Options

Where Do You Store Your Batteries?

I have a 2008 T@B Dutchman and I want to install 2 6V Batteries, however, I don't have room to put a big battery box on the tongue of the trailer. I have seen where someone put a set inside the propane storage area (where 12v battery currently is located), but would rather not.  Have any of you configured your batteries inside the camper within storage area?

Thanks,
Gary
2008 T@B Dutchman, 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, Grand Junction, CO.
"We Are T@Bulous!"

Comments

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2016
    I'm considering the same thing. Why would you rather not place them both in the front "tub"? That's where I was planning to do it anyway. Are you looking at the Trojan T105 batts? Duracell offers a less expensive choice.  https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115  I'm still in the planning phase too.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yes, a couple -that I know of - have installed AGMs internally under the left & right side benches. If you search for "internal batteries" or "AGM", etc. you should be able to find it. You might also be able to find it by looking thru the Electrical category on the right.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2016
    I'm one of those that installed in wheel well on either side (I have two batteries - both AGM).  Before this, I had the batteries configured in the propane box as well.  For weight issues on a previous TV, I elected to move them from the propane area to the inside wheel well.  If you put them in the inside, don't use Trojan T105.  Not a great idea to put flooded batteries on the inside (gasing can cause real problems.  If you want to move the batteries inside the camper, I would highly recommend AgM or Jel -- sealed systems.  I have 2 AGM batteries that have 200 amp hour capacity and could have gone higher than that if I felt it necessary to have grater storage capacity.  No longer limited to group 24 or group 27 so larger capacity in 12 v batteries are possible. Since weight is over the axles, no significant weight impact from upzizing if your want more.  I think I have posted pictures of my setup here somewhere.  
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    > I have 2 AGM batteries that have 200 volt capacity...

200 volt or did you mean 200 amp hour?
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Joe said:
    > I have 2 AGM batteries that have 200 volt capacity...

200 volt or did you mean 200 amp hour?
    I changed it for Mash. In his hurry to help you he got ahead of himself ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    mash2 said:
    Thanks.... Verna
    Corrected the spelling of my name ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    tabuloustabulous Member Posts: 13
    Thanks to everyone for replying. I think that I'm going to stick to placing 2 Trojan T105's on the tongue. I found great prices ($149.99 ea.) at www.usabatterysales.com and got FREE shipping.  I also got a great Dual 6 volt Battery Box where the batteries are placed end-to-end from All Battery Sales for $64.  I checked out the Noco Dual 6v Battery Box, but could not fit between propane storage and the wheel jack. 
    "We Are T@Bulous!"

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    So, the 2 T105s will fit with the 20 # propane tank in the existing tongue box with the new battery box?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabuloustabulous Member Posts: 13
    No way.  I'm mounting the new battery box by bolting it down across the tongue from just forward of the propane box.
    "We Are T@Bulous!"

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2016
    I just use 1 AGM inside under bench seat for the little bit of boondocking I find that it along with propane running fridge and portable Solar panel to keep the battery full.
    Item to left is on board mini Genesis battery charger. I use that when unit is being stored.I also did this to lighten load on tongue so I can also carry my Honda when needed.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S