Options

Please help with zamp plug-in for a RENOGY 110w solar panel with controller

First of all, hello fellow T@B owners! 
I just purchased a RENOGY 100W suitcase solar kit With controller. I would like to use the ZAMP fitting going into the battery compartment. I have located a ZAMP adapter cord to fit. My question is this.. Can I cut the alligator clamps off and simply install the ZAMP adapter? 
Second question is, where can I find a socket to use on my cordless drill for the stabilizer feet?
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2016
    Welcme, Eric. Yes, just cut the aligator clips off, verify which wire is positive and make sure that wire will connect that to the positive (red) terminal of the Zamp plug before splicing. Do the same with the negative wire. 

And, we do have a search up on the upper right of this page. One word searches do best, but I sure couldn't remember that the socket was called a "t-slot for scissor jacks"!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Welcome, and what Verna said.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    edited May 2016
    I just did the Zamp modification with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MYDR15I/ref=twister_B00MXFE0E2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As an added bonus, I spliced the unused end  of the SAE cable onto the original Renogy battery clamps so I can still use those if needed. I don't recall which end I spliced where, but as Verna suggested, it shouldn't be too hard to verify which wire is which.

Make sure you splice the SAE connector downstream of the 10amp fuse included in the Renogy harness.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    To: ScottG, JustJohn & Verna, thanks for the helpful info!!!!!!!!! Eric
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    I have 10AWG, will this work. Thanks
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    edited May 2016
    Jltab said:
    I have 10AWG, will this work. Thanks
    Yes. The Renogy suitcase uses 14AWG throughout (which is more than sufficient to carry the <10 amps from the panals). Though it's counter-intuitive, 10AWG is larger than 14AWG. Wire must be sized for the amperage it needs to carry. It's always ok to use larger wire, but not always ok to use smaller wire.

You may find that the the heavier 10AWG wire is harder to splice, but electrically it will work fine.
    2015 T@B S