Options

Upright cooler? Or organizing methods for regular coolers?

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
We depend on a cooler to supplement the three way fridge, and I was trying to figure some way to keep the cooler more organized.

Upright with shelves would help, but they're not very easy to find, and not really very efficient with the cool air 'falling out' when you open the door.

We have a chest freezer at home, which is usually just as disorganized as our camping cooler is. An upright with shelves would be easier to organize.

Any ideas for an upright cooler?

Or good ways to organize a regular one?
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Sorry about the crummy picture. We have a Coleman cooler that came with a tiny plastic bin. I ditched that and got a couple Rubbermaid storage containers that fit on the ledges near the top. I use those for veggies, cheese, and the like that I want to keep up out of the water. 
  • Options
    When I take meat I first put it in a freezer ziplock and put that in a waterproof lock n lock container, which gets buried in the ice. 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We use a vacuum sealer for a lot of stuff we throw in the cooler...less worry about gett No soggy and takes up less space. I would think a vertical cooler might not be as effective at cooling...stuff on top would be warmer.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I think that's the way to go Photomom. Inner containers, keeping things above the water.

Yes Durango, that's why we usually put things like chips, bread, crackers, cereal boxes, etc on top, cuz it doesn't need to be cool, and to keep them dry.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yeah, just measure and buy containers accordingly. The nice thing about the Coleman coolers is the ledge you can use to support bins. The ones I have hold a lot of food.
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe the layer method is a plan. It would make it easier to replace the ice too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    I built a cold smoker out of an old cooler. We hot glued 4 cans in the corners and have a rack that sits on top of them. The ice goes in and then the rack goes on top of the cans with bacon & cheeses on the rack to stay out of the ice/water.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"