Options

How much battery will fit?

My 2005 T@B has what I think is a single group 24 battery in the front tongue box.
At some point I would like to add more battery to this location.
How much battery will fit in this box?
I've seen photos of 2x 6volt T105's in this location.  I am not worried about building frames and such, to give structural integrity.
Anybody care to give their 2 cents?
2005 T@B U model

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have seen people squeeze 2 T105's in there, too. I didn't want to have my batteries quite as exposed (no battery box) so I mounted mine in a box just ahead of the accessory box.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    I wonder if the weight would be too much to have 2 T105's in a battery box in front of the tongue box, and a group 24 (or 27) in the tongue box?
    @jkjenn, do you also have a battery in the tongue box as well?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited February 2016
    At one point, I installed two Group 27 AGM batteries in the tongue box.  It was a tight fit, but they both fit on the right hand side of the box with the propane still in place.  I have a DM 2006. I wouldn't recommend three batteries.  
  • Options
    EWizard said:
    I wonder if the weight would be too much to have 2 T105's in a battery box in front of the tongue box, and a group 24 (or 27) in the tongue box?
    @jkjenn, do you also have a battery in the tongue box as well?
    No, I put both batteries in a double battery box and removed the battery from the accessory box. I think the question of too much tongue weight would depend on your vehicle. I have had no issues with it and have now over 5,000 miles with this set up.

I will be slightly altering my solar set up and have since added a battery monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQAG9NupRYo

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    As I recall, the additional battery adds about 40 pounds to the tongue weight).  Depending on your TV, is not an issue.  (My original tow vehicle had trouble with the additional battery... once I switched, it wasn't an issue).  what is the tongue weight rating on your tow vehicle?  I originally was using a Forester to tow (150 lb tow weight) so was concerned (and suspension were struggling with weight).  Since I switched vehicles (350 lb and strong suspension), it is no longer an issue.
  • Options
    My original TV, IIRC, was around 350lb and my current TV is now about 650lb (off the top of my head.)

• Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    Right now, I'm wowing with my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna.  Not sure what the tongue weight limit is.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Looks like it is at least 500 pounds....
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have two 6-volt Interstate golf cart batteries, and a 20 lb propane tank, in the diamond plate replacement tub. I did have a welder do some welding to move the propane tank to the middle, with the batteries on the sides. He moved the tub approximately 1.5" away from the T@B, but it's really not noticeable. It added around 50 to 60 lbs to tge tongue weight, but my Tacoma can handle it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”