Options

HELP? X-country trip with T@B signal lights keep blowing

Has anyone encountered where their tale lights keep blowing due to blown fuses at both the battery terminal of the RV as well as the car battery terminal 30 amp fuse? 

We disconnected the terminals at the RV battery, used the 7-way plug and the car battery fuse still blew.  
An RV service place yesterday tested the 7-way switch and said it "was wired correctly" 
We are in IL heading into Iowa, if anyone knows a good service place to recommend on the way to Omaha area? ? 

We'll listen to any possible suggestions.  We're beginning to think that there is an exposed wire or something from the car battery to the 7 way switch.  Any thoughts or similar experiences? 

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2016
    You need to check out the wiring beneath the vehicle as it sounds like something is going directly to ground beneath your vehicle.  I would look for a Camping World facility or possibly a U-Haul center and let them check things out.

Did your lights work properly before?   Sounds like things are shorting out beneath electrical tape possibly, where splices were made or possibly have rubbed against the vehicle frame and a hot wire is shorting out.  You will need to get the vehicle up on a hoist where the wiring can be examined and repairs made.  It is all a process of elimination, but it is definitely a hot wire that has shorted out via contact with a ground, either the vehicle frame or against a ground wire.  

Additionally there is a Little Guy dealesrship in Omaha that might be able to assist you with this issue or guide you to a competent repair facility.  

Select Auto

6211 L St., 
    Omaha, NE 68117
    Phone: 402-731-2325
    Contact Name: Ray
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ADKersADKers Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, Mike -- this concurs with what we were suspecting.  So, I appreciate your advice.  We will call some dealer(s) - service centers around here to see.  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited April 2016
    Had that exact same thing happening going across WY - Original installer ran the hot wire (and brake controller wire) too close to the exhaust manifold. They finally burnt through, were shorting out and blowing both battery fuses. Had it rewired in Laramie. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ADKers said:
    Has anyone encountered where their tale lights keep blowing due to blown fuses at both the battery terminal of the RV as well as the car battery terminal 30 amp fuse? 

We disconnected the terminals at the RV battery, used the 7-way plug and the car battery fuse still blew.  
    An RV service place yesterday tested the 7-way switch and said it "was wired correctly" 
    We are in IL heading into Iowa, if anyone knows a good service place to recommend on the way to Omaha area? ? 

We'll listen to any possible suggestions.  We're beginning to think that there is an exposed wire or something from the car battery to the 7 way switch.  Any thoughts or similar experiences? 
    I had a problem with my lights - it was a bad ground on the T@b, which was only about 2 months old. I was in Colorado and went to a Camping World as no other dealer could fit me in. It took them a little while (an hour or so to find the problem, but they didn't charge me to fix it!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ADKersADKers Member Posts: 13
    We are currently at a NICE hitch installer recommended by the Omaha RV big dealer.  They diagnosed EXACTLY  what PXLated said: 
    "Had that exact same thing happening going across WY - Original installer ran the hot wire (and brake controller wire) too close to the exhaust manifold. They finally burnt through, were shorting out and blowing both battery fuses. Had it rewired in Laramie. " 

They are re-running the wire now.  If we still have issues, we'll check what ST_Bob says...underneath.  THANKS! 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yeah! Glad your problem has been diagnosed. On with the trip!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ye ha - Glad I was of help and you got it fixed.