Options

New Paha Que Dome

I just received notice of the new Pa Que dome canopy and ordered one ($499). Measurements provided seem to indicate that my Outback will easily clear the eves.  Free sidewall too.  Teardrop Shop rep said the color is a very light ("whiteish") gray.  Made to order.  2 to 6 weeks delivery time.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This is ideal for you desert dwellers!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

That's what I'm hoping for Jenn.  Anything that keeps the sun off the trailer should help extend the camping season here in the Southwest.  I may be able to put the T@B under this canopy and still use the awning.  Then I'd Just need a camel and a harem to complete the project!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was swooning over the new dome too, but I'm already carrying a visor and a side tent. I even have an EZup from my old TD that I bring to gatherings in case the weather refuses to cooperate. Outback gets to give one of the first reviews here!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I was swooning over the new dome too, but I'm already carrying a visor and a side tent. I even have an EZup from my old TD that I bring to gatherings in case the weather refuses to cooperate. Outback gets to give one of the first reviews here!

I have been trying to decide if some type of tent, awning or shelter makes sense if I actually get to do some long term camping this summer. The side tent seems like the most obvious choice, but I have heard it is not easy to set up by yourself which means I know I would avoid setting it up. I have thought about a Coleman EZ Up shelter because they are not nearly as expensive and look pretty simple. Until then, the Visor has worked pretty well. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

Jenn - please consider the Paha Que awning.  I absolutely love mine.  VERY easy to set up.

• Options
    I find the side tent easy for me to set up by myself. Easier than the EZup. The caveat about the tent is that it has to be staked in the ground and pulled with lines forward. Not many places in the left side of the country where you can drive a stake and many state and national parks have tightly tamped down pads or asphalt. I did find some cool tent stakes with LED lights on them that run on a AAA battery (at REI). 

Hrmmm... now to check out the awning too. The VisorXL has been so convenient to set up by myself. The one long pole the VisorXL has with the multitude of sections and a thin bungie inside is just begging to break, however. Still love it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    csturcstur Member Posts: 26

We were drooling over the dome too. We like the idea of it, but wonder how it would do in the Arizona wind?? A wind gust snapped our visor pole while we were in Quartzsite. (PahaQue did honor their lifetime warranty and promptly repaired it for us.)

Carol, Shingletown, CA, 2015 T@B M@xx-Q Silver/Black, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Wind affects them all - in the 3 1/2 months I've been SW have had the Visor up three times. In Quartsite they came up overnight and every tent/canopy was down and bent up.
    Here's how I spell shade - trees - Even in the SW
  • Options
    Can't wait to report back on this canopy. I kinda feel like Neal Armstrong.  "One small step for Paha Que, on giant step for T@bkind."
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:

Jenn - please consider the Paha Que awning.  I absolutely love mine.  VERY easy to set up.

Yes, it has been on my mind.
    Ratkity said:
    I find the side tent easy for me to set up by myself. Easier than the EZup. The caveat about the tent is that it has to be staked in the ground and pulled with lines forward. Not many places in the left side of the country where you can drive a stake and many state and national parks have tightly tamped down pads or asphalt. I did find some cool tent stakes with LED lights on them that run on a AAA battery (at REI). 

Yes, still contemplating but they need to get the issues with the Outback worked out first.

Any word on whether the factory will start offering the Walker tents? I read that they said they were looking into them at Tearstock 2015.

• Options
    I think they have fixed the Outback issue (I have one) and my recently purchased awning fits perfectly.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    They had the prototype set up at Tearstock last year.  It is, well, vast.  Should have taken some photos of it.

