Options

Gulp I think I'm going to do it

Turtle_DTurtle_D Member Posts: 7
Hello every body! I love to go camping but trying to with a tent and two dogs by myself is more frustrating than enjoyable. I've heard about the TAB trailers for years and thought maybe someday.  Then I was able to see one a few weeks ago and I'm in love,  but was hesitant and nervous about moving forward.  The posts here are so helpful and making me more comfortable with a purchase.  Living in WI and the unpredictable weather (we are getting 9 to 12" of snow tonight) makes the S with inside kitchen seem more practical for an extended season. Do fellow Midwesterners have any input? Then I also need a vehicle since although these are light, I'm pretty sure my manual 4 cylinder Ford Fusion can't pull it. 

Thanks for all the good info! 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I "was" a neighbor (MN), bought a T@B - Been on the road for a steady 18-19 months - Haven't had a day where I've regretted buying the T@B - Have the "S" so total flexibility (cook inside or out depending on the weather. No bathrooms/showers boondocking, no problem).
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Welcome! I  love the T@b S because I can camp and enjoy a cooked meal no matter the weather or how late. I camped over New Year's weekend this year in Ohio and was snug as a bug in a rug.

RE: tow vehicle. Try to find a vehicle with a factory tow package, it will make things a little easier. I like Jeeps. My first TV was a Wrangler Unlimited and my current vehicle is a GRand Cherokee Overland.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yep, as Jenn says - Find the right TV with the factory tow package. She was having troubles with hers with ad-on tow while I wasn't with my factory package.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Welcome..   We just got our T@B this week..  Living the good life in Appleton,  perhaps down the road from you.. Your Fusion won't do it.   You will have to check the towing abilities of the vehicles you look at... Yes,  Snow is coming tonight for sure.   You will have bunches of questions..  Many answers for some on this site already.   Many good folk here to answer the others... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Hi there and welcome! We're in Georgia and love our S model - it is great both when we have to stay inside due to cold weather, or due to heat and humidity during the summer. We camp whole year, except 2-3 winter months when there is a risk of frozen precip. Re: tow vehicle: definity best to get one with a factory tow package and a good comfortable towing capacity rating. We are very happy with our Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo as TV. 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    Yep, as Jenn says - Find the right TV with the factory tow package. She was having troubles with hers with ad-on tow while I wasn't with my factory package.
    Different years, different alternators.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We are in Rockford, IL perhaps not that far from you.  We too love our 07 t@b and enjoy having the inside stove for when things get nasty outside.  We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the JGC scarcely knows it is behind.  It has the factory tow package.  The tow package has more than just a hitch and wiring.  Ours has automatic rear suspension leveling, prewired for electric brake controller (controller is extra) larger cooling system and so forth.  Good luck!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2016
    Another midwesterner here--Iowa, but we get up to Neenah at least once a year to visit family.
    I loved the idea of a clamshell kitchen but I'm glad my spouse lobbied for the indoor kitchen. We still do most cooking outdoors but it's great when we need it. (An indoor fridge is nice, too.) But more than that, I'd have trouble adjusting to the smaller bed/interior with the clamshell. But there are plenty of people who wouldn't give up their outdoor kitchens--I've heard it said that we're either innies our outties and that's that! And the bath sure is nice at 3AM.
    We didn't want a huge vehicle and a Subaru Outback 3.6 does great for us.
    You are going to have a blast!
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Southern IL here, but our T@B makes trips to Green Bay!  We're always warm and snug.  I camp at least monthly all winter and really need very little heat to keep it warm.  I have the indoor kitchen but not the wet bath. I use a Luggable Loo instead. 

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Packer fan here...  I love your T@B !
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
  • Options
    Well I  did it today and put my deposit down. After spending an hour and a half in both the  CSS and S, I surprised myself and went with the CSS but custom with dresser and sink in front. I get more storage and if desire to cook inside can set up toaster oven or hot plate on wide shelf area. 

