Options

TV or No TV? Do you really need it in the CS Galley?

NnbriccoNnbricco Member Posts: 16
edited October 2014 in Products and Accessories
When I am camping, I really don't like watching TV. At least I don't think I do, considering I have never really had one with me when I have camped before. We are looking forward to having one in the CS for rainy nights and napping. But out of curiosity, does anyone really use their TV in the galley area? I would think it would be a distraction. I am interested in your thoughts.
Eric & Nichola Greenville, SC Jeep Compass, expecting T@b.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It could be nice if you tailgate or wanted to watch something special but be outside.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm normally in some remote spots when I am out on the road and have no reception.  But I do enjoy an occasional DVD inside the sleeping quarters after a long day and just to kick back and relax.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    I think people who watch/listen to things outdoors in a campground don't realize how far the sound travels. I was recently kept awake until about 3 am by a radio playing quietly at a nearby campsite.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We love our TV in the Clamshell. Most often, The opportunity to get away comes at the end of long Sunday, so we do not have much time for a hike or outdoor activity when we get to a campsite. We cook outside, kick back and watch a classic or something we have wanted to see. 
    You could remove your TV and then "no worries". 
    If you do not have your T@B, yet. Then you may want to reserve your judgment til you actually experience it. 
    We recently traveled 5064 miles and did not turn it on once. 
    Everyone has a different camping style. 
    Yours will be unique to you and your lifestyle. 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    NnbriccoNnbricco Member Posts: 16
    Thank you for the suggestions. We thought that we might could remove it and save it for a spare.
    Eric & Nichola Greenville, SC Jeep Compass, expecting T@b.
  • Options
    rverginiarverginia Member Posts: 21
    I would get it for the simple fact that the Jensen is an upgraded model than what is available in the other floor plans. The 975 vs. the 965 has more power and additional inputs, as well as an iPod option. Oh, and a headphone jack for the quiet times.
    The 975 will not fit in the other models. Sadly, I tried and it is 2.5 inches too deep for the upper cabinets.
    Settled for a speaker upgrade.
    Bob and Pam, Martha Lake, Washington 2015 T@B Q M@xx PorT@Bella, Mercedes GLK-350, Shitake the Kayak, and our bikes - Chan and trelle.
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Love mine! It doesn't take up much space. No one said you have to turn it on while camping.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I was thinking the same thing about the television in the clamshell.  I am more likely to use the audio than the TV, but it's possible that I may want to entertain with photos or a video at some point.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Night time movie outside with the stars! Like being at a drive-in!
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    I ordered mine without the TV in the back, it really gives you more space and access. They told me I couldn't really have the speakers removed, so they are still there but don't get in the way. My only ordering regret is not getting the outside hatches to be able to get to the bench storage from the outside. That would have made that storage space so much more usable. But all in all, LOVE my T@B.
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    MontalaskanMontalaskan Member Posts: 27
    The only time I can imagine using it is when we tailgate. Camping is pretty much a minimal-electronics time. 
  • Options
    DJKyleDJKyle Member Posts: 1
    We traded the outside tv for an outside shower so we could wash off the dog and are really glad that we did.  Having the extra cupboard access from  the kitchen is way more useful and we have found ourselves using the outside shower for several quick rinse off projects.
  • Options
    MontalaskanMontalaskan Member Posts: 27
    Outside shower is one of the reasons we almost built custom but having the Tab sooner was higher priority. I think I will likely take out the TVs at some point. Can always put them back. 
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    )Our 2015 T@B M@x CS came (off the lot) with both the galley TV and the outside shower. We haven't used either yet, but see the possibility of using both since we anticipate group camping with dogs.  I thought they all came that way.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Wallow - I ordered mine with no media (radio/TV). Had them leave the antenna and cable connections though. They're in the cabinet where the radio would normally be.
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    @PXLated - how much space do the wires take up in the cabinet? are there just a couple of wires you can secure out of the way or do the connections take up a bit of the cabinet?
  • Options
    BBchBum - You could trim the wires but the stuff that takes up the most room are the AC and 12v outlet boxes for the under cabinet outlets on that left side - So you don't gain that much space, only about half. I use it as my junk drawer.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2015
    While I like the idea of having the outside TV permanently mounted, for me the kitchen is not the place for it. We have a Dutchman Clamshell, and for longer trips, or trips where we know we want to watch a sporting event we bring a 19" Flatscreen TV and set it on a small table under the doorside window. Back in the kitchen isn't where we set up chairs and stuff.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We actually ordered our T@Bby S-Maxx without a TV/ entertainment system and we love the extra storage room we gained - every bit helps! We also negotiated the price down. As for an occasional movie while camping... that's what the iPAD and Kindle HDX are for, both go with us anyhow.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Ordered mine w/o the TV in the galley.  Kept the one inside though.  If there is electricity, I like to watch DVD's before going to sleep.  Have a antenna panel, but half the time I am too far from civilization to pick up over the air stations.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Allie - Same here, too far away. When they switched to digital it really cut down the reception. Digital is line of sight and shorter distances. I don't even try anymore.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I agree on the switch to digital and the negative impact to remote locations - ugh
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    D&JD&J Member Posts: 6
    gilbutler said:
    )Our 2015 T@B M@x CS came (off the lot) with both the galley TV and the outside shower. We haven't used either yet, but see the possibility of using both since we anticipate group camping with dogs.  I thought they all came that way.
    Ours did, too. We still crack up at two TVs for camping (quite different from backpacking :). We've only been out one one shakedown trip, but did enjoy watching a movie inside. Now give me a sat hookup and baseball and I'm all over it!

The outside shower will be really helpful for the dog.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I always figured the galley TV was for tailgating. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ironshadowironshadow Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2015
    I am such a gadjet guy. I loved it the first time I saw it! Will I use it? Likely not much. It is just part of the "wow factor" like everything else LG does:)
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    If you remove the galley TV you can order a replacement cabinet door to match the other cabinet doors. Call Elsie at the factory 330-852-4811. They run about $40 and come with hardware installed. We haven't done it but are considering it. 

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I ordered no media on my MaxxS and the factory added a door to the cupboard where it would normally be. Remember -The factory is closed all this week for the Fourth
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We odered no media too on our 2014 S-Maxx, and got an extra cupboard instead (and more room in the back where speakers would have been installed). Love extra storage, do not miss TV a single bit! 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    We're not sure if we need the tv in the galley yet. On one of our short trips to a campground with hookups we actually got a little morning local news/weather with our coffee. So the verdict is still out. Were planning a longer trip with some dry camping, which is mostly our style so we'll decide then if we'd rather have the extra cabinet in galley. Right now we just use that cabinet for stuff we need when inside the tabin. Also haven't tried watching it at home in the yard. LOL that might be fun. Maybe world cup tomorrow.
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We enjoy an outside TV, but not in the Galley. We bring along a flat screen 19" TV and put it on a small table next to the door.

What I think would be a more ideal mounting situation is on the wall on the passenger side, and then a swing arm of some sort where the TV could be turned to watch through the window from the outside.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL