Options

Towing with an Impreza?

prplxprplx Member Posts: 29
Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with towing a Tab with a Subaru Impreza.  I have a 2009 2.5i model.  Subaru North American  says those vehicule are not for towing and towing will void the warantee (my warantee is expired anyway).  In the UK, they tell you you can pull up to 2400 lbs with the 2009 2.5i Impreza...  So I am a bit confused.

I have used my Impreza to tow trailers and stuff in the past without any problem.  I have also used it to bring the used Tab I bought home, about 120 miles, again without problem.

I am towing an 2004 Tab with surge breaks.  No sway bars.  Am I crazy to think I can use my Impreza to pull it?

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Could you tow it, sure.

Will your insurance company cover you if you get in an accident, not so sure.  An American insurance company is going to go by American manufacturer recommendations, no matter what they say in the UK or anywhere else.

Just something to be aware of.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you drive in the US, you are governed by the US laws, regulations and US insurance companies. It doesn't matter what the European towing limits are--you aren't there. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2016
    prplx said:
    Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with towing a Tab with a Subaru Impreza.  I have a 2009 2.5i model.  Subaru North American  says those vehicule are not for towing and towing will void the warantee (my warantee is expired anyway).  In the UK, they tell you you can pull up to 2400 lbs with the 2009 2.5i Impreza...  So I am a bit confused.

I have used my Impreza to tow trailers and stuff in the past without any problem.  I have also used it to bring the used Tab I bought home, about 120 miles, again without problem.

I am towing an 2004 Tab with surge breaks.  No sway bars.  Am I crazy to think I can use my Impreza to pull it?

You can certainly give it a go and see what it's like as long as your towing kit (hitch, bar and ball) are rated to handle the load which by engineering spec seems to be within the Impreza's ability. One thing you do need to keep in mind is that in the UK, when pulling caravans the speed limits are lower. It may have been a consideration in how they assessed its 2400 lbs capacity. In the US there are no mandated towing standards. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has put one out but only Toyota has tested their pickup trucks to that standard.

As for "legality", there's little keeping you. The difference between the stated capability in UK vs. US is not engineering related but due to the litigious nature in the US. It's their disclaimer that you're on your own if you attempt it in the US vs. UK. In the UK no such disclaimer is needed. Plus drivers there don't have the US mindset of "must have V8 to tow". Lesser vehicles are able to safely tow, it comes down to cultural expectations.

It reminds me of differences in engine break-in procedure for one of my cars. In Germany, proper break-in is to drive it as you would want to, including track use right out of the factory. All engines for all markets are broken-in at the factory. Where as the US version of the manual for the same configurations states, not to exceed 4200rpm, avoid aggressive acceleration and abrupt stops, shift to lower gears for climbing and stay within favorable rpm range, etc. It even goes as far as to discourage motor racing events, driving schools or other track use for the first 2000 miles. Mind you, all engines are already broken-in and bench tested at the factory before being mounted to their vehicle. When I picked up my car at the factory, I asked and they explained, you're in Germany, enjoy it, there is no break-in here. Those instructions are really "US driver break-in". To get the US drivers accustomed and avoid liability. In Germany they can't be sued for driver error. "In Germany we don't need break-in." I even asked about going to the Nurburgring, and their only recommendation was to not try to keep up, even the Golf GTI as they are often drive by expert drivers familiar with the track. Other than that, have fun!

All that being said, be mindful of how your vehicle is performing, that you're able to stay in control, and not to exceed capacities - really safe towing guidelines one should follow with any vehicle.
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    prplxprplx Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2016
    T@Buhura, my hitch is rated for 2000 pounds. 

What do you mean by "As for "legality", there's little keeping you. "?  My main concern is, the Tab looking a bit big behind the car, some over zealous officer might pull me over and check the tow rate of the car.  Am I beeing too paranoid?

I doubled check with my garagist who says there is really no problem pulling a 1500 lbs trailer with a car the size of my Impreza equipped with a 2.5i.  The breaks on it are brand spanking new too.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    prplx said:
    T@Buhura, my hitch is rated for 2000 pounds. 

What do you mean by "As for "legality", there's little keeping you. "?  My main concern is, the Tab looking a bit big behind the car, some over zealous officer might pull me over and check the tow rate of the car.  Am I beeing too paranoid?

If you are knowingly towing with a vehicle not rated for the weight you are towing, and if you have an accident, per my insurance agent, they would cover the other vehicle, but you would not be covered for your vehicle or T@B. In this day and age, by you discussing this on the Internet where nothing really disappears, this conversation shows that you are aware of the limits of your vehicle.

Your hitch may be rated at 2,000 lbs, but is your car rated to tow 2,000 lbs? The 1,670 lbs that the newer Little Guy T@B is rated at is before the propane tank and battery are added to theT@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”