I go from periods of elation to moments of shear panic wondering if I made a good decision with layout and purchase. Guess I have to take a deep breath and think about all the places I'm going this summer once my turtle shell gets here June.  Now to find new vehicle...nothing like putting the cart before the horse. Lol

Thanks everyone for input. And I am just down the road in Menasha.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I know the feeling.  :)  No regrets here... Deep breath!  What colors did you go for? 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Silver and  black.  Figured is s classic combo and matches with everything which is good since don't know what come vehicle I'll  end up with. Plus I can add any color pattern to inside to make it pop. 
  • Options
    That's a great combo. As you say, easy to match to other things.  Don't overthink your feature choices. You will be sleeping somewhere safe and warm (and cool in the summer) and will able to to cook anywhere you find yourself. The rest is gravy. Start your countdown calendar!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Congrats! Very exciting. We've been waiting 6mos and our dealer is expecting ours this week. It's a long wait but much to learn in the meantime. Keep reading the forum. 
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Turtle_D said:
    Well I  did it today and put my deposit down. After spending an hour and a half in both the  CSS and S, I surprised myself and went with the CSS but custom with dresser and sink in front. I get more storage and if desire to cook inside can set up toaster oven or hot plate on wide shelf area. 

I go from periods of elation to moments of shear panic wondering if I made a good decision with layout and purchase. Guess I have to take a deep breath and think about all the places I'm going this summer once my turtle shell gets here June.  Now to find new vehicle...nothing like putting the cart before the horse. Lol

Thanks everyone for input. And I am just down the road in Menasha.
    Turtle D - I ordered the same modification. Mine should be in soon and am so excited! Have an 8-hour drive to pick it up. I'll post pics for you if I get mine before you do!
    Amanda
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    Congratulations Amanda! I actually had a panic attack the night after I ordered the custom clamshell and changed back to an S model.  Part of me is going to miss the extra storage but feel safer going in boonies alone being self contained inside and not having to deal with mosquitos outside. 

Can't wait to see your pictures when it arrives! 

Christina
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Turtle_D said:
    Congratulations Amanda! I actually had a panic attack the night after I ordered the custom clamshell and changed back to an S model.  Part of me is going to miss the extra storage but feel safer going in boonies alone being self contained inside and not having to deal with mosquitos outside. 

Can't wait to see your pictures when it arrives! 

Christina
    Haha - I understand! I'm also a solo traveler and hope to do some "boonies" stuff. Folks on this forum pretty much agree that S or CS, they LOVE their T@Bs so we've joined a good group. This gal is a solo camper full-time (although not in a T@B) and this blog was about solo boondocking safety. You may enjoy it http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2016/03/29/boondocking-safety/ 

Very exciting! Now the wait
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    Thanks for the info Amanda.  I can't wait for it to arrive especially since it was snowing again tonight. 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I have had an S model for 3 years (2014).  I love my decision.  There have been numerous times that cooking outside would not have worked because of the weather -- mainly high winds -- and I am SOOOO glad that I have the option to cook inside.  You can cook outside with a little grill most of the time.  I totally love my T@B and FYI, it tows really well in high winds.  What a great camper, and you will love yours for years to come.  Safe travels and have fun!!!
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    good choice on changing to S......just got mine last august ..... the storms come and i am tucked inside my fully contained haven with a good book, drinking hot tea....til the storm passes.....bliss!
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    I live in Minn, but camp a lot in Wis, and camped in late Oct, Nov and in blowing snow in Feb with my T@b S. All solo trips, and so glad I could be indoors for cooking, etc. Also vaccilated between S and CS-S. This was the best choice for me and sounds like for you!
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    Yep - Had lots of wind and some rain - sittin toasty and cookin inside - Last spring had three weeks of rain. This spring two weeks of extreme wind so far.
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    On our 2.5 week shakedown trip we had rain/snow every single day. Happy we ended up with the Q and didn't really miss having an onboard toilet/shower. Will see if I change my mind when boondocking later this summer.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    So excited, it's a month late but supposed to be here this week....just in time for my camping trip this weekend!  Crossing my fingers it actually arrives or I'll be back in my tent with 3 dogs and hopefully no snow again. 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you turtle_d. :)