Options

Positive feedback about New England t@b dealerships.

IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
edited April 2016 in Factory Comments
After reading many posts & looking at the few dealerships in my area, it looks like Miller Trailer Sales in PA looks very reputable.
Husband and I currently live in central CT and while researching dealerships, I have found 1 true RV dealership here in the state, 2 'dealerships' in Mass that look like mostly used car sales lots and 1 in Vermont that looks, well the same. I think I'll pass on the car dealership option. Not sure they'll have the best quality service if they are selling used Corollas from the same lot.
We are both of the mindset that we will drive whatever distance it requires to purchase our t@b from a trustworthy source. Ok, perhaps not Alaska, although that would make one hell of a fun road trip.

Any t@b owners who have has positive dealings with dealerships in this region?
Any thoughts on Miller Trailer Sales and/or specific folks who work there whom I should form a relationship with?

As always, thank you all very much for sharing your insight and experiences. I'm learning a ton each time I log in here!

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    So Patsy at Miller replied to my email inquiry in 9 minutes. THATS impressive!

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Finding a good dealer, someone you'll be happy working with, is very important.  I have read on this forum some very good things about Millers.  My dealer experience was not so good, and believe me, I would gladly have driven a few extra miles to another one if I had known.  Good luck.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Preston Miller, who with his wife Patsy, runs Miller Trailer Sales, is a master mechanic with two shops, and this is a side business of his.  They are avid campers and motorcyclists, so they love smaller trailers.  The story is they got into selling Little Guy trailers because they happened to be in Sugar Creek and visited the factory.  They were not big enough to purchase the minimum number of trailers to become a LG dealer (I think the number is six) but the folks at LG saw that they were so passionate they allowed them to start the dealership with three trailers.

HERE is a podcast interview with them from a couple of years ago.

We bought our T@B after renting a 6 wide from them and finding that my wife didn't care for it.

Preston did the hitch install on my TV and when it came time to pick up the T@B did a complete, two hour walk through of the unit.  Excellent service and I highly recommend them.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Dan Kearney (dankearneysusedcars.com) in Rutland VT is an RV and Tab dealer and was excellent to work with. Highly recommended! (Others have said the same)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Wow Cyclonic, that's quite a testimonial!

Well, Dan Kearney's was great to deal with, even though they might sell 'used Corollas' in the same lot. (And no, we "don't know them from Adam", we're just happy customers).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I feel its a valid concern. That being said, I contacted them via email. Waiting for a reply & will 
    most likely drive up there to talk to someone in person.

• Options
    IrishCamper74, don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly reasonable approach to choosing a dealer.

I admit, I gulped pretty hard when I spotted the used car place. It looks just as you'd expect. 

But they were recommended by Joe at Little Guy (the owner of Little Guy?), when I spoke with him on the phone, so I depended on that.

I've also learned too many times, with car dealerships anyway, that 'big and fancy' doesn't necessarily mean a 'reliable' dealer. 

So I try to balance that.

Good luck!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Jo_chrisJo_chris Member Posts: 21
    Hello my husband and I recently purchased our T@B from Dan Kearney in VT. We are also located in CT so my only negative is distance, that being said, he was great to work with, well his son Joe is the man to see. He is very knowledgable and a nice guy. We jumped the gun on spring and dewinterized and put water into the system; then the temperatures dropped and we had to re-winterize. My husband called Joe one night after work and with noisy kids in the background he talk him through the winterizing process. We are new to the rv world so his patience was much appreciated!
  • Options
    Yeah, Joe was who we worked with. 

Our Tab was to arrive at the dealership on Wednesday, so we'd said we'd be there on Thursday afternoon, a 5.5 hour drive for us.

It turned out that the Tab truck was delayed due to a detour, and didn't arrive til 11pm Wednesday night. Joe stuck around to receive the truck that night so he could have our camper prepped by the time we arrived.

He could have called us and told us it was late, but he didn't. We'd scheduled our work week around the trip, so it would have been a drag to reschedule. 

He had all the paperwork ready, took the time to go over every little operational detail for us (on our first-ever camper), took our picture for us, and sent us on our way.

Good business!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I communicated with Joe before we bought our T@B. He was very responsive via email, and seemed fair and upfront with regard to price. Glad to know my impressions were accurate.

I didn't end up buying from him because we found a T@B we wanted much closer to home (Rutland is over six hours one way). I did say I would pass along a good word if anyone was T@B shopping in his neck of the woods--consider the good word passed!

IrishCamper74, sounds like you have the good fortune of at least two quality dealers to shop with.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thats impressive, ChanW. I emailed them &  Joe got back to me pretty quickly. I want to make a trip up there, possibly this weekend. 

• Options
    Irish, it depends on what you're looking for. He's a small operation.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ADKersADKers Member Posts: 13
    We purchased from Kearney's and they have been good.  Even have helped troubleshoot over the phone to get our heater working.  Great people. 
  • Options

Joe Kearney has been pretty informative thus far through email. I agree with ChanW on this; the bigger the dealership, doesn't always translate into better service.

Hopefully within the next few weeks, I can place the order!

• Options
    KiddydocKiddydoc Member Posts: 15
    We had a wonderful experience purchasing our T@B from Miller Trailer Sales in PA. Patsy and Preston were a dream to deal with!   We live in RI and since they had family in the Boston area they offered to deliver our T@B to our door.  We had Preston install a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller as well as sewer hose storage compartment.  WE had plenty of time in our driveway for Preston to review all the features of our trailer.  There was one problem after delivery with our refrigerator starting on propane, but with a few calls to Patsy who contacted Pleasant Valley for us we were able to arrange for a local RV dealer that serviced Norcold to correct the problem.  All in all a great purchasing experience and very fair pricing.