Options

New (and newbie) T@B in Minnesota

twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
I brought home my 2014 T@B CS-S on Thursday, 7/03/14.  I am super excited and a bit nervous for its maiden voyage later this month near the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota.  I expect the dogs and I will give it a try in the driveway before the trip.  I'm both a new T@B owner and a new camper/trailer owner, so all suggestions and feedback are welcome.  I have seen some great ideas on this forum and will be a frequent reader as I become more experienced.  I am seeking some immediate input on hitch configuration from owners that drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door).  Mine is a 2012 model.
Beth
Minnesota
Practicing to be a wanderer
2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual

Comments

• Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2014
    Welcome, twocutes . We, too, are from Minnesota and are first-time RV owners. We took possession of our T@B in April but didn't have a tow vehicle until a week or so ago. We are tentatively planning our maiden voyage in 2-3 weeks. Do you live in the Minneapolis area?

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    twocutes said:
    I am seeking some immediate input on hitch configuration from owners that drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door).  Mine is a 2012 model.
    I'd be curious as to exactly what you are seeking in the above question?   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Michigan_Mike - The height difference between the T@B trailer and the Jeep hitch is about 6 inches.  I wasn't able to find a 6" drop ball mount when I needed it, so used a 4" drop.  The trailer isn't completely level, but it did tow fine on the 70 mile return trip from the dealer.  Someone at the dealer suggested I try a 6" drop.  My concern is that my driveway is quite steep and the back of the T@B cleared by just a couple of inches on the way up, going forward.  I'm looking for some experienced advice on navigating a steep driveway and not scraping the rear of the T@B or the trailer tongue.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    PaulaK - Thanks!  I live in the south metro of the Twin Cities area - Lakeville.  I look forward to some story sharing!

Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    You do want to attain "level" as much as possible when towing a trailer but I don't see that as a deal breaker, especially if the trailer tows fine and you are not getting any sway and back and forth action while driving.  When you see that happening on the road it is most likely an incorrect trailer hitch set-up or a result of too much weight to the rear of the trailer and not enough weight over center (toward the TV) and on the tongue of the trailer unit.   And with the steep incline you are probably just going to need to take it slow and easy and hope that it doesn't bottom out often and pick and choose where you take your T@B.  

ETrailer has a 6" ball drop and many other custom hitch adapters that you can order.   One thing about this company too is that they are great to work with and have one of the fastest shipping operations available.   I would highly recommend this company and have been more than satisfied with past orders I have placed with them.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We ordered a 6" drop from etrailer. It came quickly. Made a big difference in how the T@B tows.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer