Options

The Other Brakes...Are They Working?

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
There have been several discussions on electric brakes and controllers, but I don't recall anyone confirming the operation of their surge brakes.  (This does not apply to those with a Dutchmen T@B -- the ones with the piston and handle on the tongue.)  If you have the other type surge brakes on the LG T@B, have you ever confirmed that they actually work?  I've put 20,000 miles on mine, but I cannot say for sure that they have ever actually engaged.

Of course, I have never had to do a hard stop while towing it, and I tow with a full-sized pickup, so the truck brakes pretty much handle the stopping chore.  I am curious, however, about whether the brakes would work if I really needed them.  Is there a way for one person to check out the operation (outside of slamming on the brakes while towing)?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have no idea how to confirm that they actually work.  I have a lighter vehicle then you, but have never had a stopping issue at all, so I have always assumed they are working as they should.

Honestly, I don't even think about them, and I should check up on them and see if there is maintenance needed beyond checking the pads.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Could you go to a parking lot, hit the brakes hard and see if the trailer locks up an creates some short skid marks - Or maybe soft gravel and see if it looks like something drug across rather than rolled?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I felt my surge brakes brake when some idiot cut me out in a 50 mile backup on I-10 west of Phoenix, Larry.  When Mr. Mayes repacked my wheel bearings last fall he checked my brakes. He said they were fine. He said to check the brake fluid level and to only use #5 DOT fluid. I haven't found #5 yet, but the fluid level looks OK. Mr. Mayes owns a well known utility trailer business and I trust him. 

I guess, maybe find an empty parking lot and stop quickly going about 10mph or so. 

After 3 months of towing, and home for 2 1/2 wks, it still feels strange to be able to see out my back window and to not see the T@B behind me. I'm still allowing that extra, extra cushion in front of me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Guess I could empty out all the loose stuff and do a hard stop.  I did a visual inspection and cleaned everything out with brake cleaner when I did the bearings earlier.  Also tried to do an adjustment following YouTube videos.  Have to assume I got it right.

Verna, I understand about the following thing.  When I first started towing, my heart did a flip a couple of times when I looked in the rear view and saw what I thought was a large vehicle tailgating. :)  Then after the first long trip, I'd look up and for a second think I'd lost the trailer.

I guess the best scenario would be that I never have to find out if they work...but, I want to be sure.  Safety first.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2016
    The way I check them is to do some higher speed hard braking, and then quickly feel the Tab's brake drums to see if they're warm.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I've also been reminded that they work when I've tried backing up into a bumpy campsite or a more-than-slight grade. They will tend to engage in those cases. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I've also been reminded that they work when I've tried backing up into a bumpy campsite or a more-than-slight grade. They will tend to engage in those cases. 
    That's another thing that concerns me.  I don't recall that ever happening to me.  Since I live in hilly country, I should be able to take it out to the pasture and try to back it up grade and see what happens.  I will do that.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited April 2016
    The 'bumpy campsite' for me was actually the entrance to my barn, where there's a 3-inch root bump that caused the brake to engage.

Also,You know about the switch that disables the brake? (Knob on the right side)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Also,You know about the switch that disables the brake? (Knob on the right side)
    Yes, thanks, and I've even forgotten to switch it a time or two when backing.  Maybe it was just level grade, but the brakes did not engage.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map