Options

Is the Outback worth the upgrade cost?

New here to the forum.  Put a deposit down on a Max S to pick up in May but have debated switching to the Outback model.  It will be a 2017 if I do switch and raise the total cost by $3,500 ($1,000 for going up to a 2017 and $2500 for upgrading to an Outback).  For the most part, I will be in campgrounds with hookups but am debating whether the additional clearance would be nice to have if I do attempt some rougher roads....but can't decide if "nice to have' is worth an additional $3,500.  Would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    If you're going to be in campsites with hook-ups, then I would say "no," the upgrades are unnecessary.  Use the money elsewhere.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    hilokya said:
    New here to the forum.  Put a deposit down on a Max S to pick up in May but have debated switching to the Outback model.  It will be a 2017 if I do switch and raise the total cost by $3,500 ($1,000 for going up to a 2017 and $2500 for upgrading to an Outback).  For the most part, I will be in campgrounds with hookups but am debating whether the additional clearance would be nice to have if I do attempt some rougher roads....but can't decide if "nice to have' is worth an additional $3,500.  Would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!
    If you only need thru clearance and not anything else, you can request that with your order. I have just the axle upgrade, and I think that is fine with me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I tow with a Tacoma 4x4, but I typically don't do "off roading".  I camped 61 nights out of 93 without electrical at my various campsites in AZ and the travels to and from AZ, and I never did feel the need to have a taller T@B. I was able to get into campsites that were just a sandy spot between creosote bushes, up and down short banks of sand and never had a problem. I always figured I could if needed, use my truck to knock down sandy slopes for the T@B. I've met Frank and he needs an Outback, but I can't justify the price difference for me.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    For me, the larger tub (nice to have if you are considering solar or a large battery upgrade), the additional storage on the racks on the front, getting the the spare tire from under the trailer and making it much more accessible on a rear rack, and lastly the additional clearance and suv tires made it the right choice for me. I had a Silver Shadow prior to my T@B and had a problem with dragging at some gas stations and entrances in hilly areas so l was happy to get the additional clearence of the Outback. If you are going to camp in state or federal parks the additional ground clearence is also a plus. In the end, it depends  on your personal style of camping.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You can order the diamond plate tub and front platform with any model. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have the diamond plate tub and, yes, it is larger than the stock tubs. I have a propane tank, two 6V golf cart batteries, two "normal" electrical extension cords and my wheel chocks in there. They fit very well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    On my 2016, I was able to get the Outback axel at no additional cost.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    hilokyahilokya Member Posts: 2
    The extras on the Outback do sound nice but as boo said, you can buy a lot of goodies with $3,500 and it sounds like the standard model will be sufficient for the type of camping I plan on doing.  Thanks for the input everyone!  Much appreciated.