Options

Spare tire relocation?

EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
I have seen some cool photos of a spare tire mount that goes in front of the tongue box.  
Photo:  http://bp0.blogger.com/_rGJlK1MgsbY/R_mYVfaARjI/AAAAAAAABzY/hE9tfNaYwYo/s1600/DSCN0127.jpg
Can anyone tell me where I can buy one of these?
Does anyone know if this seller is still manufacturing these mounts?

I have seen this contact info:
Tropos Manufacturing LLC
phone: (208) 948-9259
email: kaiser53georgia@hotmail.com

Is this someone on this site, or on the Yahoo group?
2005 T@B U model

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Try a search using the word "spare". There are a number of threads about how owners have relocated their spare tires. The search box is in the upper right corner of this page. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    Yep, I ordered one, and it wouldn't fit between my tongue jack post and the box.
    It was designed for the earlier Tab.
    Had to return it. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    EWizard said:
    I have seen some cool photos of a spare tire mount that goes in front of the tongue box.  
    Photo:  http://bp0.blogger.com/_rGJlK1MgsbY/R_mYVfaARjI/AAAAAAAABzY/hE9tfNaYwYo/s1600/DSCN0127.jpg
    Can anyone tell me where I can buy one of these?
    Does anyone know if this seller is still manufacturing these mounts?

I have seen this contact info:
    Tropos Manufacturing LLC
    phone: (208) 948-9259
    email: kaiser53georgia@hotmail.com

Is this someone on this site, or on the Yahoo group?
    I had called Jason a couple of weeks ago and he replied that he had stopped making them.

I've been looking for one comparable as well. Have others found something similar to this one? I currently have the standard side mount/boat trailer type of mount but don't like how it's sits to the side.
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    I just got an email back from Jason as well.  Bummer.
    The mount looked pretty elegant. 

2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As Verna mentioned above, do a search, several threads with various solutions. Moving my spare was one of the first things I did. Bought my mount at a marine/boating store.
  • Options
    Just make sure the verticle space between the bolts is big enough - The first one I bought was just a little shy.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Just make sure the verticle space between the bolts is big enough - The first one I bought was just a little shy.
    Yeah I have a similar one that I also got from Amazon but it was for boat trailers that have heavier frames (thicker tongue front beams) and I had to modify the mount with exhaust pipe clamps which the company kindly provided and then buy new bolts from HD.

Definitely not as elegant as the front facing mount that secured to both beams that form the tongue. 
  • Options
    I like the alternative to this that someone came up with, which clamps to the tongue jack tube, with the tire resting on the A frame.
    I'm not sure if there's even enough room for that one though, on our newer tab (with surge brakes). 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I thought my 2005 had surge brakes?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I store my spare tire under the rear settee bench.  This keeps the weight behind the axle and the tongue weight (250 lbs target) is then easier to control with proper loading of the rest of the trailer.  Although the spare takes up some space, I don't find that I need if for anything else at all.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ewizard, a lot of what you read here does not apply to a 2005 T@B that was manufactured by a different company. Yes, you have surge brakes on a 2005, and you probably won't have room for the spare tire mount on the tongue jack tube. If you mention you have a 2005, or compose a signature line with a description of your T@B, we can get you more appropriate information for your model. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Good point @Verna.  Will do.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I like the alternative to this that someone came up with, which clamps to the tongue jack tube, with the tire resting on the A frame.
    I'm not sure if there's even enough room for that one though, on our newer tab (with surge brakes). 
      Is that laying flat on the tongue? Do you have a picture?
  • Options
    It sits upright attached vertically to the jack - bottom of tire rests on the frame.
    Search for "spare tire" in the search box (upper right) and you'll find several threads with various methods.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    ChanW said:
    It will work on a LG with surge brakes.  I did that setup last year, until getting a diamond plate tongue box made it so there was not enough room (but I love the tongue box!).

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Good to know Cyclonic, thanks.

Did you simply rest the tire on the a-frame, or did you devise a cradle of some kind?
    Cyclonic said:
    ChanW said:
    It will work on a LG with surge brakes.  I did that setup last year, until getting a diamond plate tongue box made it so there was not enough room (but I love the tongue box!).

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PXLated said:
    It sits upright attached vertically to the jack - bottom of tire rests on the frame.
    Search for "spare tire" in the search box (upper right) and you'll find several threads with various methods.
    Ok, I see what you mean. That won't work on a Dutchman (original style Tabbert) T@B since the ALKO tongue jack stand has to be able to slide down before being jacked.
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2016
    I just mounted my spare tire but it is only six inches from the ground!
  • Options
    Ramrod - You need to resize your images to an 800 pixel width - That took forever to load.
    My tire sits at 8" - I did it a long time ago but remember I had to play with which holes I lined it up with. Here's a pic of what it looks like - Sorry about the quality but it's getting dark...

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I will try that. Thank you and sorry about the picture size.
  • Options

ChanW said:
    Good to know Cyclonic, thanks.

Did you simply rest the tire on the a-frame, or did you devise a cradle of some kind?

I sat it right on the a-frame.  I held it on with a couple of tie down straps, and it didn't budge on the way to Tearstock last summer.  I think the next big trip it will have to go back on the roof of the TV.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    EWizard said:
    I thought my 2005 had surge brakes?
    There are basically three different frame types out there. 

Nearly all of the Dutchman T@B's, except for the very late models, have the European ALKO frame.  This one surge brakes, the parking brake, and the wheel on the tongue stays on.

Early Pleasant Valley T@B's have a BAL frame with surge brakes (this is what my 2012 has).

Pleasant Valley then switched to a BAL frame with electric brakes, sometime in 2013 I think.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Has anyone explored doing this mod with the spare tire?

The tire is mounted with two thick aluminum plates, one on the outside and one on the interior. There are 3 long stainless bolts. He took the spare tire mount off the undercarriage and bolted all of that together through the trailer. The gas cans are on with bungee cables. 

It looks like you could mount inside the center storage compartment.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    I also used the mount from underneath in a similar way on the side of the tongue box.

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I wondered if people were reusing the part other ways
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited March 2017
    In this picture you can see the plywood stiffener on the inside of the box. 

Something similar could probably be done with the new style diamond plate box.  If there is room directly in front of it, the tire could rest on the frame for added stability and take a lot of stress off the box wall.   Just brainstorming from afar............