Options

Spring Camping

WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
edited March 2014 in Camping & Travel
Wow, I just went to the Colorado State Parks website to book my chosen spot for Easter weekend -- guess what? It was booked, as well as the several surrounding spots!!! W-H-A-T's up with that? I know camping in Colorado at state parks is prime-time if you want an electrical site, but good grief, I had no idea. Anyway, I got the last pull-through site on the outer loop near the lake that has an electric and water hookup. :((

Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)

Comments

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I have to book months out to get my favorite on the water campsite at Pomme de Terre Lake in MO. It's also everybody else's favorite too which is why. It's worth the wait though. Actually I have favorite campsites in several of fed and state parks in MO and AR, so if one is booked, I have lots to choose from all within an hour to 2 hours drive. I keep track of them in T@b's camping journal.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    It used to be that camping was considered a "poor person's vacation." 'Tis not true anymore!! Tent campers have fancy tents and load up their SUVs with gear and expensive mountain bikes. Golly, gee. So I got smart and booked up a different camping spot every two weeks through August. I didn't even get the best spots. One place I checked out for late June only had ONE spot left on the reservoir -- under a power line and right by the highway. I don't want that!!! I have a hard time believing people think that is "camping." @-)
  • Options
    Jbug -- I like your idea of a T@B camping journal. I have a folder I keep at home stuffed with notes on good camping sites, but I like the idea of an actual journal even better. That way I can record what the weather/temperature was, what outerwear I did or did not need, etc. I like that idea. =D>
  • Options
    A friend of mine said to start a journal of every campsite before T@b even arrived, so I picked one up at a bookstore. I also include what I did and the adventures I had. I print off a pic or two using a color printer and paste them in. It's fun to have those memories recorded. I keep it in T@b, but brought it home to read longingly several times this long, long, long, crappy winter. But spring is almost here and only three weeks to my first camping trip!!! YEA! I also include one or two best campsite #s that I scouted out while I was there, so I know which ones to reserve for next trip. Yea Wanderloo, power lines and traffic noises are not good camping buddies. Colorado is a great destination; no wonder the campgrounds are booked. Good idea to get those nailed down early!
  • Options
    Cool, sort of like a T@B scrapbook!!!!! I LOVE this idea. :x
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    "A T@B Scrapbook" would be a fun activity to share at our rallies.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    I'm going to start mine this weekend!!!! I've only done one other scrapbook project, but I had fun with it. Good project for a cold Saturday night. :>
  • Options
    oh, and in the back I record how many miles I traveled. Somewhere I read it was good to keep track of that for maintenance, etc.
  • Options
    SharonSharon Member Posts: 13
    I have kept a SplashT@B notebook from the day that I picked her up at the dealer in March of 2007. It contains my packing checklists, menus, campground maps, journaling, postcards from local sights, business cards, manuals and instruction booklets, receipts, mileage, and much, much more. Each year I clean it out and start out anew. Everything is stored in big 4" notebooks (2 so far) for quick reference. I also create a Shutterfly book using my camping photos from big trips so those photos don't sit forgotten on a CD.
  • Options
    Texas State Park camping sites are booking fast. Should have called earlier to get a lake view site at Tyler SP. It appears to be a beautiful park, no matter the site.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    We cancelled our side trip through Arches for the same reason, though our changed itinerary seems like it will work out better. Ended up booking at Dead Horse Point SP for the return though, so I just have to convince Becky that she wants to ditch work for another week :-D

I, too, have been booking sites for fear of having no place to go when I get there, though I am taking a chance in the Denver area. There is a small, municipal campground in Golden, CO, which has a perfect location, but does not take reservations, you call the morning of and get placed on a list if a site frees up that day. A big chance to take, but the campground is in easy biking distance of everything I want to see in the area except Lakeside Park.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Nathan -- Are you referring to Clear Creek RV Park in Golden? I've never camped there, but it's in a good location. You could also try Bear Creek Lake Park Campground (City of Lakewood), which DOES take reservations. It is located 1/2 mile off of I-470, has bike paths, and isn't too far from the Golden campground. It probably isn't as scenic as the Golden location, though. If your stay will be over a weekend in the Denver area, I would highly advise having a reservation. :-w There just aren't many choices that are close to the city here. Rv'ing is VERY popular in this area, and people scarf up the spots on weekends!!
  • Options
    Nathan .... we're staying at Spanish Trail RV Park in Moab on the 13 and 14th. Passport America rate is $21 with FHU, Wi-Fi and Cable.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I always manage to squeeze in somewhere and travel by the seat of my pants most of the time, "destination unknown." Boon-docking isn't all bad and understandably CA is going to fill up quickly and is why I wouldn't camp there unless it was during the spring time. I've found that most places keep an extra space open and are accommodating. On the flip side there are national forest areas out there and federal land where you can set up if need be. I've camped on BLM land and am a survivor when I travel and is why the LG works well for me in remote areas. I have solar power and can easily live off the grid if I have to.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Oh no! the transmission light came on the Explorer today. Couldn't locate the problem this afternoon. Gotta take it in early to another dealer location. We had planned to leave early Thursday am on our first road trip.
  • Options
    Yes Beth, looking to get in at Clear Creek, just a perfect location. I have a list of alternates if I can't get in there, and it is mid-week so I should be able to find a spot somewhere. I figure I can even try the second day if I strike out on the first day and just move.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    joansiejoansie Member Posts: 19
    Ron and Joan, 2007 T@B Fireball, 2010 Forester The Pull T@B
  • Options
    Neil, I thought about staying in one of the campgrounds in Moab, but really wanted to be out and away from things for a few nights.  I think Dead Horse Point will fit the bill for that.  Love PA though, great rate for a full hook-up.  I will be using it a few times on my trip west.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    We got carried away and joined Passport America, KOA, Good Sam and AAA since we got Columbia  :P
  • Options
    Stick to federal and state campgrounds unless it's an absolute last resort no where else to go situation.  Want a life changing experience from watching a DVD?  Check out Ken Burn's, "America's Best Idea"!!!  It will make you want to become a traveling wanderer to ALL beautiful National Parks.  I take the set with me in T@b