Options

T@B bike rack...does anyone own the one from LG?

rodsgliderodsglide Member Posts: 7
edited October 2014 in Products and Accessories
We were using a hitch bike rack for our Rough Rider 5 wide, but are upgrading to a T@B and are considering purchasing the rack they sell specifically for the T@B.  Anyone have one and how do you like it mounted above the storage compartment on the front?

Comments

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    I bought the rack they sell and had it mounted before I picked up the T@b.  It works as advertised and I am pleased with it.  When you do not want to take it along it easily detaches from the two upright bars.  You do need to reposition the bars to access the LP or battery but it is easy to do that.
    Carolyn
    2014 T@b CS
    Tabula Rasa
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    rodsgliderodsglide Member Posts: 7
    Our bikes don't have flat boy bike frames , what holds the bikes upright ?
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Here is a photo of the rack. The top attachment points can be turned so you might be able to make it work.image
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    Hi Carolyn - do you know if they had to adjust the hitch on either the Tab side or your tow vehicle side to make room for the bikes?

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    We also ordered the bike rack with our T@B new, and love it.  It is just two metal brackets and a bar attached to the tongue next to the battery / propane box.  The way it's mounted, the bikes sit almost over the box (very close to the T@B itself) so they are far away from the tow vehicle.

Other than the absolutely ridiculous price they charge for it, they work extremely well for carrying up to 2 bikes. :)  You can remove the upper portion if you don't need to carry bikes to save weight.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    KtlucasKtlucas Member Posts: 6
    Hi.  We are brand new to this forum.  We recently bought a used 2008 T@B and want to put a bike rack on the front over the propane tank as we see in all the pictures.   Where do we buy one?
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    LG sells them at teardropshop.com. Pricey, though. One thing to consider is that with the rack on the trailer, you'd need to bring the trailer with you whenever you want to transport bikes. So, if you set up camp and unhitch for several days and then want to drive to a trailhead or something to ride your bikes, you'd need to hitch the trailer, take down the side tent, whatever.. That may or may not be an issue for you, but something to consider and think through before making a $600 investment. http://teardropshop.com/collections/t-b-accessories/products/t-b-bike-rack
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    KtlucasKtlucas Member Posts: 6
    Excellent point Lisa33.  I think we'll just stick to transporting the bikes on top of the SUV.  Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought about the logistics of that scenario.

• Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    I thought about carrying our regular bike rack too, but, space-wise, that doesn't really make much sense. Unless we buy a bigger TV......

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    After reading the comment about having to tow the T@B in order to use the bikes anywhere other than from where we would happen to be camping, I checked into carrying the bikes on top of the car, along with the kayaks we usually have with us.   While I had to order wider Yakima crossbars to accommodate both kayaks and bikes, even with that extra cost, the total cost is less than half what the T@B bike carrier is.   And we won't have to tow the trailer in order to bike somewhere other than the campground.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    I just posted this link on the LG forum in response to another question. I'd love to see someone give one of these Seasucker racks a try. Seems like they might be a great solution for someone. I'm currently grounded with a massive whole house restoration following a burst pipe/flood this past winter. No new toys for me right now! :( http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=seasucker+bike+rack&rh=i:aps,k:seasucker+bike+rack
  • Options
    RondoRondo Member Posts: 2
    I bought a couple of fold up bikes from Walmart.  They tuck inside the Tab.  Six speed and work great.  Can also be tucked inside the car if you want.
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2014
    Rondo said:
    I bought a couple of fold up bikes from Walmart.  They tuck inside the Tab.  Six speed and work great.  Can also be tucked inside the car if you want.

Rondo, how exactly do you "tuck [the bikes] inside" the T@B? And where do you store the bikes while camping so they are safe from weather and theft? I have been eye-ing them but have had these concerns.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have a Swagman Towing Bike Rack that fits around the draw bar.  You need to get an extended draw bar to do this, better then 11", but it places the bikes on the TV between the TV and T@Bpole.  Very easy solution and I took two bikes 5800 miles in June with no problems at all.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    KathyKathy Member Posts: 7
    Will the LG Bike Rack hold a women's road bike (no long bar)
  • Options
    Yep, it can.  It has two adjustable arms with "hands" which will grasp the frame in most any location.  For this bike in the picture, you could attach one arm just below the seat post, and another one to the middle/upper part of the curved frame bar(s).

If you were carrying two bikes, just one arm to below the seatpost would suffice.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Question for T@B owners with the T@B bike rack.  When the bikes are loaded on the bike rack, do they move the rack back and forth from braking, accelerating and bouncing from the road.  In other words, fully loaded, does the rack hit the front of the trailer.  We traded in our 2014 2 dr Wrangler, for 2015 4 dr Wrangler, so we now have ample tongue weight capacity for the weight of the bikes on the front of the trailer.
    Thanks
    Jeff
  • Options
    It seems to hold the bikes steady. Its not at all like those hitch carriers--this one is bolted straight to the camper's frame.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52
    A bit of a sidebar here, love the idea of taking my bike but just realized I have my 15 pound doggie!  What do you single travelers do with your best friends when you go on a bike excursion?  DD
    Seattle, Wa
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I can trust Sunny Day to nap and not tear up anything.  She's happy when I get back, yawning and stretching from her nap.

If you can't trust your dog to behave, you might want to put it in a crate on the floor of the T@B.  (You don't want it to fall off of the seat/bed.)  

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    If you google Bike trailer, there is one that folds flat
    InSTEP Sync Single Bicycle Trailer
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    For my 11-lb dog, I got a basket for the handlebars.  At first, he wasn't sure what to think about riding on a bike, but he got the hang of it!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sunny Day loves her milk crate on the rack on the rear of the bike.  I haven't taken her on the new bike yet.  We'll see...as soon as my spring slows down with those "Verna Do's List".
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    lavndrbluelavndrblue Member Posts: 9
    We are towing a T@B CS-S Max with a Ford F150 and want to add a bike rack.  We've looked at the Swagman XC2. Does anyone have experience using this bike rack?  I know we would need a longer ball mount but am concerned about the turning clearance.  I've also looked at a Swagman XCS platform style -  http://www.etrailer.com/p-S64664.html 

Thanks in advance for your ideas and recommendations!  
    Kris & Cathy
    Minnesota
    2016 T@B M@X CS-S pulled with a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    lavndrblue - No experience with it but be aware that a tongue extender cuts your allowable tongue weight way down. Search the forums for detail, has been discussed a few times.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I can answer the question about transporting a woman's bike. I use one of these and it works well. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Tension-Bicycle-Cross-Bar/dp/B000ELSSZE
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York