I think it would be very nice for extended stays somewhere, but not sure how easy it is to put up, or if I would want to deal with it.  I think it would make for a much better outdoor space then the awning or visor currently do.  Looking forward to hearing about it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    OK then, it's settled. No one buys the new dome until I do a field test with our Arizona afternoon winds. You hear that Paha Que? Ship my dome ASAP!
  • Options
    Oh sorry, Jenn. Forgot you upgraded the axel. I know the dome is adjustable to 11.5', now know the awning works, but the verdict is still out on the tent. My sister won't spring for the tent because of some confusion on whether it's really been re-worked with correct adjustments (skirt and height).
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    The picture is of our set-up.  We are 'beta' testers of this dome.  We love the large outdoor area it provides, with 3 side walls and the T@B as the 4th wall it gives us an enclosed space protected from the elements.  The dome shape seems to allow the wind to flow over easily (I use large stakes on outer 2 corner tie downs and tie the inner 2 corners to the T@B).  We have not been in the rain yet with this dome, but the heavy fabric does appear to be very water proof.  It is not difficult to set up and one person could manage, it takes me about 15 min. to set up.
    Our previous set-up used a 'Coleman Event Shade' dome that is very similar to this. The fabric was much lighter, it had a vent in the center of the roof, and I had to create pedestals to raise the dome to go over the edge of the T@B. It was not water proof with the center vent and the light fabric did not hold up to the elements for more that one year (4 outings).
    We are very impressed with this dome from Paha-Que.  The heavy fabric, the adjustable height leg poles and other small features that this has over the 'Coleman' dome.   
    We highly recommend this for any one wanting a large outdoor space.

Geo&Liz
    T@BMahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    jgirlpajgirlpa Member Posts: 9
    Can you provide a link to this product?  I can't easily find it on the Paha Que site.  Thanks from a new T@B owner trying to figure out what we need!
  • Options
    The link was included in an email. I can't find it on the website either.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    cstur said:

...A wind gust snapped our visor pole while we were in Quartzsite. (PahaQue did honor their lifetime warranty and promptly repaired it for us.)

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We have an XL visor have not used it yet..first trip end of March.
    How long have the poles lasted with the bungee inside them? If the bungee breaks will PahaQue honor it or call it normal use? John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    A section of my pole split lengthwise my first time out.  Pahaque sent me a new section free of charge.  In the meantime, tape got me through the rest of the trip.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    I had a bungee break on my XL Visor. PahaQue gave me the option of sending my pole back, or having them just send out the shock cord.  I went with the shock cord to save time.  Was very easy to replace.  They do stand behind their products.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    We have an XL visor have not used it yet..first trip end of March.
    How long have the poles lasted with the bungee inside them? If the bungee breaks will PahaQue honor it or call it normal use? John
    I've had mine for two years with no issue and pretty decent amount of use.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Yikes! Just got my new canopy delivered.  Two boxes. One marked 66 lbs, the other 4 lbs. (70 lbs total). The teardrop shop website said this thing only weighs 45 lbs. I doubt there is 25 lbs of packing material here. May just send it back.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @OutbackAZ , let us know when you get it on a scale.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    No need for a scale. I can't move the big box by myself.  My UPS guy "Sven" had to use a handcart to get it from his truck to my front door. This thing is way too heavy for one person.  It's going back unopened to the Teardrop Shop. Why did they say it only weighs 45 lbs?

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'd open it and see for sure what's inside - Maybe they sent you two, you never know.
  • Options
    No Plxalted, the markings on the box say one unit. The second, smaller box must be the "free" side wall.  Very dissapointing.  I also noticed that the teardrop shop posted a notice saying this canopy is not "recommended" for one person set up (after my purchase BTW).  No kidding, this thing is way too heavy for one person.  It's definitely going back unopened.
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    Too bad, I was hopeful it wasn't going to be the hassle it looks like it can be.
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    We also, just received the new dome. I anticipated that the weight must be incorrect as we had the Coleman version and it weighed 50 # and this is supposed to be heavier material. I am impressed with the workmanship over the Coleman and am especially happy about PahaQue's warranty. It is heavy and definitely difficult for one person to move around but provides unequalled room and shelter. I have put the Coleman up by myself and am appreciative of the quality improvements in this new one. Now if the weather in the Midwest would just shape up, I would be thrilled to give a "hands on" report.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”