Options

Heads-up on the Yakahma Rack

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
Last fall I removed the Yakahma rack basket from the roof of our Outback. As I removed it a significant amount of water  came out of the frame at it's joints. Stored it for winter and took a little better look at it today. Even more rusty water came out. The joints are in a direction that will collect water when on the roof. So I would advise that you check yours  for water too. I have to wait for insides to dry out before caulking the joints.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Can you post some photos of where the water has accumulated?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I put my Yakima rack on myself. I know the curved rails are water-tight and have stainless screws in them. The basket with spare tire acted sorta like a dam for snow this past winter. I just brushed it off so it wouldn't collect and melt there. The basket should have caps at the ends that keep out water, but that's no guarantee. I'm thinking the water may have gotten in through one of the screw holes that hold onto both halves of the basket (it's size is adjustable). If that screw is rusting, I'd replace all of them on the basket. I'll take a look at mine too.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Water poured out of this joint on side that joint points up.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Thanks for posting the photo.  I'm sure we'll all be checking our racks for water.  Please post any solution you may devise.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I pulled mine and got a few drips of water out. Wondering why mine was different, I noticed a bit of dried grease in the joint, so I regreased the joint before I put it back together. Maybe that grease will make a seal (and won't overheat in the sun and drip out...) Supposedly mine was the first out of the factory with the rack, which means it's had more time to accumulate water (but didn't, much), and maybe after my prototype they decided not to grease the joint.

I don't like the idea of weep holes, since they'd likely drip rusty water onto the trailer, leaving stains. Since pulling that rack isn't too great an effort, I'll probably just do it a couple of times a year just to check on it. Better put it on my calendar now or I'll forget...
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    I have noticed on several Outbacks that the basket is oriented with the wind faring with Yakima on it facing towards the rear. I wonder if Yakima designed those joints so it is faced only one way, forward. I realize it may look better the other way but if the joints slip over the other piece from the front then the fairing should probably be faced forward or up, in the case of the t@b.

I don't have a t@b or own a rack, just a thought.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I thought about that (direction of joints) until I went out and looked. The joints are facing opposite directions from side to side - "rain receiver" end pointing forward on one side; back on the other. In any case, I flipped my rack when I remounted it, because I wanted the faring facing forward, and I also wanted to switch position of the tire mount as well. Shouldn't have any impact on the water issue, but it seems the faring should be facing forward. Don't have a wind tunnel to test that theory. :-)
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    We'll it was a thought...lol.
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    My 2017 Outback rack was rusted through, becuse of this problem. The dealer replaced it.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    My 2017 Outback rack was rusted through, becuse of this problem. The dealer replaced it.
     :o 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback