Options

So easy! Great 1st day of 1st camping trip!

RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
It took us all of twenty minutes to completely set up, including the Clam screen porch, which we love. AC works great, but not so much the Norcold refrigerator. Hoping that improves in time. We are now kicking back, bug free, with our wine and cheese, crackers, apples. Dogs on laps.  Happy campers!

B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    edited April 2016
    Getting your opinion on setting up the Clam screen. Do you use 2 people? Another member said they didn't have difficulty but Wanderoo said it's nowhere as easy as the video makes it out to be (for one person) and was difficult. I bought the smaller model but haven't tried yet. Since I'll be traveling solo I'm hoping I can handle it (and got it because of that video!) Going to try soon and get some tips from Wanderoo. Just wondered what you thought. I think the one in your pic is the larger one? Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    I think ours is small, maybe 6 x 6 and it took us both to figure it out the first time (yeah, we did not read instructions).  The light part goes on top and there is no floor (we put ours over the rug).  Once we got that sorted it was super easy.  I'm pretty sure I could do it myself, without my husband.  Get two sides popped out, then get inside to do final side and roof. Easier than anything else I've tried, tent-wise.  Sure, it's easier with two people, but one can do it with mabe a tiny bit of practice.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Regarding The Clam, Martin and Jennifer love theirs!  They say the key to set up is to pull on one of the sides next to the door FIRST (its in the instructions).  Regarding the Norcold, make sure your T@B is as close to level as possible.  From the photo, it looks like it might be a little nose high.  Welcome to the club!  You will love your T@B as the rest of us do.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    We are very level.  Norcold is chugging along.  Top of counter over fridge is hot, but read that is common.  Clam is really wonderful.  Spent this morning reorganizing and finding places for storage.  Funny, the microwave went into the truck, although right this second I wish I could warm up my tea.  Both AC and Alde work great.  Unfortunately, a rainy day, but Walmart and Camping Workd are on the agends.  We slept fine on beds as twins, but need to jetison the back dinette pillow when sleeping. We are surrounded now by huge campers that took hours to set up!
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I think ours is small, maybe 6 x 6 and it took us both to figure it out the first time (yeah, we did not read instructions).  The light part goes on top and there is no floor (we put ours over the rug).  Once we got that sorted it was super easy.  I'm pretty sure I could do it myself, without my husband.  Get two sides popped out, then get inside to do final side and roof. Easier than anything else I've tried, tent-wise.  Sure, it's easier with two people, but one can do it with maybe a tiny bit of practice.
    Outback AZ said: They say the key to set up is to pull on one of the sides next to the door FIRST (its in the instructions).

I viewed the video before I purchased the Clam. It looked REALLY easy. The issue Wanderoo said is that pulling the sides out isn't as easy as the video shows (how the guy just pulls and it pops open). She had to get inside the Clam and push with her foot to get it to open. Now it may make a different if one is taller and has more leverage. I'm 5'1" so may run into the same issue - will try it in a few weeks when I'm visiting her. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    We are very level.  Norcold is chugging along.  Top of counter over fridge is hot, but read that is common.  Clam is really wonderful.  Spent this morning reorganizing and finding places for storage.  Funny, the microwave went into the truck, although right this second I wish I could warm up my tea.  Both AC and Alde work great.  Unfortunately, a rainy day, but Walmart and Camping Workd are on the agends.  We slept fine on beds as twins, but need to jetison the back dinette pillow when sleeping. We are surrounded now by huge campers that took hours to set up!

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Do you have a switch mounted near your frig?  Our dealer installed one for us to alleviate that excessive heat that can build up.  
    The newer models have those installed at the factory.  It makes a big difference.  I have found it isn't necessary to constantly run that fan.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Confused.  Ours is newest possible model.  Norcold worked better on propane.  Might just be first timer issues.  Frustrated with Alde.  It got really cold last night and the darn thng still reads 44 degrees, no matter how I set it.  No idea what actual inside temp is.  Odd.  Must read manual.
  • Options
    What fan and how would I run it?  What kunds of switch?
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Looks nice, where did you camp?

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    We were in Gettysburg, at Roundtop Campground. I figured out the fan switchon Norcold.  Worked well!
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited April 2016
    What fan and how would I run it?  What kunds of switch?
    If you have the newest tab with 3 way fridge, you have an aux fan built into the right side of your fridge compartment that vents to a white vent grate on the outside of the tab just to the right of the tab main door.  Inside, above the fridge, there is a rocker switch (see photo) that you have to manually turn I and off to start the aux fan. This will draw the hot air away from the countertop.  When on there is either a green or blue led light glowing. Mine is blue. You will also hear the fan running. Hope this helps. 

Higher up in the string you say the Alde works great but now it doesn't work. It sounds as though there is a fuse blown somewhere. Search for "Alde fuse" on here and you will find several discussions with photos showing you where the likely culprit is located under the back bench on the Alde unit under the black lid (and some others worth checking like at the breaker box.)

Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thanks for explaining about that switch.  I figured it out when leaving camp when I shut down the fridge.  Nice to know how it wirks, though.  The Alde worked like a beast, but turns out, I had excessive cold air from outside blowing in around AC.  Happens yo blow right on thermostat, to confuse things more.  It was weirdly cold and very very windy last night.  We have had several suggestions for solutions, so that isn't going to happen again.  Thanks to all.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    You're welcome (and I saw the other string re: cutting vent holes to distribute the hot air coming up from the back bench and floor near dinette). Luckily for me in CA, my heating needs are not anything like yours so I am ok with losing a bit of heat to cracks around the AC right now.

Now come summertime when I am cooking in the desert @120 degrees and my cold AC air is escaping through those cracks I will feel differently. Insulating is on my list of to dos before summer for sure!  Happy camping!!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    We were in Gettysburg, at Roundtop Campground. I figured out the fan switchon Norcold.  Worked well!
    OK, cool.  Camped there once for a spring shakedown.  Not a bad campground, nice staff.  There were a lot of permanent residents as well, they were all very friendly.

I think so far my favorite campground in the area has been Granite Hill, though some friends really love Gettysburg Campground (on 116 just SW of town).

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    We plan to try Gettysburg for another nearby trip.  Last time we were at Granite, i loved it but it was very hard to get level there.  Then again, I didnt have the BAL then or much experience.  We also like Drummer Boy.
  • Options
    Yes, a lot of their sites are not even remotely level.  We found the perfect T@B site last visit though:

Sterling, VA