement.  Over the years we have had this set up as our 'great room', many T@Bbers have been enamored with the size and look of this dome.  I have been surprised that more have not used this style dome to maximize their outdoor space.   
    Hope your recent purchase of the Paha Que dome works well for you. . .

Geo&Liz
    T@BMahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options

Phulishcat - you beat me to this post!  Yes, this is a very clever design.  No kidding - 45 seconds to set up and take down.  Appears well made.  only 45 lbs. I believe.  Not big as the canopy, but has screened sides with rain flaps all around.  Well worth considering for those needing extra room.

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    While I own that pop-up screen room and think it is a wonderful product and does truly take seconds to set up, there is no where near the room under it as the dome has.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”