Options

Converter Woes - Solved!!

RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
Went to check the battery and start loading for tomorrow and no AC to anything. There is power thru the shore power cord, there is power going into and out of my progressive surge protector (by-passed and not by-passed), there is power to all breakers (took front of converter off). There is no power to the 12V side and AC 110V outlets aren't working. All fuses look good. I did a search on converter problems and couldn't quite find what I thought I had read about resetting the converter. If I take out a fuse and arc it, the converter fan comes on. What am I missing? 
2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Blown battery fuse?  Just grasping here.....yes I know it won't have a thing to do with the 110V side. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Everything is running off battery. So that system is fine. No 110V AC going to converter to charge battery or power anything inside. All breakers are in up position. Power is registering in connect box.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Bobbo, did that multiple times. I can have the battery connected and the 12V system side work. The AC 110V side isn't supplying power to the camper.
  • Options
    Ratkity, I'm dry camping now, using my solar panels, so I can't duplicate your situation. 

The only thing I can think of is to change your extension cord completely. Remove whatever you are using and start fresh. That would be the typical way to start with trouble shooting. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    You say you verified that you have 110V at each breaker, I assume by putting one lead of your multimeter on the neutral bar, and the other on the wire screw at the bottom of each of the four breakers? The leads off of those screws (except for the far left) are (I THINK) the wire going to the outlets (one to the Alde), so if you've got 110V there, I can't see how the outlets aren't working. I'll try to trace those wires tomorrow to verify my thoughts. 

I would have expected no 110V on any of the breaker screws - implying an open circuit between the surge protector and the main breaker - or power only on the left-most breaker screw, which I THINK is hot line in, and no power on the others, implying a bad main breaker, or bad bus.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Solution after 8 hours troubleshooting AC vs DC and not having any fun at all........ Looking at all the sites and forums about converters, inverters, etc... one voice simply said "connections, you have a loose connection somewhere". I swore up and down I checked the neutral block. Well, didn't check some very loose grounds touching neutrals. I was getting reversed-polarity when I would do a plug check. All grounds and neutral blocks are now tight. No more problems! So um, when did this start? One of the loose wires were scorched at the connection. I haven't moved da T@B! Gremlins... geesh. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Good tip Ratkity, thanks! Will have to keep that in mind...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Great!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Think of what you saved by using those 8 hours effectively!  I would have taken it in due to lack of patience for a tech to look at the thing.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The moral of the story then is...You're screwed unless your screws are tight.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    The moral of the story then is...You're screwed unless your screws are tight.
    Oh Noes!! Ma has said I've had a screw loose for ages. I told her it was hereditary. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Bet mom appreciated that :-)